1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Idea for monster drops. (Loot Bags)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SergeZeKiller, Dec 30, 2015.

1. SergeZeKiller

SergeZeKiller Space Spelunker

What if monsters had a chance to drop loot bags that consisted of four variates inlcluding: Material, Melee, Gun, and Decoration. Also, there would be different rarities for these loot bags, the rarities for the regular Starbound items. (Common, Uncommon, Rare, Legendary). The bags would contain an amount of items depending on their rarity. (Common and Uncommon have a chance to drop 1-3 items and Rare and Legendary drop 3-5 items). The higher the rarity the harder to find. Not only that but the easier the monsters are, the less there is a chance of getting a high rarity or getting one at all, opposite with harder enemies. As planet difficulties get higher so do loot bag drop rates. But if it is a mini boss, (The monsters with the red particles coming out of them), there is a 100% chance to get a rare or legendary loot bag. Eg. You are rushing by and you stumble upon a monster. It is hard to kill and it drops a rare material loot bag. You open it and get 5 titanium bars, 20 copper bars, and 10 diamonds. You understand where I'm getting at. And believe me, know that this would take a lot of effort to achieve, but if a modder out there or Tiy sees this, please take this into mind. My motives are that this would add a deeper RPG element and would give a better reason to kill monsters instead of just pixels. The numbers do not have to stay the same, they are just reasonable variables that came to mind.
    P.S I would do this myself without any hesitation whatsoever but i couldn't code to save my life. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. Fantango

Fantango Space Penguin Leader

I actually really hate loot bags... that's not true, I hate constantly receiving loot bags, particularly if they're often full of common items or the same item. If I have to click to open it I want it to be worth while, otherwise just drop that shit normally. Boss/minibosses dropping bags would be alright, and getting bag when a mob drops an action figure (if there was more than just the figure in there) then that'd be cool... but having to click to open a bag with 3 low quality ore and maybe a gun with crap stats would annoy me more than just having them drop. The only time when repetitive or low quality drop bags are okay is during events (Christmas, Halloween, in-game festival) and the items they contain are thematic (and some of those items are limited time).

KatherineOfSky likes this.
  3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Yeah, if a boss would normally drop X number of items, why compress them into a single item you have to manually open yourself? Just drop the items and be done with it.

STCW262 and KatherineOfSky like this.
  4. SergeZeKiller

SergeZeKiller Space Spelunker

I can see where you are coming from and i completely agree with you. But some deep RPG lovers like me really enjoy those types of things and i mean you wouldnt need to download the mod if you don't want too. And they would probably add an option not to drop them.[DOUBLEPOST=1451540921][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Well if they are compressed into a single storage container, then you can choose what you want, instead of having a bunch of random things in your inventory that you have to throw away.

5. KatherineOfSky

KatherineOfSky Big Damn Hero

Yeah, but even if you want to throw away ALL of the items, it's still x number of clicks -- open inventory, open container, click out item a, b, c. Then, close container, and throw away container.

Otherwise, items automatically appear in your inventory, and they can be trashed with FAR fewer clicks. (And TBH, I don't throw out anything.... I sell weaps for pixels, but keep EVERYTHING else.)

Mod -- ok, but I hope this NEVER becomes part of the official game.

6. Fantango

Fantango Space Penguin Leader

If you want this as a mod then go nuts, there's nothing wrong with that. You could probably do it yourself... Follow an up-to-date tutorial and all you'd need to do would be to alter the treasure tables of various mobs and have them drop your loot bag item that itself has a treasure table that it'd drop when you use it. I think there's already an in-game item that drops items on use... maybe ask around in the modding forum once you're set up and someone friendly might explain to you how to achieve what you want if you can articulate what you need to do.