1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting New Screenshot from Tiy

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bonabopn, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion Phantasmal Quasar

Welp, this thread quickly unraveled into sheer anarchy. Anyways. I suppose that I should bring up Tiy's latest tweet stating that this is a screenshot from the official lore and storyline of Starbound. I really can't wait until all the big mysteries from the scraps of lore we've gotten get wrapped up. Let's see... The Beast, Greenfinger and the secret of the Florans, the Argarans, the Glitch hivemind- Just so much mystery waiting to be uncovered!

Casmyr likes this.
  2. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

What if the larger hand turned out to be US! The PLAYERS FROM THE MULTIVERSES.

3. Rudette

Rudette Void-Bound Voyager

My observations:

That eye-face sculpture is missing from our gateway and that might be a way of banning access to the portal---which would be neat lore-wise. Could act like a key! Which would make the outpost even safer from that threat, and fit in with it's Elysium theme. But this also makes the idea of a new playable race far less likely.

To me this points to some sort of creator race that seeded/created the other races on the gate, including the eyeball, and intended for them all to meet up one day and share ideals/create a civilization/something benevolent and/or scientific.
    The Glitch's story tells us that this progenitor race was interested in social experiments, so perhaps the grander purpose was to create a galactic civilization composed of several different species?

But the tentacle race became something of a usurper instead, possibly wiping out it's creator and nearly everything else.

The stone humanoid figures are depicted in very angelic poses, denoting that perhaps they became reluctant guardians and sacrificed themselves to slow the tentacles for the rest of the younger races.

Possible Race Speculation:

So, I'm not really sure there will be an 8th race, since the tentacle creatures aren't really humanoid in appearance. I think their presence on this carving just means they were created by some parent race too.
    But. Who knows?

Starbound characters generally go against the grain of their parent race.
    (USCM seem to have xenophobic tendencies when compared to playable human refugees, Apex are rebels from a larger regime, Avians are excommunicated, Playable Glitch are outcasts who achieved self-awareness, ect.)

If the one-eyed tentacle creatures were playable they would first need a humanoid appearance. How do we rationalize this?

They'd have to be some sort of servitor for the larger tentacle monster we've seen. Or the larger tentacle monster is their servant or some sort of godlike creature they serve willingly or by force. Maybe the creatures higher up on the food chain are some form of dastardly eyeball-headed squidy humanoid?
    Something along these lines.

I think the coolest take would be one that isn't benevolent in nature, but rather, playable tentacle characters that are a "lesser of two evils" option for the player.

Not quite as evil as the primary antagonists, but certainly not goody two-shoes either. They simply have different plans for the universe than their former masters. Their dialogue would constantly hint at nefarious plans for their so-called allies! Which could be quite creepy, and hilarious!

Their ship could be some sort of converted asteroid or comet that has a mix of technology and occult--or tech that is so advanced it just looks occult because of the creepy runes they'd write in.

Like the Novakids, they could craft their own line of weapons. Those psi-magicy-techy staves!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  4. Casmyr

Casmyr Big Damn Hero

I Like Rudettas post ^

My own observations are a similar note.
    We know that there is -some- force that went around and tinkered with things. Uplifted Avians, The Glitch, and made Stargates. We know there were stuff Pre what we play. Also the idea of the Tentacle Biomes turning out to be a who not a what is Neat. Very lovecraftian, plus; space doom~ That being said as much Scifiery Im hooked into over the years, I cant not think about the Flood (from Halo) and the figures at the sides between the tentacles and the other races.

Also if it is from pure lore; maybe the 'starbound' loko on the stone is the marking of the mysterious hand going around tweaking with the 'lesser races' (be it as it were) If perhaps that was something akin to 'a new horizon' post tentacle? But then why have that eye on the race when the 'faces' are that. Faces. The only other Eye-faces we know about are the (kinda ugly now) Eye Demons. In Eye Biomes. So are Eyes and Tentacles clearly linked? or is it something else yet to be revealed?

Or what if penguins?

5. SugarShow

SugarShow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Workshop, multi player?

