I stole my own torches and now a whole NPC town wants to kill me

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by captain kid, Aug 11, 2016.

1. captain kid

captain kid Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am building a colony inside an existing human camp. But I accidentally picked up my own torches 3 times in a row now all the NPC's want me dead.

How do I put the camp back at non hostile mode? I spend hours already building houses and really rather not slaughter the whole village.

2. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

It's not just this. If you're on a planet that has fire-rains or meteors and you just happen to be around when their town gets destroyed, you'll get aggro'd for picking up their sh*t.

It's not a well-thought-out design at all.

3. captain kid

Why would NPC's build a town on a planet with fire rains in the first place.

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

That is more a side-effect of the design, not the actual intended design.

5. captain kid

Crisis averted; I killed the guards and the rest of the NPC's are acting normal non hostile.

Now I would like to respawn the guards but can't find the proper span command on the Wiki page:
    http://starbounder.org/Spawn_NPC_Command
    They looked like a bountyhunter in the outpost but that command doesn't do anything.

6. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

I didn't mean to imply it was INTENDED, more that... they really should've seen this coming.

They programmed the NPC guards to react to the village property being destroyed, and didn't think "... what if the village is destroyed by some external force? Don't we have weather conditions that can, you know, destroy buildings?"

And yet... wooden hylotl villages are allowed to exist on volcanic planets with ember rains.

That seems like an immense oversight.

7. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

All NPC's have only short term memory. Just leave the planet and come back after some time - most will forget who are.

8. captain kid

I even left the solar system but that didn't work. Will try waiting longer next time.

9. Rezanta

Rezanta Space Hobo

What I've found out from my experiences on fiery planets, if you take blocks or other items from their area, it builds aggro. After so much, normal NPCs will alert guards, in turn which get you attacked. However, depending on how the village/city/whathaveyou is, you can get away with stealing from one house or two. (I do recommend not smashing breakables. They alert a lot of folks) I've carried weps through villages all the time with no issue, and outside of camps, even with accidents happening, I was fine. Although, this oddly doesn't apply to avians, as they'll just straight up kill you. In a Floran village I was in, I looted a house, got attacked, killed a couple guards and a few npcs, and the other half of the village was fine with me. So my guess is the larger it is, the more you shouldn't have to worry if you don't have a paniking npc about.

10. Jim Witness

Jim Witness Subatomic Cosmonaut

The trick is to not let anyone see you smash the breakable or grab the furniture. They don't give a fig about the blocks. Unless something is mounted to said block.
    May this help you in the future.

Also, if you're using Steam, this could also help. It is not mine, but I use it in my game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735010240

P. S.
    If you want to use it, you'll have to remove the artificial extension. It seems that (.pak) extension is not liked by the forum uploading feature. Also, it only stops weather block damage. If you do the deed yourself they will still come after you.

Attached Files: