1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue i cant open starbound on steam!

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by cardboard7, Jun 8, 2018.

1. cardboard7

cardboard7 Aquatic Astronaut

im trying to play starbound on steam on my linux ubuntu. i have met the requirements and have played before on my old but now broken windows. when i press play steam says its running for a second, then without opening anything, stops running.
    i have 0 ideas why we this happens, before i stopped synching from the cloud, it started running, then synched. it still stopped. i would like some help as starbound is one of my favorite games

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please provide your starbound.log located in the storage folder of your starbound install.

3. cardboard7

i cant seem to find it, where do i go on the file system?

i think i got it

aaaaaaaaand i cant post what i was going to

side note, i tried to launch the unstable version, same thing, nothing opens. when i launch a dedicated server on the unstable version, it does open a window for a split second then it closes, then the same thing, runs... then stops.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2018
  4. Iris Blanche

Whoa calm down :nurushock:
    Please avoid double/triple posting. Use the edit function if you want to make additions to your previous post. :nurushock:
    I merged your posts.

I need your log tho. Without it i am not able to help you.

5. cardboard7

ok, but i still got no answer on where to find it, i checked my file system and browsed the local files on steam with no starbound.log.
    the closest thing i could find was 51mb simply called starbound, but as the files uploaded can only be 10mb, i could not send it in. that was what i was trying to say with i think i got it

6. Iris Blanche

can you upload it elsewhere? e.g. google drive, dropbox etc

7. cardboard7

8. Iris Blanche

please make the file accessible.

9. cardboard7

10. Iris Blanche

The path to your starbound install isnt helping me. I need the log from the storage folder.

11. cardboard7

and yet after multiple times asking, i get no answer on how the get to the storage folder, or at least where its located.
    sorry if i seem a little rude, im just having a bad day

12. Iris Blanche

You already provided me the path to your starbound install where the storage folder should be located. If it doesnt appear there then you are most likely missing some needed libraries. If thats the case launch starbound directly via console. There should be some output then why it doesnt work.

13. cardboard7

i dont know what the console is, like, opening starbound through the files? i tried and nothing happened, and yes there is no storage folder in there. i guess ill search youtube for what the console is

edit: got no answers. do you mean the terminal? the thing to put commands in?

edit 2: that was a little vague, but even then i wouldn't know what commands to put in, *angrily glares at youtube* thanks a lot >:l

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  14. Iris Blanche

Open your file browser and go to "/home/jon/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Starbound" according to your provided path.
    if you can see a storage folder there then provide the file starbound.log here.
    The file you originally wanted to upload was the executable itself.

If there is no storage folder then go to "/home/jon/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Starbound/linux" and open the terminal in this path.
    Then type in
    Code:
    ./starbound
    and confirm with enter.
    If the game doesnt run then you will see some output in the terminal window. Make a screenshot of the contents of only the terminal window and provide it here.

edit:
    also be patient for a reply. I am not checking here every second for a new post.

15. cardboard7

16. Iris Blanche

you clearly did not open it in that path. You can access it by typing
    Code:
    cd /home/jon/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Starbound/linux
    when opening the terminal not in that path.

17. cardboard7

i dont think i get the whole "path thing" what i did the first time is went to
    /home/jon/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Starbound/linux in my file system, then opened terminal and typed the code, and obviously i did something wrong, so i kinda need to know how the "path" thing works

18. Iris Blanche

Just follow the step i mentioned in my previous post. :nuruhappy:

19. cardboard7

that was kinda the problem, i don't get what you mean by "open the terminal in this path" i opened my bash terminal, and typed the command with the files open in the background, is there a steam terminal i should be using?

20. Iris Blanche

use the normal terminal, navigate to the path with the cd command and then launch starbound by typing "./starbound"