1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to write some stories about Starbound, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by startravelr, Jan 24, 2018.

1. startravelr

startravelr Space Hobo

Well i want to write something cuz i'm bored, and i think that maybe i can write some neat stories! But i need suggestions. Please. :up:

2. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The best thing you could do is to make sure to add your own lore on top of their's. Don't just do a play-by-play of the stuff they did. Do stuff in game like build your own facilities, castles, etc. I even went so far to build a crashed spaceship under an arctic planet which is kind of sticking halfway out of the ground and halfway into the ground (like the crashed ship from Super Metroid.) If you added stuff that you felt the urge to create, added lore behind it, and added their lore into it, it'd make for a great story I think.

startravelr likes this.
  3. startravelr

startravelr Space Hobo

Thanks.

4. Yavor

Yavor Big Damn Hero

As a fellow writer, I wish you lots of inspiration! (And free time)

5. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Give the main character a pet.

6. Gasboy

Gasboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

One is a plucky Apex bounty hunter, the other a Floran named Stabitha. Together, THEY FIGHT CRIME!

7. Milosz3107

Milosz3107 Pangalactic Porcupine

...generic

The Squid and Ickura like this.
  8. Gasboy

Gasboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Great criticism. Let's compare it to your suggestion. Oh wait...

9. TheCrow7200

TheCrow7200 Void-Bound Voyager

well...his suggestion might be generic for the beginning but it can evolve into something out of the ordinary easily since they could have different traits and abilities from each other and anyways they could always have completely different cultural bases like The floran Stabitha could be a herbivore and be completely against the whole florans are carnivore and basically be a cannibal of sorts....this turned weird quickly...well whatever

10. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Even though many people(inclunding me, to be honest)'s stories are basically a retelling of their gameplay (Earth survivor goes on space adventure and saves the world from Ruin) I do think you don't have to go out of your way to avoid this because 'it's been done'. The grand/overall plot is there, but you can totally make a personal spin - fleshing out your characters and make them interesting is the most important thing, imo.
    That though you can also make the game plot just some background happenings and focus on the shenanigans of your individual characters, heck, that's basically what I'm working on right now.

11. Starfan87

Starfan87 Void-Bound Voyager

maybe you could write a story about all the holes starbound has. Like the ancients maybe developed a weapon so powerful that it could destroy planets (metroid) and maybe they abandoned the technology like the chozo. Or maybe see the underbelly, not just mister hero guy. A rising story maybe? Seeing that the sidelines in some way always manner. Or a nega story. From the perspective of an occulus maybe? If anyone is going to say something hate-y then s-you. You waste your time feeding on people's weaknesses. Thanks good luck.

12. Milosz3107

If you want to you could try and make an alternate history where The Ruin didn't attack earth and maybe some secret corp. in the U.S.C.M. takes over and goes rogue against the Protectorate and the Apex join too with the promise of free test subjects in exchange for weapons/armour/supplies.

FoxDE2 likes this.
  13. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's an excellent point. You can write stories based on what Starbound looked like it was going to be in early Beta, with those mushroom people and the Apex labs everywhere and U.S.C.M. bunkers everywhere.

The Squid and Milosz3107 like this.
  14. jonathonspy

jonathonspy Existential Complex

Hmm....a Story of Floran and Hylotl explorers who use their skills to their advantage?
    the Floran using their Plant control and hunting and climbing skills to get food and the Hylotl doing all the water related stuff?

15. AdventuresMayke

AdventuresMayke Void-Bound Voyager

How the Novakids have been borned.

16. OneLessLonelyGlitch

OneLessLonelyGlitch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When i write, i try to take a small chunk of lore plus my own unique spin to create something new. I don't post my stuff online but for example, I have a story based on an male Apex character that wishes to rebel against the Miniknog. A setup like that can branch out in so many ways. Does the Apex join the rebellion? Does he gather forces in the dead of night and rally fed up Apex in town? Also, since this is a game that allows space travel, set up different locations on different planets to slowly branch out even more. What if this Apex guy travels to a forest planet with a rebel settlement? Does he take a team of skilled fighters to raid his home settlement? Does he go to an uncharted planet housing the base of science experiments and tries to stop them?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Milosz3107 likes this.
  17. Milosz3107

This would probably have to be written by a different species though (if you decide to go that way) since what's on the wiki clearly says they didn't write their own history.

18. jonathonspy

Hmm...

Floran Ship captain who wants to explore, save people and catalogue and eat tasty animals (alongside collecting specimens to clone) gets caught in one of those spacial rifts, gets sent to another reality (setting) and has to wait for their tech to sync back up to their reality before they can go back.

Pro: New reality to explore, new animals to eat and clone. (maybe new loot to bring back)
    Con: new reality full of things that are different than before, has to wait a year or so to get back.

Setting they were sent to is up to chance, either comic, cartoon or game...
    Crew with one of every canon race, maybe some modded ones as well.

19. jonathonspy

Hmm...

Floran Ship captain who wants to explore, save people and catalogue and eat tasty animals (alongside collecting specimens to clone) gets caught in one of those spacial rifts, gets sent to another reality (setting) and has to wait for their tech to sync back up to their reality before they can go back.

Pro: New reality to explore, new animals to eat and clone. (maybe new loot to bring back)
    Con: new reality full of things that are different than before, has to wait a year or so to get back.

Setting they were sent to is up to chance, either comic, cartoon or game...
    Crew with one of every canon race, maybe some modded ones as well.

anyone have any ideas for settings?

20. Milosz3107

Edit your post instead of double-posting, or at least delete your old one.