1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Invert Gravity! - tech mod

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by SuperMandrew, Dec 12, 2013.

1. SuperMandrew

SuperMandrew Cosmic Narwhal

[​IMG]

Hey all,

New tech out yet again. This Gravitron tech allows you to invert gravity on your character. Unfortunately I haven't done sprite rotations yet, but when you hit the F key, your character will be pushed upwards and away from the planet or wherever he is. Pressing it again reverts it to normal.

This can be really useful for mining ore above large chasms without having to build a path to it, or for just moving upwards very quickly! In order to abuse "flying" via toggling it on and off quickly, the cost of activating it is somewhat high, but the drain while it's on is somewhat low to compensate.

Have fun! As before, how you get the tech into your game is up to you - I've only included the tech files.

Ideally one day we can get the gravity truly flipped, with the sprites rotated, and the characters walking on the ceiling, and jumping would push you back downwards. Hopefully soon!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    Aimay and inorite3 like this.
  2. Jecoconono

Jecoconono Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ahh.. this needs the effect in terraria where you're character actually flips upside down and the whole world goes upside down too!

When you'll make the character flip, make the whole world upside down for added confusion

3. SuperMandrew

It'd be very difficult to manipulate perspective, eg. the way the whole world works.

Right now, I'm thinking of this:

- by inverting gravity, you're pushed above, but right now we can't jump
    - we also can't change the way jump works (to push the character downwards)
    - however, we can look at the LUA code for morphball or the mech, and we'll see they do collision checks before activating
    - we also know that the bubble boost/butterfly boost is able to manipulate/push the character in any direction

Therefore, combining the idea of collision checking with the boosting idea, we can check if we're touching something above us, and if we are and we receive a jump input, to translate that into a minor respective boost (pressing just jump boosts you down slightly, right+jump boosts you down+right, and vice versa for left).

One thing I'm worried about is even if it's possible to flip the sprite, we would still need to have a trigger set in order to tell the game that we're no longer just in the air, but actually on ground and walking.

Right now, the closest thing to this is the code for the glitch spider which is in the sewers, as they are able to walk around platforms on any side, regardless of gravity. Unfortunately, that code can't help us in the current state of things.

4. Jecoconono

Get terraria, you can probably get the code off of that game

5. SuperMandrew

I'm not so much worried about the code to do it given every variable, but right now the "sandbox" LUA that the techs run doesn't give you complete control over the player, which is something you may need.

6. shakey2

shakey2 Cosmic Narwhal

It doesn't work that way =_=

7. Jecoconono

Sometimes it does. =_=

8. shakey2

shakey2 Cosmic Narwhal

You clearly don't know a thing about how programming works. The classes, functions, calls and even the language used vary greatly in software. It'd be one thing if this was being developed by the same code team as Terraria, but it's not. It's like trying to fit a square peg into the circular hole.

9. Jecoconono

Oh really? So that's why i made a mod in minecraft, starbound and made a popular place in roblox? Just edit the code to make it compatible. I dont really truss people who registered yesterday. Sorry

10. AeonsAlex

AeonsAlex Phantasmal Quasar

Gotta be said, you're right. You can just convert the code to make it C++(?). It's not that hard, you just have to rewrite it in a new language, and many coding languages are similar anyhow. It's not like doing English to Japanese, it's like doing English to slightly-old English.

11. Jecoconono

Well here's a point.
    Happy christmas everyone :)
    ..in advance.