1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

In a few years, should starbound get a sequel/a remake?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Brick-tac, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Ickura

Ickura Big Damn Hero

I don't think the game is getting any sequel or a remake. It will most likely die out to be brutally honest.

2. AquaCraft808

AquaCraft808 Void-Bound Voyager

I just thought of this. Telltale collaborated with Mojang to make Minecraft: Story Mode, and Minecraft was originally a sandbox game similar to Starbound, only that Starbound is 2D and Minecraft is 3D. Maybe Chucklefish should talk with Telltale and perhaps a story-based choice making spinoff of Starbound could be made . The only problems I see are voice acting for specific species and the shift from building and exploration to making a choice in specific scenarios. I could see, however, that each species can have their own stories. Examples include: Humans - escaping Earth just as it is destroyed, Apex - escaping from your holding cell to freedom, etc.

The only other way Starbound can be remastered is if they keep the concept they built the game with, but redo it in 3D and implement stuff like voice acting, real gunfights with reloading and ammo count, etc.

Starbound is a fantastic game with lots of lore and fun, it can go both ways I said above. All we gotta do is wait and see what happens.

3. Greenfinger

Greenfinger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Throwing away a badly made "finished" product and starting anew? No thanks, I'd rather see them actually giving a crap about the normal Starbound and rewriting the countless wrongs they've committed with it.

Ickura likes this.
  4. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

maybe a cross-over won't be a bad idea...? (imagine playing a stardew valley arcade in starb xD)

5. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Uh, no. A couple years is when I'm expecting the next update, or maybe some optimizations. That, or sometime between then and the release of HL3.

6. Catherine Franz

Of course...I forgot how bad my fps was...Optimization must be first.. (maybe i got used to the map suddenly having invi walls)

STCW262 likes this.
  7. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Really? A sequel or remake for Starbound? I don't think so this is a wise choice for them. They really really need to optimize the game and make it stable first.

Ickura and STCW262 like this.
  8. Indigaido

Indigaido Void-Bound Voyager

I agree. I don't see any reason for a sequel, the game is already really good and ever-expanding. I'd be glad if they just focused on fixes and adding new content.

9. Space_explorer

Space_explorer Phantasmal Quasar

to be honest if starbound ever get a remake should be 3d in third person because as now starbound is,,. feels kinda limited. not gonna lie when i saw No Man Sky i though it feel more space exploration than starbound (that before to see the gameplays and stuff i dont know how is now but i hear lastest update made it pretty nice) but what made me feel that its because well with a 3d space exploration is way more larger.

from here is my personal opinion the way i see the game, since i play starbound (from the beta release i dont remember which koala was just was the one where you have to build summons to fight tier bosses and progress) i saw and understood that starbound never ws intented to be so action heavy package like terraria, i found it more to be like minecraft, building, exploring a bit, doing some farming stuff like crops or animals, the occasional fight etc. even the music made me feel in the same way.

the thing with starbound is planets dont have anything special, i mean yeah sure they have specific buildings like temples castles etc. and biomes. but for example when i visit for first time toxic planets i was like "oh wow i wonder how would be the depths i would find it different? maybe mutants a camp or refugees mutants maybe a post fall out scene?" only to find that is nothing ordinary just the same depth as any other planet (of course getting past the toxic lake which also it exploration factor gets quickly depleted once you get all the toxic chests treasures) its seems planets were made just to explore on surface leaving behind the in depth planet exploration out, i mean you can even get ores with a good pixel farm setup without worry to ever mine, even jumping planet from planet checking lockers you can find ores leaving little reason to explore depths. (yeah i know there special scenarios more treasure chets challenge portals but...) i dont going to get in depth on this because would take to much.

for me not gonna say starbound is perfect like is now, is ok but i would like to say "if they give it a more effort starbound would be on the right road"

things that i would like to see in starbound:

about beaming on a planet

they can expand a planet exploration if before to beam in a planet you get a "planet Axis" where it explains what you can find like for example; North side of planet is peaceful lot of vegetable resources little threats, South side of the planet hostiles found there, seems they are cultits, bandit, raiders whatever random thing generated, likely building camp base etc. name it. East side of the planet a town, a city whatever thing of whatever race you name it, where you can resuppply and get hints clues information about interesting location like you find a city you get into a bar and you find rumours about a planet where giant beasts live pretty dangerous but with priceless rewards, west side of the planet could be like right now is the game when you beam on the planet.

