1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Incredibly bad framerate, can't play game

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Mbrabant, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Mbrabant

Mbrabant Space Hobo

So, I've just bought the game, but I just can't play it.
    My framerate is so low, I can't even walk on the tutorial. It's a torture, and I have no idea why the game isn't working properly.

I play on a notebook, since my desktop broke 2 years ago.
    and if your thoughts are to tell me to buy parts, well, you are free to buy them and send it to me. Brazilian taxes are as high as never and I'm not planning on paying triple price for pc parts.

The thing is, I can play League of Legends, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, Age of Empires 2 and 3, and even Stardew Valley, that has a close requirement, without any problem, with better fps than I see my friends playing with.
    When I start the game, it gives me error messages on VC Redist Pack installation, and I can't seem to find how to fix that, so this might be the actual problem on the bad framerate.

Here you have a image on the requirements with the Stardew Valley requirements by the side, and the dedicated video card is the only problem, the rest can work on the recommended easily

[​IMG]

Here a complete capture of the Recommended tab

[​IMG]

I really appreciated the game and would love to have the chance to play it.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Forcedminer

Forcedminer Pangalactic Porcupine

Mbrabant likes this.
  3. ADaks

ADaks 2.7182818284590...

I really hope the devs look into this next. I don't care about dirt color or typos. I just want my sister to be able to play at all!

Mbrabant likes this.
  4. Marcus101RR

Marcus101RR Void-Bound Voyager

Able to run Game doesn't mean able to run game at perfect performance ranks. This is why we have Minimum/Recommended Specs. They only tell you what you need to avoid exactly what you are experiencing, fps drops, or performance issues. Games don't always use the full resources until the game calls for it. So the more activity is going on, the more power you need, hence minimum requirements.

You are trying to play a game that implicitly tells you it need 256 MB, mind you, ignore it and you only have 64 MB. Yeah, you are experiencing these problems because of this! You may be able to run other games just fine, but you are forgetting that these other games have advanced graphic settings which allow you to change how detailed the game is and how much is actually shown. League of Legends is perfect example of this. Also, the lower your resolution is, the better the game will run too. So if you run a game at 320x200, vs 800x600, you are gonna see the performance hit...

I can say only this, you neglected your knowledge of your system specs and expected this game to run in your favor. It won't, upgrade, or buy a new pc that has the recommended specs.

Mbrabant likes this.
  5. Squiddo Kiddo

Squiddo Kiddo Orbital Explorer

I've been looking into this for a while now and it seems like anyone with Intel HD Graphics Family as their graphics driver can't play the game without incredibly low FPS. I've sent emails to Chucklefish about this issue, it only seems that we will have to wait for a reply.

To anyone with this issue:
    1. Open control panel
    2. Under "Appearance and Personalization" go to "Adjust screen resolution"
    3. Click "Advanced settings"
    4. Post a screenshot of your "adapter" tab
    That is if you have Windows 7, if you have anything else just follow this.

Mbrabant likes this.
  6. Mbrabant

Mbrabant Space Hobo

Well, as you can see, it's actually a dedicated video card that is stated on the image, not the overall. One of the games I play has actually a lot more necessity of a dedicated video card, but has NO issues at all in any gameplay feature. I uploaded an image of how the graphics look on it, and you can check the specifics if you want, but the fact is that, my notebook is able to run a game that need much more processing than Starbound would ever need, even on the max graphs, but instead, I cannot play it with minimum resolution, maximum zoom, and I've already tried everthing on this forum to fix the issue while I waited an aswer, even one from 2013 that consisted on deleting compability flags on steam files under :C.

[​IMG]

Glad for your answer, but, again, as proved, this is not the problem of the game having an amazing 5fps on my computer.
    ----------------

Here is mine. Hope it helps clarify the issue.

[​IMG]

7. Squiddo Kiddo

That's EXACTLY what I needed, thank you.

So it does indeed seem like people using Intel HD Graphics Family as their graphics driver can not play Starbound 1.0. I'll be trying to get the specs of MORE people who have this issue just to make sure.

8. Marcus101RR

Marcus101RR Void-Bound Voyager

As soon as you provide the resolution, and gfx settings you use on that this demanding game, and how much activity is on screen then you can argue your case more. But, I wouldn't expect the devs here to help or even consider your request, because you did not provide enough information anyway.

9. Spearra

Spearra Poptop Tamer

Same story for me. Worked wonders pre-1.0, then the release finally happened.

[​IMG]

Here's mine. Ever since the release I've been looking for a connection. Seems like we found one.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Mbrabant likes this.
  10. Squiddo Kiddo

I'm not really the one with the problem here, in fact my game runs perfectly on a decently bad computer on 1920x1080 using a GTX 660. I'm just trying to find a fix for a friend of mine that can't play anymore after 1.0, who has a perfectly good computer and of course, Intel HD Graphics as their graphics driver. After all the looking done since Starbound 1.0 was released I think we can safely assume that this is indeed the problem. Although I would not hurt at all to try and look through this more. So no, I'm not just jumping to conclusions instantly.

EDIT: And yes, you do have a point about them not considering my request instantly. It's definitely not just a simple task to try and fix an issue like this. I think if we brought a bit more attention to the issue maybe we could get someone at Chucklefish, or at least in contact with Chucklefish, looking at it.

Mbrabant likes this.
  11. docvalentine

docvalentine Space Hobo

I just wanted to pipe up and say, my wife's computer is an Acer 5745 with Intel graphics and she has been experiencing the same kinds of issues since 1.0 dropped.

It's been perfectly capable for earlier versions and we're really disappointed to no longer be able to play together.

Mbrabant likes this.
  12. Squiddo Kiddo

And Intel graphics strikes yet again.

Mbrabant likes this.