1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Infrequent severe memory leak

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Geodeek, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Geodeek

Geodeek Pangalactic Porcupine

Fairly infrequently, the starbound_server process will experience a sudden and severe memory explosive decompression leak. When this happens, the process will instantly eat up all free RAM and swap. This sudden exhaustion also leads severe HDD thrashing and very high CPU usage. The server appears to remain in this state until killed with a SIGKILL.
    Although the issue does not happen consistently and I cannot reproduce it, log messages seem to suggest an issue with generating large dungeons and/or finding a suitable starter planet.

Frequency: about once a day or 1 in every 100 new logins.
    Symptoms:
    • All available RAM becoming used nearly instantly. (10GB+ observed)
    • All available swap becoming used nearly instantly. (32GB observed)
    • HDD thrashing caused by massive swap load. (~100x normal reads/writes per second)
    • I/O wait comprising over 80% of kernel usage. (~2% normal.)
    • Extremely high CPU usage. (Loads ~2-3 normal, loads up to 12 observed during leak.)

These issues were observed with the following setup:
    • An Ubuntu Xenial LXC 2.0 container (amd64, 16.04.1 LTS)
    • A modded starbound_server instance. (1.0.3 and 1.0.4)
    • A dedicated server host.
      • I7-2600 CPU.
      • 16GB DDR3.
      • 1TB SATA HDD.
    Trimmed log files have been attached.

Due to the fact that this server is modded, I'm very curious to know if others have encountered this issue as well. If you're an operator with a player load high enough to potentially encounter this, please let me know if you have or have not experienced this issue. I'd love to hear your experiences and, with any luck, narrow down the cause of all this.

Attached Files: