1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed I keep loosing Homeworlds and Characters!

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by rkilburn81, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkilburn81

rkilburn81 Aquatic Astronaut

I have put 300+ hours into this game, and I recently keep losing homeworlds, teleporter locations, and bookmarked locations upon start-up, and now I lost all my characters!
    What gives? Is there any way to fix this?

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Do their files still exist?

3. rkilburn81

I dunno, how do I check that?
    Playing using Steam.

4. lazarus78

Go to the game's installation folder and go to ..\giraffe_storage\player

5. rkilburn81

Found it, now what?

6. lazarus78

Are the files still there?

7. rkilburn81

Seems like it. File dates from yesterday.
    upload_2015-12-16_18-17-18.png

8. lazarus78

Did you by chance download an update jkust before the characters went missing from the game? The recent update is not compatible with old characters and a new character is required.

9. rkilburn81

No, my computer crashed and when I booted back up, my characters were gone. This happened a few times to my teleport locations and bookmarks, and so I just hoarded all my stuff on my ship. Now I lost the hundreds of hours I put into my characters. :/

10. lazarus78

Well they are likely corrupt now. You could try opening them in starcheat and see if that fixes anything, but I wouldn't count on it.

11. iBurresgate

iBurresgate Space Hobo

the same happened to me, first I lost my worlds and bookmarks and today it crashed again but now I lost the character I was playing atm (my other characters are fine)
    is there a revert for this os something? this is really frustrating I was almost getting into rubium and stuff

12. Devamia

Devamia Void-Bound Voyager

Same here... I just lost a character. The game crashed while I was attempting to explore the new crystal areas, and when i returned, promptly crashed again in the same place. Afterwards, attempting to open Starbound up again revealed no saved characters. I experienced a slowdown before it happened, both times. I tried importing the .shipworld over to save at least SOMETHING, but I can't go to the outpost even after I complete the tutorial quests as well as the ship one. I have it selected in planet view and everything, but it just makes a beeping noise. I'll just keep my old files somewhere just in case, but this is really disappointing. I don't want to do everything all over again, I've lost a lot of collectibles and work.

EDIT: I found an old backup of my character, and restored the files. I lost some progress, but not everything at the very least, thank goodness...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  13. rkilburn81

How do you restore the character?

14. lazarus78

In the folder where your characters are, there should be 1-3 files with extentions of "bak1", "bak2", and "bak3". Just remove the file extension so that the file has a .shipworld extension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.