1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

I can't even get it to load (Mac OSX High Sierra)

Discussion in 'Mac / Linux Bug Reports' started by snarkynerdette, May 1, 2018.

1. snarkynerdette

snarkynerdette Poptop Tamer

Hi there, I just downloaded this game through Steam and I need a little help.

Every time I click to run it, it loads the SV icon on my dock, the mouse spins, and the window opens to a black screen. It then promptly shuts down.

Things I have tried:
    -Uninstalling/reinstalling Steam and Stardew Valley
    -Unselecting Enable Steam Overlay
    -Giving myself permission through terminal through username:staff ~/.config/StardewValley
    It told me no such folder exists.

When I went looking for Stardew, just the application, I found the folder in my steam library, and this is what I found.
    [​IMG]
    Now. Call me crazy but ... shouldn't SV have an APP in the folder, much like Don't Starve and ONI? I know enough to know that Contents and subsequently that MacOS and Resources are things that you find when you right click on an app and select "Show Package Contents." You just don't find them out in the open like that without "opening" an app to show whats inside it.

Note: I even tried to put "Contents" into a folder, name it Stardew Valley and add an ".app" prefix, to make it into said app. Same result.

So here's my question: What exactly do I need to do to make this game run? I've heard nothing but super amazing things and I've just spent a little of my cash extra to experience it.

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

The "MacOS" folder under "Contents" has the Mac binary you can run. Either run the "StardewValley" script, or directly run "StardewValley.bin.osx".
      If it still gives you issues; see if it's generating any error logs. Try here "~/StardewValley", or "~/.config/StardewValley"

It's interesting you get the "no such folder exists" on the command, but lets run through the basics first.

• snarkynerdette

Alright so, putting both ""StardewValley" and "StardewValley.bin.osx" into Terminal gave me the same error in each:

"Access to the path "/Users/(me)/.config/StardewValley" is denied."

Again, I do a CMND Shift G Search for the /Users/(me)/.config/StardewValley, and it says "The folder can't be found."

Same search, nix the StardewValley part and I wind up in an empty .config folder. Looking at "Get Info" it says I have Read & Write permissions, so I don't know if "chown"-ing the thing would make it work. It just looks like the StardewValley folder is gone, and I haven't moved any files around, so where it could have been put instead is beyond me.

Any ideas?

• MysticTempest

Hrm, yea that's pretty odd.

Go ahead, and retry the ownership command in the terminal; substituting your username.
          Code:
          sudo chown username:staff ~/.config

Then; since the folder can't be found. Type in the following.
          Code:
          mkdir -p ~/.config/StardewValley

That'll create the directory manually, and fix the permission issue if you have any. Then try relaunching the game, and see if it generates any new messages, or runs.

• snarkynerdette

[​IMG]

SUCCESS!!

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for your help with this. I have no idea what my MacBook did, or why it did it, but it's running, and that's all that matters.

Thank you again, I can't wait to try this out!!

MysticTempest likes this.
            • MysticTempest

No prob! Glad you got it working! ^-^