Modding Help I need some help with making new modded items

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by MrHonHonHon, Aug 31, 2017.

1. MrHonHonHon

MrHonHonHon Space Hobo

I decided to try and make some mods to practice my coding and also cause I feel like there's some stuff that's missing in Starbound that I would love to eventually add to my own game. I decided to start by looking up some modding tutorials but sadly I cant seem to find any that are of recent versions and after piecing together and troubleshooting a test mod I was making, that would in theory add a pickaxe with basically infinite durability that can break anything instantly, for about three hours I realized that the wiki page I was using (https://starbounder.org/Modding:Basic_Property_Modification) said that the merging part "no longer works" and I can't really find out what to do instead. Up until recently I was using a video from like 2014 and so if everything I've done is wrong then I would love to know. So far I have a .miningtool file that has an alternate version of a copper pickaxe (renamed and changed around so I can tell the difference once I make it in-game) in my mod folder (mods\GoodPick\items\tools\miningtools) along with some custom pngs named GoodPick.png, GoodPickbig.png, and GoodPickicon.png. (Which is what i think are the names of other item pngs in the game) I also have a .recipe file for the pick (mods\GoodPick\recipes\emptyhands) that says it costs 1 wood log so I don't have to struggle at all to make it. I have a _metadata.metadata file with my Author name, description of the mod, the "friendlyName" of the mod which from what i've learned is the name that you actually see in the mods list i guess, the name, and the version. (That's what was necessary according to one of the many YouTube videos I was watching. That's all I really have and the mod is showing up in the mod list but it doesnt do anything and I cant figure out why. Any help would be greatly apprec. Thanks In Advance

tl;dr A mod I'm trying to make to add an op pickaxe isnt working and I dont know why, pls help me...

2. Tentacle_Sashimi

Tentacle_Sashimi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

best way to learn modding is to look at working code in the game and reverse engineer it for your own purposes.

superfishaxe is already in the game, functions as a pick axe, and instantly destroys blocks.

Looking at the superfishaxe code should tell you what you need to know.

3. MrHonHonHon

MrHonHonHon Space Hobo

Thank you for telling me about the fishaxe. Helped me out a lot and I actually managed to get the item into the game. Only problem now is it makes me completely invincible if it's in the game. Time to fix that I guess

4. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

turn of admin mode my sir. To spawn items you go into admin mode, you're still invincible because you didn't turn it off.