1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

In-game Trading Aspect

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DarkDXZ, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkDXZ

DarkDXZ Phantasmal Quasar

Since each and every "usable" item in the game will have at least over nine thousands possible variations, same for monsters, I imagine the shops of all kinds within the community to offer something different, something better, something...cheaper? NAH!

How do you imagine that, with procedurally generated content?
    Specialized "department" shops, with rocket launchers, plasma shotguns and fishaxes?

Or maybe giant Market(h)s, with pretty cool stuff at (un)reasonable prices?

OR auctions, where you could fight to death over that exceedingly rare and well-known Royal Poptop, for prices exceeding 9000 pixels?

DISCUSS!

2. MythicalBrit

MythicalBrit Void-Bound Voyager

I like the idea of Battle Auctions
    FIGHT FOR YOUR PRIZE

3. Hostail

Hostail Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah I would also like the Battle auctions, like fighting in a Colosseum for marvelous prizes and such!
    But of course it would be great to have normal shops and such, maybe they could change their stock every day and so? Maybe not the stock but atleast the shape of the weapons and such, and maybe after you buy one it gets replaced with another type.

I can imagine someone spending lots of pixels for a weapon that looks a bit lame for the moment, and when he buys it, it gets replaced with a badass looking one.... Yeah that could be neat.

4. DarkDXZ

It's their choice for politics of their shop, is it?

And wait, I didn't mean literal "fight to death" auctions!
    I meant more of those nowadays auctions, you know...

But meh, there are many ways to sell your product, whether by civilized or more fierce means.

5. LadyAijou

LadyAijou Phantasmal Quasar

I'm sure they'll figure something out, but whatever they choose, I know we will have a great deal of flexibility in terms of buying/selling/trading. In Borderlands, where the weapons were also procedurally generated, it was handled via shops where the inventory was changed out every 15 minutes. You never knew what would be available when. I would love to see a similar concept here, as well as an auction house/marketplace. All depends on how they handle servers though, because you can't have an "open market" without people having to log onto the game on a central server such as in MMO's. As far as I know, that isn't the plan.

6. Vargus

Vargus Big Damn Hero

In my experience with procedurally generated content, such as weapons and other various equipment... Looting them has always been better than purchasing them from npc shops. The quality and stats always seem much more "worth the trouble" if you know what I mean. Like lets say you see a cool sword in the shop, you think "Hey this thing is aschmazing" so you spend your hard earned pixels on it. WELLL after a little exploration you loot a sweet sword that has better stats, AND it looks cooler than the one you just bought. *Queue dissapoint*, right?
    Granted they may choose to be totally different, and encourage spending pixels on equipment by having the quality be much better than looted items.

Anyways, there's my 2ยข. :)

7. DarkDXZ

Note: We're talking player<->player trade, not player<->NPC.
    Juust to make things clear.

8. Vargus

Vargus Big Damn Hero

True. I just figured talking about the opposite side could encourage more discussion :)

9. JohnDevince

JohnDevince Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This would be very cool indeed! Maybe this should go into suggestions, but who am I to say, The idea of this is unremarkable and amazing!
    ~ John

10. StarMetal25

StarMetal25 Phantasmal Quasar

"Here you can have my minigun that fires razor blades if I can have your godly uzis. Deal?"
    Then he drops the godly uzis and I give him my minigun that fires razor blades :p

11. Jenkinz

Jenkinz Phantasmal Quasar

There needs to be some form of trading in this game, simply dropping items to trade is ridiculously dangerous xD

Hakjabtholah likes this.
  12. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Sounds pretty cool. Better start saving up money! :D

13. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

Reminds of the "good old days" where trading in most games means both players having to drop the item on the ground, hoping that the other player doesnt just grab your item and leave the game.

14. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

I imagine shops will have randomly generated weapons, items, healing equipment, armor and much more that pertains to the planet, like I'd doubt you'd find a rocket launcher being sold by some tribal merchant and such like that, whereas a robotic empire might sell laser based weapons and tools.

15. TheSilentObserver

TheSilentObserver Big Damn Hero

CoreTech Industries LTD will be selling its goods the good old fashioned way of the future: E-Bay!

No really, though... I'm curious to see if they'll go and design a nice, safe, easy-to-use trading mechanic for Player-to-Player business transactions. I'd very much like it if they did.

16. BloodyRain2k

BloodyRain2k Pangalactic Porcupine

It can also be hell, imagine you see your ultimate weapon sitting in the shop but you lack the money to buy it and you know you may never see it again...
    I mean how often did you actually find the same weapon twice in borderlands? I mean really, I can't remember o _ o

17. rosett

rosett Scruffy Nerf-Herder

well maybe how good the items you get are based on luck sort of? so say, you keep getting good helmets, but you've put on the best one and instead you'd like to have better guns

and there's this guy who keeps getting guns...

sure you can look for another one yourself but it'll be faster (and more interesting, say, the item has rare properties) to trade

i hope there aren't one of those 'soulbound' items though (also, on bigger servers, this would mean that there's an economy, wooo)

@TheSilentObserver: the safest ones are the MMORPG standard, the one with confirming before going through with the deal
    it'd be nice to have a direct 'give' option though, which only need confirmation from the giver because it's voluntary (and safer than dropping items on the ground)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.