1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing Starbounder! The Planet Project and Wiki

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Katzeus, May 16, 2013.

1. UncleCoord

UncleCoord Big Damn Hero

The universe is split into sectors however, in the streams you can see sector's A B C D, each one is huge with just a whole tonne of planets in it... all they need to do is simply add a new 'sector' and you could easily re-use coordinates or add new ones without it becoming cluttered or having to over write your game.

Katzeus likes this.
  2. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

I won't argue that, the goal is to design the framework so that people have a place to share when the beta launches.

By release date I can promise that there will be no shortage of data...

3. WolfGang

WolfGang Phantasmal Quasar

I already addressed that.
    It would leave the game feeling fragmented, and players that don't know about the new biome being only in the extra sector, may never see it. its not a "nice" way of doing it. it's a difficult problem to solve nicely.

And btw I don't mean overwriting any of your game.
    It wouldn't affect planets you had already been to and changed things on because they would be saved already. It would only affect planets you hadn't been to yet, thus leading to possible differences between games , where one player had visited a planet and the other hadn't. (of course in multiplayer this wouldn't be an issue, seeing as one player visiting it should lock it in for all the others)

Either way its just speculation

Yeh, sure you could make such a database doing the beta.
    But I was referring to doing it now as rather pointless, because you cant even lay out a reliable framework, seeing as the info you know is too sparse

All you can really do now is propose the idea and think up possible features and list them. then when the beta is out or more information is available you can go to town on it.

4. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

I actually wouldn't be surprised if someone figures out how the coordinates relate to the different biomes and codes a database that just reads in the game files.

Katzeus likes this.
  5. WolfGang

WolfGang Phantasmal Quasar

Figure out every possible generated planet.
    Make database
    ALL THE PLANETS

6. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

It's VERY similar to Minecraft. Coordinates are just like Seeds. Each planet is like a mini Minecraft world.

demanrisu and tatswaru like this.
  7. Katzeus

I've been working on the itembox template for the wiki part of the site, I'm still working on the planet infobox, that's next.

It's based off the crafting screenshot. I've been grabbing a lot of items from screenshots and adding them in as placeholder item pages, will make things a lot easier once the flood of items comes with the beta. I could use help if anyone wants to help mining items from screenshots!

Also, the I've been having a lot of fun making the 'Art' page, it needs work but you can see where it's going...

8. Katzeus

Thank you Wolf, this was really good advice.

I did some research on this, took a hard look at the comments in this thread about wikia, and migrated my site off to my own server. Aside from the ads, there are some horror stories (read about WoWwiki), I jumped ship before I got in there too deep. It took a little more time to setup then I planned, but I think it's starting to get back to where it was interface-wise. If anyone has experience working with Mediawiki don't be shy if you see something that could be better, I've made the site as open as possible, I think everything should be editable.

I've got a SQL database setup for planet data on the server where the site is hosted, the next task is going to be working on the interface to streamline uploading data, coordinates and lists for sorting/filtering by level and biome and such.

The new URL is http://starbounder.org, stop by and check it out!

9. Affero

Affero Contributor

not starbounder?

10. Katzeus

Gah, good catch Affero! Thanks!!

starbounder.org

That's the address!

11. -Winter-

-Winter- Subatomic Cosmonaut

Looks really neat! Props! Truly amazing. :DD

Katzeus likes this.
  12. Mikele97

Mikele97 Subatomic Cosmonaut

13. Katzeus

I'd be happy to! I'll split the wiki links up and add a section for foreign language wiki's, I know there are a few others out there.

Mikele97 likes this.
  14. Katzeus

Starbounder is starting to come together, thanks for the support and to everyone who's helped out so far!

I wrote up a little tutorial on adding 'Item mined' objects to the site. All you need is a screenshot and a little bit of help from an image editing program. With the images you can upload a new item in about 60 seconds and have a full page with a description, crafting ingredients and other details. I've tried to make uploading a new item really easy, take a look!

The tutorial can be found here.

15. Katzeus

The site is looking great, it looks like right now it's got more Starbound related content than any other site on the web! Thanks to everyone who's helped out on the site and offered suggestions!!

Latest update: TWITCH STEAMS

My 'weekend project' was setting up a page for featured twitch streams. Bookmark this link.

This page has the developers twitch channels all in one place. People can quickly check and see who's streaming, and even chat all in one place!!! I've got to style it a little, but it's working great, I've had it open in a tab for a few days just checking in to see if there's streams. Very handy, check it out guys!

16. MoonyJello

MoonyJello Existential Complex

17. Katzeus

Thanks for the suggestion, but aside from Dax's wiki (which is great btw, starboundgame.wikia.com) the other starbound wikis are completely empty. Why work to build a wiki even the admins haven't built up?

Also, as stated many times, the focus of the wiki is cataloging planets, and the tools to do that right aren't available on wikia (which has also been stated before). I don't want to work with wikia, it's far too limiting from a development standpoint.

Also, Hero isn't the enemy, people need to get over it. He works hard to promote his stuff, the goal here isn't to 'take him out', it's to provide a source information to the community.

dak47922 likes this.
  18. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

Curious... Minecraft has seed sharing website, so I see no reason why SB can't have something similar...

MoonyGekko likes this.
  19. MoonyJello

MoonyJello Existential Complex

To stay ahead of the curve.

I can undertand that.

He may not be doing it maliciously, but he still is just using it as a way to promote his stuff in the end of the day.
    Sure he's doing it fairly, but it doesn't even leave a bad taste in his mouth. That's the part that bothers me.

20. Sarbinger

Sarbinger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

While the planets do run on seeds, the seeds are generated by coordinates. Minecraft seeds are a bit different, in that they can be easily recreated and generated instantly. In your Starbound game you might not have those coordinates in your universe.
    Minecraft seeds are also cataloged with data about notable features such as: dungeon with ten diamonds, overhang, etc.

In order to be informative we'd need more than a seed repository. There would have to be data about creatures, locations, and resources on the planet/system.

@MoonyGekko
    Hero isn't the only one that does that. Many other youtube personalities do self promotion and attention-grubbing activities. I dislike them for it.
    But collaborative promotion and working with friends to produce a product takes effort and integrity, I know several people that do this and I'm proud to know them.
    Some people do the grubbing for money, and treat Youtube more as a life-support system than as an alternative way to make some spare bills. This generally makes them the "like, comment, subscribe, share, or you'll be -threat-" kind of person.