1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Inter-Level Shop

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Seria-Myouna, May 7, 2013.

1. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

My friend Crystan was citing shop mechanics in other games and I was thinking you could have a score modifier(Probably -X%) that allows you to purchase items between levels with what money you have left over instead of giving bonus EXP.

Or perhaps between the levels you have to option to choose a bonus chest containing a random powerup or item.

MisterS42 and plasmaman2 like this.
    • DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In older alphas you saved money through levels but I can understand why they removed it: balance breaking thing when you just don't spend as much time discover level than you should. I like how it goes now, no indulgences!

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

I think the bonus chest is a nice idea. Maybe if you do better, or spend some more time on the one stage, you get more or better chests?

• Beardtastic

Beardtastic Master Chief

Considering the meta-game involved, I don't think a shop is really applicable. I did prefer the .29 Alpha way of just rolling funds over, and I don't particularly care for the Demo's Money->EXP mechanic, but the isolation and flow of the game doesn't suggest an easy shop-mechanic.

Personally, I think the rollover-funds is the best way about it, considering prices of chests go up over time and the risk of seeking them out becomes deadly. Perhaps merely less cash drops as time goes on, in favor of more experience?

• Seria-Myouna

Probably not a bad idea. The EXP gain from having enormous amounts of money is very underwhelming. I would like instead for it to give you another random passive item for every X coins you've acquired and perhaps this value would scale based on time instead of on the level.

Thus, if you've only spend 5 minutes on the first level, it gives you a random passive item for every 100 coins you have, but if you spent 10 minutes it might be every 200 or 250 coins.

Draken09 likes this.
            • Beardtastic

Beardtastic Master Chief

The way I see it, it would have to be restricted to either just first tier items or have a very very low chance of getting anything from tier 2+. (Imagine having 200 coins by not buying anything, finishing in 2 minutes by rushing the first level (we'll say the mark there is 75), and getting 2 Cursed Rings or Brilliant Behemoths. Unlikely, but definitely OP). I suppose the trade-off is getting items during the actual levels, but I just think something like that would just load you up with tons of Barbed Wire and Mysterious Vials (not to say they aren't useful, but, well, they're nothing to sneeze at).

Plus, I don't see how they'd be awarded properly without breaking the flow of the game. There'd have to be a screen or a momentary lapse that shows money calculations and items awarded, and with the teleport mechanics as they are, that seems really intrusive to gameplay.

• Seria-Myouna

Having personally saved up over 3000 coins on one level early on, I can tell you its already disruptive to wait for 10+ seconds while the coins are slowly turned into EXP.

It would be simple, just drain the coins fast and have the powerups flash on screen for a second before they are absorbed by the player. Perhaps you could impose a hard limit of 3 tele-gifts per level and determine the tier of the item(s) by the cash used up to obtain them.

• Beardtastic

Beardtastic Master Chief

Being a major level-grinder myself, I totally know what you mean. At the same time, I feel that automatically getting items doesn't make much sense meta-game-wise, and the items would have to be well-balanced for it to work out properly.

In all seriousness, the whole matter of Money->EXP is the only reason I prefer .29 to the Demo, even if there isn't music. I really want that feature back. :\

• Seria-Myouna

I think perhaps that you should be able to disable to extra EXP gain as a game modifier like they talked about on the kickstarter. I'm not sure whether it would increase or decrease your score, but I think it would be nice.

• Draken09

Draken09 Black Hole Surfer

Since the problem seems to be getting too many items, what if it worked with a RNG (Random Number Generator), where there's merely a chance of getting a Tier 1 item per X coins (again, probably based on time and zone #).

• Shrooblord

Hm. I must still be playing the Alpha, then, because I don't recall hearing any music in my game. I just keep the money from one stage to a next, too.

I think you could just have the items drop at your feet as you enter the next stage. You could have the money drain as you already move about in the level, to indicate to the player what the exchange was exactly.

• Nixeras

Nixeras Subatomic Cosmonaut

Honestly I'd rather keep money going from level to level instead of it turning to xp, or if it MUST be turned to xp instead of being useful perhaps turn it into MORE xp than it is. As it is by the time I finish the first level the money I've gathered usually does little more than add a sliver of xp to the bar. Perhaps every coin could instead be a certain percentage of your xp bar instead of a flat amount of xp.

As much as I'd like to see a shop or something I really couldn't see it making sense for the game unless we get a home base instead of a crashed ship.

• Restarter000

Restarter000 Intergalactic Tourist

I think what would be interesting is if it gave you random lower tier upgrades until you maxed out on them then moved up to better upgrades.

This way you wouldn't be running around looking for that silly Toxic Worm forever!

I mean for a shop, kinda like the 3 shop, but no random ones, as in it shows what your getting, and maybe drones can be included as well, so you can truly start the next level stronger than the previous one.

• Shrooblord

WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Running around looking for a Toxic Worm? I had five of them in one run! I could Infect three enemies at a time. It stacks in a very interesting way: the first two first give you the Toxic Worm and then buff its damage. The next one gives you a second one, the fourth buffs the second's damage, etc.

• Nixeras

Nixeras Subatomic Cosmonaut

Again though, you're crashed on this planet. There aren't any shops around. The only reason you find these items is supplies from your vessel you were riding on. Why you have to buy them? Maybe you're required to pay fees for breaking into someone elses supplies, even if it IS an emergency.

• Restarter000

Restarter000 Intergalactic Tourist

I know I know, sometimes you keep getting same upgrades. Or maybe have possible higher tier upgrades when finishing lower levels so it's possibly rewarding to save up at the end, if not then you still get xp which is very useful.

• vexxed

vexxed Space Penguin Leader

Im eating an ice cream so I won't go too in-depth but perhaps items could be awarded based on the time spent on the level (Every X minutes your qualify for 1 item which the tier could scale with the stage/level number) coupled with number of enemies killed which could be a mandatory requirement for items past the first ( E.G: 5 mins first item; 7 mins 150 kills). Obviously exact values would need to be decided, but there is my suggestion :p

• Rawrquaza

Rawrquaza Existential Complex

Just my opinion, but I dislike the idea of money carryover and any sort of in-between level shops or item rewards. The only change i would make would be to convert the money to exp faster, and perhaps a bit more exp awarded.

Engio likes this.
                                      • Shrooblord

Are you playing the Demo? The Money->Xp speed is pretty fast in the Beta. The amount of Xp gained, though, is still not very accurate, in my opinion.

• Engio

Engio Space Penguin Leader

I also wish money -> EXP went faster but otherwise I am happy with it.

The way I see it is a kind of a waste to have that extra cash but what it means is that we didn't clear the level efficiently and quickly. We ended up wasting too much time shooting things (Now once we hit unstoppable demi-god mode at stages 4+ it is a lot harder to argue that considering the masses of enemies and sheer time it takes to mow all the spawns down after you've set off the teleporter timer). There is still a minor return on money as levels which is nice but reinforces the time aspect of the game which at least I end up forgetting exists after a while on normal.

Rawrquaza likes this.