Modding Help I want my shipworld to loop, like a planet

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by IHart, Dec 3, 2016.

1. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm learning how to make ships, is there a way to make it loop like planets? I kinda want my ship to just be a small moon. Yes i understand that it won't actually render radially.
    Alternatively, is there a way to do this for dungeons and instanced worlds? like if i want my mission to be a small moon.
    I'm into small moons.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Nope. Not possible. They are instanced world.

3. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

how do we know that instanced worlds cannot be looped?

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Because they are dungeons not worlds.

5. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Ships are generated differently, yes. They are not instanced. I think we'd all be very unhappy if they where, because you'd loose your stuff constantly. For that matter even changing backgrounds wouldn't stick between sessions.

As per the question, actually the shipworlds DO loop... horizontally that is. As proof of that they loop
    download my Shipyard Rebuilt mod (you might examine it anyhow)
    Download a tech that allows fast travel and unlimited mid air jumps(cough)(cough)
    go into admin mode so you don't run out of energy
    climb up top, and dash/FTL/etc keep moving (optionally in debug mode to see the coordinates)
    You'll leave the shipyard into open space, but eventually end back at the shipyard's other side.

Shipworlds are real worlds that measure a mere 2048 x 2048. I know of no method to expand this, or modify most planet parameters like gravity.

You could even legitimately loop the shipyard. I've done it before. Use Base in a Box to scan the hallways. Or if I'd just update material names in the files(to 1.0+ names)... you can use my premade BiaB objects mod. Although the hallways in that don't reflect the current layout. You could wrap around easily using that.

Also an interesting fact... you can't do this now but back in EK, I deleted my shipworld and cloned an actual world yet named it (whatever numbers).shipworld. It worked except for one tiny flaw... a fuel capacity of 0. If that still worked now, you could fix the fuel capacity with an upgrade! Sadly it doesn't.

--edit--

I should add the reason you might have thought they where like dungeons, is that you hit a barrier. Some Build-your-own ship mods actually use the barrier(blockKey 255, 0, 0, 255)... possibly because they assume it needs to exist in the edge(or so I guess). It doesn't. I don't utilize this. Therefore you can loop in my mod just fine.

I suppose any flying vehicle mod would also be an easy way to experience the looping

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    IHart likes this.
  6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

If they do loop, then you should be able to, in theory, make a custom ship that is just along 2048 block platform, or if you have a massive ship, you should be able to see the front end from the back or vice versa, but Ive not seen that despite having a large ship.

I must test this now...

Edit: And you are correct... Weird. I never thought they were instanced like dungeouns, just instanced away from the normal game. Though I wouldnt recommend making your ship world loops, cus even with nothing, my game is sitting idle on the ship world with over 1GB of memory used with spikes over 4GB. It is a big memory hog to do this.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  7. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Sorry for necropost but like i'm in the subject theses days , shipworld loop , i've made a "planet-ship".

Maybe it's wasn't possible in 2016 , but now it's the possible.

(i've land here because i search a way to make terraformer usable on a shipworld btw)