I was going to marry Penny, but... Alcohol

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Venatio777, May 30, 2017.

?

Would a Wine Farm be a problem for Penny?

1. No, not at all!

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. She might not like it.

15 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Venatio777

Venatio777 Subatomic Cosmonaut

As the title says, I was going to marry Penny on my River Farm character (my first) because I can't help but feel she is the Betty to Haley's Veronica (Archie Comic Reference). However, I noticed on her hate list that she hates wine, ale and mead.

Understandable, her mother (Pam) has been racked by terrible alcoholism. But here is the thing: my farmer is going to turn his farm (Star Stream Farm) into a large-scale winery. Wouldn't she hate that? Would she resent me for it?

This thread is purely for speculation, I would not ask the community to pour over their reasoning for our perceptions of 8-bit Sprites (adorable though they may be).

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    • RogueZephyr

RogueZephyr Subatomic Cosmonaut

Given her background, she may start worrying that you'll start to sample the wares a bit too much and start sliding down the slippery slope that Pam has slid down.

Venatio777 likes this.
      • Venatio777

A valid concern to be sure. But I wouldn't mind sampling some fine wine now and then with a good Stir Fry plate. Still, selling off kegs of pale ale and wine might at-least discomfort her.

My head-cannon just can't seem to placate this possible character conflict. The Riverland Farm is a great map but there is not much room for animals, and artisan goods such as wine will maximize profits. The morality of selling wine and ale never really occurred to me until now, as silly as it sounds. Even Ancient Fruit Wine will find its way to the cup of an alcoholic (though a very rich one). Of all the characters, Penny would be the most likely to object or at-least disprove of such a decision.

RogueZephyr likes this.
        • RogueZephyr

I've just thought of something... what if its non-alcoholic wine? I haven't done much with artisan goods, but is there anything to suggest that the wine is alcoholic or could come in an alcohol free version?

Venatio777 likes this.
          • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Drinking wine in the game has the same tipsy de-buff that beer carries. Beer, wine, mead, and pale ale all give a 'tipsy' de-buff that lasts a little while in the game. So, yes, it's very clearly alcoholic.

You could always stick to kegging vegetables, which generate 'juice' product instead. Juice doesn't have any negative status affect to indicate it's alcoholic.

RogueZephyr and Venatio777 like this.
            • Venatio777

Certainly not nearly as lucrative as wine, and would require replanting most after a single harvest save in cases such as with greenbeans. It is certainly a thought, but I had my heart set on the wine trade.

But using vegetable juice instead of fruit wine would be a good workaround.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

The question then becomes: to which do you have your heart set upon more? A winery or Penny?

Venatio777 likes this.
                • RogueZephyr

That age old question. What do you sacrifice, your dreams or your love.

Venatio777 and Surenu like this.
                  • RogueZephyr

Ah, I haven't touched a drop since I started (Honest guv!)

Venatio777 likes this.
                    • Venatio777

Hate to say it, but I think the winery. I was already split between Penny and Haley (because I wanted Leah for a Forest Map run), so this just tips it one way in my head. Both are at four hearts and the second Flower Festival is coming up. I can only choose one to dance with me, and I need to make that choice soon. Because head cannon fluff-fluff.

I mean, I had this image in my head of a series of islands dedicated to producing wine and honey when I visualized Star Stream Farm after my first winter. Mind you, in that dream we had stone bridges connecting the islands and not freaking planks. Basically, I am role-playing my character as seeking success and wealth above all else. At least at the moment.

I am only sad that Penny would disapprove of the means by which I attain that success.

Priceless!

Last edited: May 31, 2017
                      • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I have to wish that CA had written that kind of response in for Penny--perhaps setting a flag for above a certain number of alcoholic beverages produced in a given period. Would have made for a nicely specific touch in the game.

Venatio777 and Surenu like this.
                        • Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

This. I'd like it in general if people would comment on what I produce. "Oh, you sure grow a lot of [crop]!"

Venatio777, blind3rdeye and Borodin like this.
                          • Magistrella

Magistrella Big Damn Hero

Wouldn't it be great if Abigail ran around like a cat on catnip, when the first patch of pumpkins becomes harvestable at 10th of Fall? >;3

@Topic:

I'd judge Penny as a character who can't forgive that easily if hurt, hence her loosing excessive amounts of hearts when gives then wrong answer in scenes, but i'd doubt she's deaf for reason. If you only sell it and don't drink it, i don't see how she could resent you for it, unless you pass out like Shane on the cliff...

And isn't love about loving the things you don't like as well? Even if she hates alcohol, i doubt she'd force us to stop producing or drinking all together if we didn't overdo it (as in: wake up in the pigs trough *cough*)

^.^

Venatio777 likes this.
                            • Venatio777

There is not much Penny can do to force your character to stop producing wine and ale short of threatening a divorce and taking the kids. My concern was that she would not be as happy on a Wine Farm as she would be on a Dairy Farm or a Syrup Farm. There are a lot of ways to wealth in Stardew Valley, the only reason we have to raise animals and grow different crops is because of the Bundle Requirements. After they are out of the way, we can decide what kind of farmer we want to be. Which is really the sad part of the game, but we get over it.

Penny is certainly not some Temperance Shrew, but her heavy distaste for alcoholic beverages might color her views in a given head-cannon. That it might be something to consider is what I was concerned with. Maybe I am thinking too much into it, but the idea of the conversation "I am growing vast amounts of fruits to ferment into wine this season, and later wheat into beer" does not settle well with me if Penny were involved.

I had my heart set on a winery on this character, but if I ever make another farmer then I would possibly be tempted to do a Dairy Farm. Penny would be happier with that I am sure.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Dump Penny, it's all about the money!! *This message paid for by Haley*

Seriously, I don't think Penny would mind too much, so long as you point out it's been your dream to have a winery before you moved here. She might not like it at first to be sure, but if she sees that you are just selling it and not sampling repeatedly, I suspect Penny will grow to at least tolerate it. Betty in the comics is far more open to change than Veronica is, and while Penny might not be thrilled with the winery, I feel Penny would see that you aren't becoming another alcoholic and put up with it.

RogueZephyr likes this.
                                • Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

I can just speak for myslef (my father was and probably is an alcoholic), but I wouldn`t mind living on a winery farm. Getting drunk is a decision everyone makes for himself or herself - noone forces you to drink. I would be far more concerned about a husband who drinks every day.

Surenu likes this.
                                  • Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Sorry to hear that about your father. You make a good point though - just producing the stuff doesn't make our characters alcoholics, and there's a difference between drinking one glass of wine and downing bottle after bottle.

Rauchschwalbe likes this.