Tool ImageToFrames: An App for creating frames files

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Altairre, May 26, 2021.

1. Altairre

Altairre Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]

Preface:

Image to Frames is an application that provides a user interface for creating .frames files. I created it because I got tired of constantly copy-pasting and filling out my template file. Especially knowing it contained almost exclusively information that could be easily generated programmatically. It was also just really fun to start learning the WPF framework. The application only supports the windows operating system.

What can it do:
    The application provides a straightforward interface for editing and saving frames files. Alongside some functions for automatically filling out information. Once provided with a sprite the application can automatically set the size fields to the image’s dimensions. If it’s a sprite sheet you can set the rows and columns of the sheet and the tool can automatically fill the size fields by dividing the image’s dimensions.

The tool will automatically name exported frames. You can use the saved frames file for single frame objects and objects with a simple animation out of box. But if you want a little more control, you can set custom names and aliases for your frames all within the application.

Finally you can load pre-existing frames files and edit them in the application. Images are provided below to demonstrate the applications function:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Download
    The application is currently in a preview state for testing purposes.
    The application only supports the windows operating system.

The Mediafire link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/vxkxrdelczaxmjr/ImageToFrames.zip/file

Important things to note:
    Will the application support platforms other than windows?:

The application is written in a framework specifically designed for windows. To port the application to other platforms would require it be almost entirely re-written for that platform. Furthermore, I only own a windows device. This is most troublesome for any mac port. Apple places major roadblocks on developers who don't own any of their devices. While there are workarounds for this, those that I know of are costly and time consuming. So while I can't say there will never be a linux port, I most definitely have no plans of porting to mac in the foreseeable future.

How do I use the application:

A short manual is provided with the download that explains the functions of the app.

I found a bug:
    Feel free to contact me either via my discord Quill#8477, or through this thread.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    rfelyran1977 likes this.
  2. rfelyran1977

rfelyran1977 Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you so much for this invaluable tool. It works like a charm on my laptop with an Intel Core i5-8265U, clocked at 1.6 GHz, 8 GB of RAM, and running Windows 10 Pro with all the latest security updates installed.

Keep up the excellent work! :D

3. Altairre

Glad to hear it's working for you and thanks for the feedback! I should be releasing a Recipes file editor sometime in the near future as well. :avail:D:

4. Altairre

The Application has just received it's first update. With the release of my Recipe Editor Tool fast approaching I've taken some time to update this old chestnut. The Application now matches the visual style of the Recipe Editor which will be the style of all tools moving forward. But this update doesn't just bring new looks! I've backported the ControlMenu features from the Recipe Editor. The new File Dropdown menu works the same as just about any other Application you might already be familiar with. Clear the application and create new files with "New", Save your file with "Save" and you will now be prompted with Save file explorer just like in any other app. Save it again and it will remember what file you're working on. Or create a copy with "Save As". And of course open a file for editing and save directly to it using the "Open" option. The User manual has also been updated to reflect these changes.