1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

I want to get back home! (=restore saved game)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by _blank, Oct 11, 2020.

1. _blank

_blank Void-Bound Voyager

Hi,

I stopped playing Starbound some time ago, not long after release 1.3.0. As a measure of caution, I saved some files from the install directory on my NAS, in case my hard drive crashed.

Unfortunately it happened a few weeks ago, and as I reinstalled everything on my new drive, I thought I'd like to come back to Starbound for a while.

I installed SB and copied my backup files to the install directory. When I start the game, my character is in my ship (fully upgraded, all my inventory is as I left it - except I think a killer sword I think I had). BUT! When I try to teleport to my "secret hideout" (also known as workshop / garden / museum / fuel tank / underwater biodomes), my ship teleporter doesn't offer any other option than to beam down on the planet I'm orbitting.

The files I backed up are:
    - all my "player" directory, containing .player and .shipworld files
    - two .world files.

I thought one of these .world files would be the planet I want to reach, so I entered the coordinates in the navigation control panel, but they only point to the big void of space.

SO! Do you have any idea how I could find my special place again? And maybe also the Outpost?

Thanks in advance!

2. _blank

_blank Void-Bound Voyager

Hi,

After thinking about it a bit, it is normal that the coordinates of my planet point to nothing, as the universe is generated randomly.

I solved my problems by setting my course to a system hosting a planet with the same characteristics as my "home" planet. Then I quit the game and replaced the file of the new planet with my saved file, which I renamed to match the coordinates of the new one. Then all I had to do was swim to the entrance of my hideout, find my teleporter and activate it.

I didn't remember it, but going to the outpost was even simpler: I only needed to explore a lush planet until I found a portal, which I activated using core fragments.

Then all in all, I only lost the planet where I had set my tenants, so that's only a minor inconvenience.

This topic can be closed, I hope this helps someone with the same problem!

icegriffon likes this.