RELEASED Introducing JojaMart and Shane: A Custom Cutscene Mod

Discussion in 'Mods' started by IronZelly, Jan 17, 2017.

1. IronZelly

IronZelly Void-Bound Voyager

There's a first time for everything so here's my first ever event mod, finally set up for public opinion and testing.
    Major thanks to alumie711 for helping out with the code, shout out to randomAnon123 and sivolobwho for making their awesome event mods and guides, and to those who inspired me to finish this mod and get it out there. Thanks again! I hope you enjoy. ;)

Introducing JojaMart and Shane: A Custom Cutscene Mod

[​IMG]

If you've always wanted Shane to have a better character introduction to give the player incentive to talk to him outside of just completionist tendencies and establish his relationship with Morris at JojaMart, or to have an extra cutscene in the game that presents the rivalry between Pierre's and JojaMart straight away, then this is the mod for you!

Note: This mod is best experienced with a new play through or a save file where the player hasn't already passed the season of spring in year 1. It's mostly set up this way so that it doesn't create a time paradox with character introductions and narrative purposes. Also there's meta humor.

How To Install:
    1. Backup your Stardew Valley files and saves in case things go wrong.
    2. Download the .zip file included in the attachment and replace the original Town.xnb file under Content/Data/Events in your Stardew Valley folder with the new Town.xnb file.

* If you have a mod that also replaces the Town.xnb file, replacing it with this one will overwrite it.
    * If you intend to use both mods simultaneously, you'll need to first unpack your modded Town.xnb file, open the .yamls with Notepad++, copy the last 2 lines of code from this post's attached Town.yaml file (after you've unpacked the .xnb containing it), and paste them into your modded .yaml file before saving, repackaging it, and dropping that .xnb file into its respected folder.
    * Otherwise, since this mod is mostly for immersion's sake that doesn't effect much and if you intend to simply view the cutscene once (or twice), just keep a backup of your modded .xnb file and switch it back once you're done playing.
    * Unless I am requested enough and will be allowed permission from the mod authors to make a compatible version with their mods, this is as far as help with installation goes, so please keep these points in mind if you plan on testing this out.

Brief Walk-through:
    * Head into town between 8:00 am - 10:00 am on a sunny day to activate the cutscene.

Happy downloading!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    • Jokerine

Jokerine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Woot, finally here! Gonna be testing this tonight. Looking forward to it! :)

• Jokerine

I just played through it! Good stuff. I really liked it and it played flawlessly :)

[​IMG]

A few notes, though - I noticed you misspelled "presence" as "presense" and JojaMart as "Jojamart": And a personal preference is that, when Morris complains about Shane not being at work, you use "!?" but I think "?!" would be best :)

I also was a bit taken aback by the meta-joke but this is your scene :) Good stuff! Thank you again! Something like this was definitively missing from the game :p

• IronZelly

IronZelly Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you for the kind words and critique! Made a quick adjustment to fix the typos and re-uploaded the file. Thank you for pointing those out.
          Also, you're welcome! I'm glad the experience had been amusing for you, even if Shane's absurdly meta comment was a little out of place. I felt it fit in some way if only because Shane already plays video games and to poke fun at how easy it is to side with Pierre's when it's closest to where you live and also provides a better bargain than JojaMart does, but in hindsight the phrasing or delivery of the line could've been more subtle. Oh well (I tried, lol)! :rofl:

Jokerine likes this.
          • Jokerine

No problem! As I said, I really liked it. We always need more cutscenes! And it doesn't hurt when they feature my favorite characters :p I'm not a subtlety master by all means, myself, but all things considered I thought it was awesome. Something like this was sorely needed ingame. Susprised it wasn't included by default...

I had legitimately been waiting for this cutscene before starting up my definitive save, and I'm so glad it was worth it! Hope we get to see more of these from ya. Good luck and keep it up! :)

IronZelly likes this.
            • Alvadea

Alvadea Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh I always like new events. I will try this. :D

• alumie711

alumie711 Aquatic Astronaut

Glad you made it official! Now I can't wait for your next cutscene :)

• springacres

springacres Phantasmal Quasar

Just tried this even though I was already midway through fall of year 1, because reasons and Shane. (It actually fit nicely for me at that point; I'd just seen his 6 heart scene in my current playthrough, so his initial upbeat/happy expression for the scene fit in with his arc.) His meta comment was a little out of place, but it fits with his character and sense of humor (Joja Bluu commercial, anyone?) so I can't quibble too much.

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

I need to give this mod a try once I get home. It sounds interesting.

Is this a 1 time event that introduces the characters and explains the whole story, or is it multiple smaller events that play out across several days?

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

It's a one time event but it's a very good introduction to Shane and Morris!

• Sparrows

Sparrows Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm always game for anything that includes more content with the best bachelor.

springacres and Minakie like this.
                        • Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

I just tried it out. The event played without any issues and I really liked it. ^^