6. baltosaa

baltosaa Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe the Human figure and the Tentacle-comet-monster-whatever were/are the two original species, and one of them knew their time was up so they had to "pave the way" for all the new species?? :O

(Also eyes....eyes everywhere. ._. )

The Squid, Hatsya Souji and Casmyr like this.
  7. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Maybe the hand is the guy who created the Glitch and made the Avians smart and stuff.[DOUBLEPOST=1424986880][/DOUBLEPOST]
    In case you haven't noticed, the illuminati is EVERYWHERE in Starbound.
    upload_2015-2-26_16-37-0.png
    upload_2015-2-26_16-37-39.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 4.38.50 PM.png

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  8. baltosaa

baltosaa Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh trust me. I've NOTICED.. x.D

But back on topic:...

I have nothing to say then what I already have...

Other then: HYPE. IT IS REAL.. =D

The Squid likes this.
  9. CmereSweetHeart

CmereSweetHeart Subatomic Cosmonaut

If one day there will be a playable tentacle race

Remember to never leave a hyltol with a member of the tentacle race in the same room

especialy if the hylotl in question would happen to go to a school

10. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Could be that they simply form themselves into a humanoid shape (using two tentacles for arms, two for legs) as a way to trick other humanoid races, as a way to connect with their creators, as a way to strike fear into enemies, in order to utilize armors from other races... there could be a lot of things. They might not necessarily work, but it could.

I'm even thinking of a sprite for them now. I won't draw it, as it would look horrible, but I can at least think of one.

11. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion Phantasmal Quasar

[​IMG] NOBODY SUSPECTS A THING

Lavranzo, Lintton, Ryumaru and 3 others like this.
  12. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

So the eight race are the love child of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Shuma-Gorath?

Hm... makes sense.

Casmyr likes this.
  13. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

So it seems eyes are everywhere in Starbound.
    The eye is the chosen symbol to represent the 8th race by the looks of it (it looks like a tentacle eye as has been stated)

We're forgetting about a certain group that is seemingly obsessed with eyes, here.
    What if they're important to the story? Maybe they follow the will of the 8th race? Maybe they are the 8th race?
    Who knows. Just thought I'd mention them if they haven't already been mentioned.

14. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Actually, these guys were removed, and their helmet in the game was changed. Just think that's worth mentioning.

15. Shaadaris

But is their removal permanent?
    If so, that's unfortunate; they were one of the really interesting things to come across. The universe has become so much less interesting since the Giraffe versions started 0n0

16. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

I know the files for them remain, but the microdungeons for them were removed. In fact, a large majority of surface microdungeons were removed.

17. Shaadaris

I noticed >.<
    *Ahem* anyhow, you can all get back on with the topic at hand. If I want to complain about the lack of variety I'll find a thread for that :p

Owl_Stalker likes this.
  18. taikina

taikina Subatomic Cosmonaut

it's the cold eye of the revelation of infinity, staring you dead into your soul as you realize that despite all the achievements of your whole species, you and everything you will ever know are just a meaningless blip in the void.

or i dunno, like ctulu or space-satan or something

Shaadaris likes this.
  19. tehPhunnee

tehPhunnee Title Not Found

Tentacle_Comet!!!.png

Take a look at that image. How awesome would it be? :)
    You have 2 tentacles for walking, 2 tentacles to serve as arms and the remaining 4 tentacles to hold 4 vanity items.
    So instead of wearing vanity items, your mini tentacle monster would walk around holding onto them like some intergalactic hoarder! :laugh:

I hate to double post in the same thread, but the remote possibility CF would add a mini tentacle monster encased in a meteorite fills my heart with a warm, fuzzy sensation.

Please CF I beg you, make the 8th race a playable mini tentacle monster :D

Hatsya Souji and Shaadaris like this.
  20. Airling

Airling Void-Bound Voyager

The whole statue/gate feels like it's in a cave. And the six slots on the logo have me hoping we'll find Materia-like balls in chests in dungeons to open the gate. Which would probably lead one to your doom. Or an end similar to Mass Effect 3:unsure:.

Hatsya Souji likes this.