Digital I love The Floran

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Musetrigger, May 31, 2013.

1. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

[​IMG]

Is it easy to tell?

And wouldn't they make wonderful dancers if their race developed for just a little longer to incorporate a much deeper culture?

2. Catoosie

Catoosie Heliosphere

Very stylistic picture. I like it.
    I also like the shading... it's simple but effective.

Musetrigger likes this.
  3. Musetrigger

Thanks! Not really that much shading going on, just in the hair... or the flower. It IS a simple piece. It only took me an hour and a half, maybe less.

4. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

The gradient on the inside of the hair is really nice.

Musetrigger likes this.
  5. Musetrigger

I ought to do requests in this style. People might like it.

Seajun_ likes this.
  6. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

How the hell do you paint like this?! I've tried everything I know and I can't even come close to this style, despite the fact that I really want to know how.

Musetrigger likes this.
  7. Musetrigger

It's very simple. The trick is Fast Strokes. I sketch out the rough doodle of my little subject, then I make a lineart layer and use one fast strokes on the longer lines. I erase whatever excess there is and Voila! I am left with smooth lines.

I also used the eraser to thin out certain parts to keep it from looking too rough around the edges.

Derpghost56 likes this.
  8. Heartstrings

Hmm. I tried to use the line and curve tool. That explains something.

Musetrigger likes this.
  9. Musetrigger

That's another way, and it'll give you the same result. My way is probably a little faster though. But that's because I worked at honing such a method.

Usually I'd go to Illustrator to get my smooth lines, but then I got better with Photoshop. When you're able to do it fast, you can do commissions with relative ease.

10. Heartstrings

Yeah. I use Paint.net and Flame Painter if I want to do some art, not photoshop. Suppose that's why I can't figure this out. Paint.net doesn't have the right tools.

11. Musetrigger

Did you look into using Paint tool SAI or GIMP? Those programs are so good that they're both considered as "The poor man's Photoshop."

12. Heartstrings

I tried GIMP, but I didn't really like it.

13. Musetrigger

I didn't like Photoshop until I started getting familiar with it. It just takes a little dedication to learn the program.