Indicate Whether Item was 3D-scanned already?

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by Vospier, May 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Vospier

Vospier Void-Bound Voyager

Hi folks

Just a tiny suggestion - I'm quite a hoarder when it comes to 3D-printable items and I usually raid every new area for items to 3D-scan so I can re-create them whenever I need.

Currently there's no way for us to know if an item is already in the library of items we've scanned. In the end I sometimes had to take more stuff than I need from the environment because I just wanted to be sure I don't miss the chance to add it to library.

Maybe a new function can be added that highlights the items you don't have in your 3D-library when you turn it on, like a lens/overlay.

Also - for the sake of consistency, can the paintings be scannable as well?

2. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm not 100% sure on this so it would be nice if someone can confirmed or correct me if I am wrong but I believe with 1.0 you can 3D print any item you had examined and one of the main reasons for this was because the devs didn't want you to mine up a whole town just to be able to make one yourself.

Ludovic likes this.
  3. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Actually I thought that the 3D printer was gone from the game in 1.0?

Unless it has now been repurposed into a late-game unlockable.... which would make sense given it's function, especially if "scanning" an item is now enough to unlock it for the 3D Printer(that would be very nice).

Also, the addition of NPC merchant has already gone a long way toward purchasing "faction-specific furniture" without having to pillage whole towns for such.
    Now if there was only a way to make those blocks used by Avians to build their towns myself, I would be one happy bird :p

4. shimonu

shimonu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Its unlocked later.

5. Valkyrie_pl

Valkyrie_pl Big Damn Hero

Scanning items allows to later print them. Not all of them mind you, some have to be crafted after you learn a blueprint. Items highlited blue are not yet scanned, red-ish are scanned, green are mission-specific. 3D printer is an endgame workbench.

Also, scanner's flashlight is actually better than the regular one.