I want to do away with the whole thing!!

Discussion in 'Mods' started by SVFarmRanch, Sep 19, 2017.

1. SVFarmRanch

SVFarmRanch Void-Bound Voyager

and start over. Ive had badd luck with the mods i have. I just want to clear out my game and start from the beginning. I want to use certain mods again. They dont seem to work with the way my computer is now. Is there a way to totally delete the game from steam? I figure if I delete everything and start over, from a new directory then i can download the mods and install with no problems. My mod issues started once the latest update was installed. After looking at the forum, it seems many had issues after this update, so i think you all know which one i mean. Its been months since i played my modded game. Im missing it so much. Can someone help me start from scratch??

• sabrinatw

sabrinatw Phantasmal Quasar

You could potentially debug your game from any troublesome .xnb files by going into Steam, right clicking on Stardew Valley, going to Properties and then verifying files (which replaces the modded .xnb files with the original vanilla versions). It won’t remove any SMAPI mods though, they will have to be deleted manually.

Or you can simply uninstall and reinstall the game via Steam.

Another option might be to move you save files to a different folder or externally (on a usb maybe) so that you can transfer them once a fresh game is installed via Steam and see how that works - saves you losing everything. You could then potentially add mods one by one to pinpoint which ones are causing issues.

I’m in no way an expert at this, but have recently had a few mods mess up my game and had to use Steam to help ‘clean’ the files a few times. Hopefully my ideas help a little or, if not, I’m sure an expert will be along to assist!

• Mylestone

Mylestone Subatomic Cosmonaut

I recommend doing what Moonlightfarmer has stated. But, once you have reinstalled the game, make a backup of the entire contents folder in the game. This way, if a specific xnb mod breaks your game, you can simply replace it with the backup no matter what file it is since you've backed up the entire content folder. I make xnb mods and have broken my game more times than I can shake a stick at, simply replace the bad file with the backup and good to go.

sabrinatw likes this.
        • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Delete your mods directory, delete the smapi exe, then go into steam and "Verify Local Files" for SDV, wait until steam has repaired any modded xnb files.

Then, install SMAPI and run the game with just SMAPI once.

After that, go nuts and install mods - just make sure they are SMAPI 1.15 compatible!