Modding Discussion [idea/searching for] powering device mod that requires specific object for the input?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by OJhat, Nov 21, 2017.

1. OJhat

OJhat Big Damn Hero

Have been searching through the mod lists, but I'm having trouble finding what I would love to have.

The premise is that much like all of the vanilla crafting benches, to craft certain new objects, you need specific materials listed by the game.

What if a there was a powering device (wall switch, box, pedestal, stone with a big hole in it, whatever) that could be programmed by the player where a specific object must be placed into the device before it would power on? any other object would not work. It could only be that specific object selected by the player who first placed down the device. the object could be anything; diamond, apple, kitchen counter, dirt, upgrade module, any backpack object of choosing. if the object is removed, power is immediately discontinued. basically a glorified coding switch, but instead of numeric ids, it simply uses item ids and checks to see if the input matches the chosen item id when the device was first created.

I don't know if this exists already somewhere in the modding scene. I figure, since the required material coding is already in the game something like this wouldn't be too hard to do, but I neither have successfully found such a working mod, nor have the capability of creating it myself. This post was mostly to glean information from veteran browsers who may know more than I.

2. SpazDiesFirst360.0

SpazDiesFirst360.0 Phantasmal Quasar

You are probably looking for someone with advanced lua knowledge; knows the ins and outs of it.

Unfortunately, I do not really know lua, but this post is an attempt to help direct you towards your goal.

3. OJhat

OJhat Big Damn Hero

I have discovered one mod that offers this feature, although it is not exactly as I have described, it functions just as well. the modder created an object he calls an 'item sensor' which detects for a specific item once scanned with said item; it will then turn on if said item is nearby, even in the player's inventory.

it is part of a bigger mod called "Macrochip"
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729444820