1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Idle Miners [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Crafting and Building' started by DraLUSAD, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DraLUSAD

DraLUSAD Giant Laser Beams

I really don't know, i'm not very good on giving sort of feed back, but the texture it self, would i need to re-scale the frames? as it could take me a while to re-configure it

all in all they look pretty good, could you make the icon as well, that would be great thanks =)

2. AArticuno3

AArticuno3 Big Damn Hero

Oh, I can put it into the frames, there is no problem with that. So do you want me to just differentiate them by color, just as you did it, or some other new way? And what about the "basic" miner should I make a separate model for that?

3. AArticuno3

AArticuno3 Big Damn Hero

Here you go, Tell me what you think of these:
    https://www.mediafire.com/?5pni6xk07bu9n8d

EDIT: OOPS kept black backgrounds in the first one, thought they were needed, they are gone now.

EDIT2: Tested them in game, and they look very.. welllll... IDLE. Do you think I should make the drill move down for like five frames an up for the next five frames so at least it looks like it's moving? Otherwise I have no idea what I would do, bc we would have to rework the whole mod to make an animation of the drill separate form the animation of the screen.
    (PS: My idea for that would be making an Addon-type drill where you would actually craft a different drill, while the monitor and the stand will be the same for all drills.This is super hypothetical though and if you don't want to do it that is fine.)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  4. DraLUSAD

5. DraLUSAD

6. DraLUSAD

7. DraLUSAD

DraLUSAD updated Idle Miners (Version is currently broken, will patch soon!) with a new update entry:

Patch Notes

Read the rest of this update entry...

8. DraLUSAD

9. DraLUSAD

10. AngleWyrm

AngleWyrm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Do the recipes require diamonds?

11. DraLUSAD

as always, yes, or at least they should

12. AngleWyrm

I've been playing Starbound for about three weeks and haven't yet seen a single diamond, so I'm just going to get the mod that lets me cheat them in.

That's how the developers make and these things, by cheating them in.

They don't actually test the experience of the delays they build, it's just someone messing around with percentages of rarity, followed by someone else making recipes that involve multiples of that delay, and so on.

The outcome is unusable, and everyone on the Nerf Train says "I didn't make it that bad, I just made it a little bit worse."

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  13. DraLUSAD

I will have to disagree here a minute, diamonds are indeed hard to find, specially with out an ore detector, but they do indeed exist on every planet, patients, and time and a keen eye will get you them diamonds.
    Reason i added diamonds and cores to the recipe is that its not an entirely an idle miner, you still need the resources, so you gotta work still, but when you have a lot of Idle Miners, like becomes easy

14. AngleWyrm

Three weeks of playing Starbound was too expensive for me; I've already been down to the lava levels and still not a single diamond.

So just like you (and probably everyone else who needs diamonds in Starbound) I cheat the diamonds in.

15. DraLUSAD

There is a difference to "Cheating", I "Cheat" to test, to insure it works, and balanced, that's what modding usually is about, to insure play ability and stability, on the other hand, cheating whiles playing at full, is just cheating, you could travel to other planets, higher levels tend to have diamonds in chests, or, get to the point of an Ore Detector, that usually helps, but, cheating whiles playing the game to its full, means one has little to no patients, or just no interest in playing at all, and want to skip the core game play

16. AngleWyrm

And I claim that the cheating done by developers is the reason why players must cheat them in: failure to "insure play ability" by not personally witnessing the designed experience.

The online MMORPG Age of Conan is a great example. The developers decided that chat boxes should be assigned a range of operation, and started meddling with where and how far a player could communicate with other players. But in the developer testing environment that feature was disabled and they were free to communicate without any such restrictions, because you know, it's necessary and stuff.

The experience they were working on during development was not the experience they were delivering to the public, and the result was an awful chat box.

17. DraLUSAD

yes, but this is Starbound, not Age of Conan, there is a missive difference to your comparison

18. DraLUSAD

DraLUSAD updated Idle Miners with a new update entry:

Patch notes

Read the rest of this update entry...

SivCorp and snakeanarchy like this.
  19. AngleWyrm

Connecting the dots is something that every parent should teach their children. Without it we get tunnel vision and repeated mistakes.

On the topic of scarcity being misinterpreted as value, where rare means cheat it in: Frequency and rarity are flip-sides of each other. Frequency = 1/rarity and rarity = 1/frequency of occurrence. How often/much supplies are available should match using those supplies, a stream in and out. Its supply of stuff and the demand for that supply of stuff.
    • When there is more need for a resource than there is supply of it then the result is a shortage, and the game play stalls.
    • When there is more supply available than uses for it, those resources are classified as 'common' and their resale value is set to 0 pixels.
    So what's an interesting extension of Starbound to do?
    How about inventing new uses for the stuff that is abundant, until need for it matches the supply of it?
    Where there is already too little supply to match the uses of it, cheating in new supplies is the answer to additional demands for that supply. Better to not create new uses for something that is already in shortage.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  20. DraLUSAD

This mod has been removed and is no longer available for download.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.