1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

~~~~~I THINK SOMEBODY FOUND THE REASON FOR FPS LAG~~~~~

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Thedot44, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Thedot44

Thedot44 Master Chief

for people that have more than 4 cores on their processors (I have 6) it only runs off of 1 core which results in extremely low framerates

2. cestislife

cestislife Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Another reason would be the graphics card, don't believe running on a single core is the main cause of said issue. What graphics card do you have? Is it an integrated one? Remember the game is still in BETA, and optimization still isn't there yet.

3. Miths

Miths Tentacle Wrangler

Without making any other changes, I get significantly better framerates running the game on the integrated Intel 4000 chip in my laptop instead of on the much faster Geforce 720m. And it seems like most (all?) of the people reporting problems are using Nvidia cards.

Meanwhile I posted or reposted the best workaround in another thread. Renaming starbound.exe to whatever and starbound_opengl.exe to starbound.exe. That forces the game to run the OpenGL client for a massive framerate boost, Nvidia or otherwise.

4. Magdev

Magdev Orbital Explorer

My GPU should be more than adequate for the game (Radeon HD 6870) but I'm getting a whopping 15FPS. I'm guessing it's more of an incompatibility/graphical issue than an actual performance problem.

5. ibebyi

ibebyi Master Chief

Miths, nice find about the OpenGl. If that's the case you could probably also create a game profile in your GPU drivers control panel and force triple buffering. I can't think of a real reason to force triple buffered vsync in this game but maybe it will help with some stuttering?

Also, on that note, are there any effects or anything that is rendered differently with OpenGL?

6. Miths

Miths Tentacle Wrangler

Okay, so not just Nvidia then.

7. Ghostkyle

Ghostkyle Space Hobo

I am getting terrible lag but I have a 4 core amd apu. It should be running around 30-40 fps. I know that because every few minutes it speeds up and stays there for a minute or two then slows back down.

8. Magdev

Magdev Orbital Explorer

Running the OpenGL version seemed like it would fix it but I still got 15FPS.
    Also I recommend renaming the original .exe to starbound_basic or something and not starbound_opengl when it's not actually opengl if you want to do that.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  9. ibebyi

ibebyi Master Chief

I dont understand, I thought you were simply renaming the OpenGL version to Starbound.exe so that Steam would launch it instead of the original Starbound.exe?

10. cestislife

cestislife Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've heard that turning off "Multicore optimization" or something along the lines of that in the nvidia control panel would help in FPS. Can anyone confirm this?

11. Ghostkyle

Ghostkyle Space Hobo

I have just found that if I disable all but two cores for starbound, I get a steady 30 fps. I am not sure if that was just a fix for my issues, so can anyone try it and confirm it?

12. Edeamous

Edeamous Poptop Tamer

I'm running a Geforce GTX 260M, and my Fps is DRAGGING. Not fun considering I run Skyrim on full settings. Even forcing it into OpenGL does very little.

13. IISethII

IISethII Space Spelunker

I tried the rename and ended up getting access violation errors on start-up. Ran a file integrity chk through steam to take me back to square one lol =(