Improved enemy death animations

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by andySp, Aug 18, 2013.

1. andySp

andySp Sandwich Man

Ok so I don't know how far up in progress the enemy death animations are or if they are even gonna improve it further, but hear me out.

At the moment I don't really like the way enemies puff into smoke when they die. It doesn't feel satisfying at all in my opinion. I know death animations for every enemy is out of the question, but it would be cool if instead of the smoke death, they just create some universal gib sprites that would match the colour scheme of each monster, and when you kill it the gibs would just fly around along with some simple blood physics.

I don't know how difficult that would be to implement but I definitely think some more work should go into the death animations since it's such a huge part of the game.

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

This has been suggested many, many times before. And I doubt that there will be too much in the way of blood and gore to fulfill your macabre desires without an option to toggle or reduce it.

BrutorDragon likes this.
  4. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Im not sure either. If anything I prefer how they exploded in a fit of bleeding gibs in Terraria.

The smoke thing to me personally feels, arcadey, I guess. Seems to fit with Starbound style.

Its alright, but I do agree with you that I hope they switch to gibs.

5. Dtho_47

Dtho_47 Star Wrangler

Game for adults and children.

BrutorDragon and Jonesy like this.
  6. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

...pfft~

7. Jonesy

Nobody who makes these suggestions seem to realize that. All they want is to add more gore, which only a small minority of people will even appreciate. Given the target audience for Starbound there will either be a limited amount, or the option to change the level.

8. Dtho_47

Dtho_47 Star Wrangler

In very old stream was blood;)

9. Jonesy

Like I said; limited amount, or an option to change it.

10. creepwolf

creepwolf Giant Laser Beams

I was thinking how they had the body parts fly out before, maybe instead just make them fall in a pile before fading away?

11. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

I think that they should change death animations too, just puff looks so silly. So yes, It's for adults and children, but at least there must be an option for blood and gore.

12. I would like the option for gore.
    Blood particles, body parts falling on the ground etc.
    :(

Argthrond likes this.