Modding Help Im trying to create a piece of headgear for nova kids that matches their skin color...

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Whachalkawala, Oct 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Whachalkawala

Whachalkawala Big Damn Hero

but every single fix that I've tried hasn't worked.
    I also don't seem to understand a lot of stuff...
    I've basically been using Hatter, Starcheat, Even using Pvt Skittles outfit templates but no matter what the ears I'm making refuse to light up or be litten up by the novakid... what am I doing wrong?

2. Whachalkawala

still working on this, but I'm wondering if a command like full bright could be considered an effect. I know glow is but it just doesn't look right.

3. Zaakari

Zaakari Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to clothing mods. But I can try to give you hand.

Are you wanting the headgear to assume the same colour as the novakid that is wearing it,
    or do you want it simply to be bright like the novakids?

Also, if you don't mind attaching the mod to one of your posts, then I could take a look at it.

4. Zaakari

I did some playing around, and got a custom ears item to be brightly coloured (by default).
    However, I don't think I can get it to change colour based on the colour of the person that is wearing them.
    Is this similar at all to what you were looking for?
    glowing_ears.png glowing_ears_2.png
    You can see the ear toward the right is even brighter than the ear on the left.
    The left one could, of course, still be made brighter.

5. RainbowHannah

RainbowHannah Void-Bound Voyager

I believe they want the fullbright effect that applies to novakid to apply to the hat item, likely to make it appear as though it is part of their body. I think I might be able to accomplish something with a tech mod, but of course it's not vanilla-compatible, and many people want vanilla compatibility to show off on servers.

6. Whachalkawala

If you could I'd like to see the JSON. file of your variant
    I was basically just using hatter and making them match up with a novakid skin tone, but I don't think you understand what I'm saying, its that the ears that I had were effected by shadows and i cannot for the life of me find a way to stop them from <Interacting> with light sources and or spots of darkness. ill post pictures in a minute

HERE. inside I put the JSON file generated by hatter, 5 images of the cat ears I made, and a third era Colovian fur helm for you to look at.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2019
  7. Whachalkawala

Obviously making them change skin color is very much impossible, I meant that I wanted it to be as bright as their skin color so that the ears match.

8. RainbowHannah

RainbowHannah Void-Bound Voyager

That's what I mean by fullbright; novakid skin has an effect applied to them called fullbright. This is not possible with armors at the moment.

9. Zaakari

Ah, I see what you mean.
    I've attached it inside the 7zip folder.
    In the file you'll see an array named "colorOptions"; these are the possible colour variations for the accessory. The default one seems to be the first element (the one marked glow pink, in this case).

Each element of the array is an object with a bunch of key/value pairs (separated by commas).
    The key (to the left of the semicolon) is the hexadecimal colour value to be replaced.
    The value (to the right of the semicolon) is the hexadecimal colour value that replaces the colour marked by the key.
    So each "ffca8a" coloured pixel is replaced with an "ffdbff" coloured pixel; and so on.

So, for curiosity's sake, do you know what things full bright is applicable to (apart from species)?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019