In-Game Professions? (types of farmers)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by LilyGVenema, Jul 27, 2016.

?

What would you choose/end up with?

1. Berry farmer

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Botany

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Classic/all around

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  4. Tall crop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ground crops

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. LilyGVenema

LilyGVenema Void-Bound Voyager

IRL, I am a youth botanist (lol I freaking love plants and love to study them) But I wish that you could choose what kind of farmer you would like to be pretty much over time you plant certain things and then you get ranks or something (EX: Planting average plants such as a Palm, Cactus and possibly carnivorous?) and then you would get more money for those things... Another one would be berry farmer (Blueberries and strawberries) Some other ones would be cool like just sticking to dairy... But I just feel like a modder should try this out!

Note: I know it is REALLY difficult to mod and if anyone asks "Why don't you do it?" I really can't, I have tried many times... I only know html... I could do a portrait mod though! (I do art as a hobby) But seriously, If this was a project on how to genetically modify a plant IRL, I would be all in... Sadly, I just have never had the knack for programming like a lot of people I know...

Thanks for reading! :oops:

StardropPJ likes this.
    • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I'm not sure which category this would fall under in your voting options up there but I think, given what the game contains right now, I'd happily specialize in flowers, or maybe fruit trees. I love plants as well, though I don't have any sort of specialized education or training with them so I won't know all the terminology. >u>

LilyGVenema and MrToni300 like this.
      • CjBeats

CjBeats Weight of the Sky

I'd probably be a ground crops farmer. I like potatoes and pumpkins and and all that. I could do without flowers and tall crops such as hops and corn, but berries might be nice. Overall though i'd be a ground crops dude.

• StardewPally

StardewPally Big Damn Hero

I'd be a classic/all around farmer. I like ground crops like potatoes, parsnips and cauliflower in the spring, tall crops like blueberries, tomatoes and hot peppers in the summer and pumpkins and cranberries in fall. A mix of tall and short crops, berries, leafy greens, tubers, fruit trees and I never plant the same crops two years in a row (I don't care how much melons and pumpkins sells for, sometimes I just want to grow parsnips, beats and bok choy).

Even my greenhouse isn't all ancient fruit. I've got four rows: One row of strawberries, one row of blueberries, one row of cranberries and one row of ancient fruit. I like the variety and the colour, even if it doesn't make nearly as much money. I've got millions of dollars, I can afford to be relaxed about what I grow.

Minakie and LuthienNightwolf like this.
          • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Can I be a Gold Farmer for an MMO? ;p

LilyGVenema likes this.
            • 1wolffan

1wolffan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I use the green house to grow some of my favorite pickled items (garlic), wines (ancient fruit and peppers - except I call the hot pepper wine "hot sauce" for RP purposes LOL), corn (for oil), and the rest is for favored items by my villager friends (both fresh, and recipe ingredients). I don't know what that all would count for, so I just chose general, up-top.

LilyGVenema likes this.
              • StardewPally

StardewPally Big Damn Hero

Same, as well as calling 'pickled tomatos' salsa/orange jelly marmalade etc.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Yeah, I say I'm making Kimchi, Apple Butter, Cider, and Pumpkin Butter, rather than the game's 'pickled cabbage', 'apple jelly', 'apple wine', 'pickled pumpkin', and so forth. Sometimes the inflexibility of the product names makes me grumble.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I wonder if there's a way to go into the coding and just change the names. You'd think it would be simple what with all the amazing things modders do in this game, it might be possible. :eek:

MrToni300 likes this.
                    • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I'm not sure it's that simple. A while ago I put in a modding request for 'apple cider' over 'apple wine', but the only reply I got seemed to imply it was a lot harder than just changing a string. I think when CA programmed the game he tied the names to how products are processed/sold, and if so, it's not enough to just change a name, you'd have to show the program where to look for the new product name and so forth. Certainly do-able but perhaps time consuming.

• 1wolffan

1wolffan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The base names are one thing, but it's not too hard to set up coding 'aliases', which are still, to all intents and purposes, the exact thing the code expects it to be. They just have an alias pointing to them when a match comes up. It's not just one line of code or anything quite THAT easy, but setting up arrays for the amount of things that can be pickled/jammed/etc shouldn't be too stupidly hard.
                        I'm not a full-on coder, otherwise I'd find a way to mod it. But I do remember enough from programming classes to remember some of these things.

Oh man, I wish you guys had posted some of these food names back when I posted my Missed Opportunities With Food thread. Those would have all been good input for it. LOL

• Allenb60

Allenb60 Orbital Explorer

Growing palm trees would be awesome! The first time I went to the desert I was wishing I could grow palm trees or cacti, Sandy even mentions to the player they won't have much luck farming here unless they are a cactus farmer, so it could be possible there are desert farmers. Also I thought the green house would be a lot smaller but was very surprised to find the 12x10 plot, but it would be cool to have some potted plants for the greenhouse only similar to real life.
                          I know this is a it off topic but farming isn't just limited to plants, or bees and barn animals, fish and mollusks are farmed too. To be honest fishing seems like the weakest skill and the least trained for most people, so maybe aquaculture could be a possible part of it, using features similar to the worm bin and/or slime hutch to give caught fish a use besides selling them.

• LilyGVenema

LilyGVenema Void-Bound Voyager

OH GOD SO MUCH ATTENTION :rofl: thanks guys

MrToni300 likes this.