i feel with that would make your exploration of a planet longer because you can find many stuff also this add many many aspects to the game. if let say someone want to land in a south side because they want to fight bandits then when a player beam on the south side the game would generate a big chunk portion of map with undergrounds labs base whatever that will take a big time to explore and fight enemies making players who want a action side of the game satisfy their need because that side is only focused on fighting enemies. for those who want just to play the game like is now they just can land on the west side and go like if nothing have been added. maybe those who like role play can go to the north to talk and interact with the npc to get information about interesting stuff.

and all if they just add an axis to a planet where once you travel to a planet before to land the navigator as now load a big picture of the planed letting you choose in which axis you want to beam and explaning like it do now what you can find on each axis and once you beam there it generated the level as starbound do now.

planets need events

this also would help with the game if planets get events randomly generated it dont need to be generated as soon you open the game just when you load such planet. i read somewhere in the forums dunno if was here or in steam forums where someone asked if while you do your bussines in planet X there stuff happening in Y planet while you are not there? and the answer was a sad no which dissapointed the player, and to be honest wouldnt be a bad thing if after i build a city on a lush planet and leave after certain hour i get a signal from such city i built asking me for help because some invaders from whatever race you name took the city and everyone are hostages from them. it just an example but the events could help to add a lot of possibilities to keep players interested on the planets they have visited even reason to build now in such planets.

also planets need to be more interesting, when i visited a dark planet you know what i imagine what i can find? some sort of enemy like Aliens with ther nest and queen things like that are needed to make planet to be more interesting and surprise to explore because you dont know what threat or stuff can find there

(also higher but higher % of RNG to find something interesting nothing like 0.1% chance to generate something unique

Factions could make things interesting

i really liked how some races hate each others and how like others. is a good idea but prolly a lot people would hate that being "avian" would be victims of "florans" once they land the planet or theyr "human" land on "glitch town" giving them a bad time. but honestly races likes and dislike towards others could have worked. as starbound is now maybe "races agaisnt races" woulnt work but adding the cheesy "white" "gray" "black" sides can work. i mean there could be just 3 factions, the protectorate you know the good guys always tracking bandits and whatever want harm the peace of the unvierse, you who when start the game of course you are a protectorate but after looking how the protectorated got destroyed you though you are on your own so in that moment you are "neutral" and then the bandits who whant to created chaos in universe.

and this can work simple with bar system which work as score i mean if any of you played GTA 2 you can remember the second game have a bar point system where if you kill two or more gang members you will earn points for the rival gang and the gang you killed members will earn minus points so if you managed to earn the lowest point of the enemy gang by max the rival gang points will make you earn the more profitable missions for the rival gang while enemy gang would be more and more agresive toward you.

this can be applied to starbound by having just the protectorated faction, the neutral side and the cultist/bandit side. i mean, if you go to a planet find a cultist base or by traveling between stars find a cultist ship and destroy them you will earn point for protectorate and negative point for cultist by doing so everytime you keep doing this, if you maxed protectorate points cultists will consider you a high priority target and will try to hunt you and kill you with being more and more aggresives even using mech to just kill you, but since you also helped protectorated they will give you support and fight them, will do the same thing if you earn points for cultists just the difference the protectorate would try to arrest you and if they do... you will transfered to prison where if you stay let say 5 minutes in your jail without way to beam up to your ship or having your equipment, but once 5 minute have pass your are released and your points are reset to neutral but if you try to escape you will keep your points.

things like that and even more ideas would spice up starbound without need to do a remake or sequel and is what starbound need to feel more lively and interesting to explore to feel that vibe of space exploring. because as the game feel it look like its barely the start of space exploration and protectorate (earth) was the only place with advance technology

STCW262 likes this.
  10. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Oh god, it took to me a while to read all of that. I kinda agree with your thought about planet event. They really need to add some random unpredictable event, and not only in a planet, but the space as well. Some bandits and cultists that board our ship for instance. It sounds fun.

11. Catherine Franz

Now we just have to wait for The Ancient Space : Starbound...

12. Jenpants

Jenpants Void-Bound Voyager

Id like to see it on PS4 first since it was supposed to be and never happened.