1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[IRC] New starbound ship

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by plaYer2k, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MEWMEW

MEWMEW Existential Complex

That's it, as pope, I QUIT

natelovesyou and shardival like this.
  2. Eldritch

Eldritch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Top floor is going to be a vault/armory. All valuables go there behind a securely locked door, despite my ship being impossible to get to without my permission. Equipment will be displayed there, as will the weapons of worthy opponents and my retired weapons. When invited over, the first thing you will be showed is my magnificent collection of weapons taken from people that I have killed.

Middle floor will be barracks/rec room. A large amount of beds will be provided, as well as many tables and chairs for dinner guests and some assorted novelties.

Bottom floor will be filled with terrain and water. A sort of biodeck. Pets will be kept here, in order to "entertain" guests that have displeased me.

Yep, my ship is going to be hardcore.

3. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

Very nice, hope we can see a fully customized one at some point. :up:

4. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

She brought a packed lunch with her, how sweet. :)

Maiden's Tear and Kalvuric like this.
  5. Nodrak

Nodrak Void-Bound Voyager

But the more levels you have, the better the ship you have. Just like how having more wings on a plane makes it fly better!

In all seriousness, I can't wait to see the different ships :)

6. kikinaak

kikinaak Pangalactic Porcupine

I'll second the FTL reference, and the Battlestations boardgame reference it implies. I have a few thoughts after reading this thread. Will you need to add something like a launch bay to carry the dropship? What is even the point of the dropship when you can beam down? As for elevators, gravlifsts, telepads or jeffries tubes between the levels, I think the tabula rasa approach is best.

About "why would I build a planet base with that much room on the ship?" Maybe the ship can only provide so much power for systems, where a base would offer more capacity? Are there even going to be ships systems? Engines, weapons, shields, life support... the usuals. Even if there is no space combat, if theres confirmed to be devices for player movement, perhaps there are unlockable systems for the ship? Maybe certain scanners for travelling wormholes or gravity lanes or something? Special equipment for certain missions? A coating of Foobarium plot armor to allow passage of the dense and damaging sidequest nebula? Just what roles will the ship play other than travel and pimpable ride?

To quote one of my favorite robots: Need input!

7. DakoShark

DakoShark Pangalactic Porcupine

Very nice. I like that we get to see a bigger ship!

Now the question is... Can I fill it with penguins. :D

8. Kousaka

Kousaka Void-Bound Voyager

Quick question to any staff reading: Can you paint the walls of the ship? Obviously you can place your own walls and paint them, but I wanna know about the ship's default walls.

9. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

No, I am the pope.

10. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Then I have a question for you. Y U QUIT?

11. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

No, no. I am the NEW pope.

12. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

Cool! :)

I hope there's a flying saucer! ...Err a sphere? Borg cube?
    What I mean is something with a layout where the pilot is in the middle and all the other rooms surround it.

I can only imagine what kinds of wacky things people will build inside their ships...
    A ship full of dirt and fancy plants? A ship full of acid pools?! Maybe one filled to the brim with water...

13. banthesun

banthesun Subatomic Cosmonaut

Perhaps elevators aren't in the game yet, and the corridor is just a placeholder for when they're added?

14. Kousaka

Kousaka Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe that corridor has nothing in it on purpose, so people can put in whatever stairs/platforms they want.

15. Rankomonaut

Rankomonaut Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A pilot in the middle would be epic with an EMP attack ;D No visuals! Yay!

Though the pic is neat, yes. Reminds me of Star Trek at first then it reminded me on Starbound!

16. Leokins

Leokins Subatomic Cosmonaut

I thought about FTL.

17. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Actually the player can jump from the middle floor to the upper in half a second.Elevators would be useless.

18. Leokins

Teleporters to other parts of the ship would fix this uselessness of elevators. :badpokerface:

19. MEWMEW

MEWMEW Existential Complex

Or, you know, stairs...

20. Leokins

Top left side of the ship is Point A.
    Bottom left side of the ship is Point B.

You leave something at Point A, but you're all the way at Point B. Would you prefer to teleport there or take the long walk? It looks like the stairs section would be on the middle right side of the ship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.