invisible miners following my farmer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wronghandle, Nov 15, 2017.

1. wronghandle

wronghandle Star Wrangler

Strange happenings when I went back to an old save file today.

1. Sound of pickaxe. While walking across the town square, I heard the sound effect of a pickaxe striking rocks. Since when are there rocks in town? And who else besides me uses a pickaxe?

2. Animation of bark flying (as when chopping down a tree). I first noticed this happen *to a fence* along the backwoods, with the same pickaxe sound effect. It happened again in Calico Desert while I was harvesting honey by the pond - the chink-chink sound, with little chips of bark in the air in the mouth of the cavern. I checked the cavern but didn't see anyone in that little entrance area.

Any thoughts?

• Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

Maybe your game is haunted? Every once in a while I will hear the sound of a chest opening when there isn't a chest anywhere near me. I just put it down to a sound glitch.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

"Late last night and the night before,Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers, knocking at the door.

I want to go out, don't know if I can, 'Cause I'm so afraid of the Tommyknocker man."

Tamriel_Bound likes this.
        • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Was it storming? Could have been lightning hitting paths and trees on your farm. That stuff can be seen and heard anywhere you are for some buggy reason :p

MagicallyClueless likes this.
          • wronghandle

Fair weather all 3 times. I didn't know about hearing lightning tear up paths though, that's kinda cool.

• MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

yeah what minimanta said, that usually only happens when it's a thunderstorm. spooky that you heard it in fair weather!

multiplayer *mega beta*

• Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

Maybe it depends on if you play on a console or the PC. I play on a PS4 and because the X button is used for many things, picking stuff up, handing stuff to others, opening chests etc. I think the audio graphic gets confused. I've never played it on the PC so I have no idea what's going on there.

• La Chair

La Chair Big Damn Hero

Nac Mac Feegle!

nevyn21 and wronghandle like this.
                  • Chefpief

Chefpief Subatomic Cosmonaut

I get one where it sounds like putting crops in the seed machine, the crunch sound it plays. It'll play 3 or 4 times at random at least once a day. I figure it's just a basic sound glitch and nothing to worry about.

• wronghandle

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with sound glitches. So are others not encountering the random wood chip animation? That's the part that seems off to me.

ETA: Playing on a Mac, fwiw.

• Tamriel_Bound

Tamriel_Bound Void-Bound Voyager

Its Herobrine. He's made his way from Minecraft to SDV. Terraria is next. No-one is safe. Always look over your shoulder. Always be prepared.

wronghandle and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                        • wronghandle

I think I've solved the Mystery of the Pickaxe Sounds in Town! NPCs were destroying the stone walls I put in the Community Center (precisely to trace villager pathing). This triggered the sound effect, which glitched to be audible throughout the game.

This doesn't explain the little wood chip animations. Nor why, if I'm at home on my river farm, the pickaxe sound is followed by splashing (as if rocks are falling into the river). Still, I'm pretty certain I've found the underlying phenomenon.