1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Hunger & Thirst 1.5

Adds hunger and thirst mechanics

1. Image Not Available

Image Not Available Pangalactic Porcupine

Image Not Available submitted a new mod:

Hunger & Thirst - Adds hunger and thirst mechanics

Read more about this mod...

2. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

Nice to see hunger coming back. I'll give this one a shot and see how it feels. I was thinking that it would be neat if there was some positive effects to starving, like a desperation condition where you get buffed out as you face your demise. A sanity system similarly would be neat as well. Can't wait to see a good heat system come back most of all. We just really need a lot more systems in general. :rofl:

I'll give it a rate after I've played with it a bit. Are you thinking about doing any more work on this project, or is this the finished product?

LOL BALL likes this.
  3. Image Not Available

I was thinking maybe some balance changes. Like make higher tier foods give more satiation, thereby introducing a decision between having low grade food buffs all the time or high grade buffs some of the time but I'm not really certain where to go with that, hence the call for player feedback. Beyond that I don't really see much need to add anything. I mean there is already a benefit to starving as you can eat 2-3 food items all at once and get the buffs from all of them and I don't think psychological conditions like sanity are within the scope of a hunger mod.

4. greenRAM

Tested it out and here's my first impressions:

After starvation set in and I began taking damage I ate, however the damage didn't stop and my tester-character died. I'll remove my other mods and see if that bug persists.

I don't like how my character isn't allowed to eat or drink until its satiation meter runs out. It would be nice to be able to decide for myself a balance for my consumption of resources and not have the system force it's own pace on me. That is, when I have plentiful stocks of food I'd like to keep my meter up, while when I'm running out I'd then want to only eat when I'm nearing starvation levels. You might thing that letting players eat and drink whenever might lead to abusing the buff effects, however more likely it will just make food buffs matter a little more than they do now.

Overall, I'm happy that hunger is back and improved.

Edit: bug went away after playing it with no other mods. Hard to say what was causing the problem.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  5. locky333

locky333 Aquatic Astronaut

Welp, mod has an incompatibility with frackin universe or clef (whichever one modifies the matter manipulator, or both if the problem is mods adding custom liquids).
    Can't pick any liquids with this mod installed (and can't really manually disable the "lvl 1 manipulator can pick liquids" since it's a .modpak).
    Rest seems to work fine. Keep up the good work.

6. Image Not Available

This seems strange. My only change to the matter manipulator was make the SAIL command that unlocks the manipulator also unlock the liquid collection upgrade, it shouldn't be influenced by custom liquids. Did your character unlock the matter manipulator/liquid collection before installing this mod? The only real incompatibilities should arise from mods that either mess with existing foods' status effects or mods that add completely new food, since those wouldn't provide a proper increase to the hunger and thirst bar.

PS You can edit modpacks too, just unpack them like the game's main archive.

7. Image Not Available

8. MrChow

MrChow Pangalactic Porcupine

Just tested it with CLeF. Aside the lack of status effects for my custom food (since I've never added wellfed effect for them anyway, they act like healing items), there are no overlaps nor incompatibility. Hence, added to "Recommended mods" section. :)

A little suggestion, though: there are already several mods (Temperature Returns included), which add slowdown penalty to the player, and bringing yet another slowdown factor into the mix will only make things worse (and unplayable). So, I suggest to remove the slowdown penalty entirely.

9. LOL BALL

LOL BALL Existential Complex

This is much better than the original.

10. xRuneXero

xRuneXero Void-Bound Voyager

Would it be possible to make it so when you're in bed or sitting, the hunger/thirst doesn't go down? Would be great for a quick afk.

EDIT: I used the /admin command and now it gives me the status that I can't eat or drink forever, it doesn't go away. I don't have a save backup either D:

Tried restarting the game, dying, taking off admin, nothing works.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  11. Image Not Available

Image Not Available updated Hunger & Thirst with a new update entry:

Bugfixes

Read the rest of this update entry...[DOUBLEPOST=1433247091][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The movement penalty is actually intended to be more informative than punitive. I found it pretty easy to not notice the status icons and so I implemented something the player would notice immediately. After playing a bit with it I think I might remove the penalty entirely though.

Whenever you die or enable /admin your meters max out. You need to wait several minutes for them to go below the well fed threshold.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    MrChow likes this.
  12. xRuneXero

xRuneXero Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for the update! And you're right, had to wait a bit longer than normal. I just noticed something, having the mod enabled pretty much takes fall damage away (mostly), taking the mod off or running with no mods makes it return to normal. I tested it with only your mod enabled and the same issue occurred.

13. Image Not Available

14. Retr0

Retr0 Pangalactic Porcupine

Pictures?

15. greenRAM

Seems Rikharthu's Bigger Stomach mod is incomparable with this.

My second impression, after playing with this mod is that all of my initial gripes went away as I got used to the pace of hunger. I ended up satiating myself before going on a long expedition, then rationing my food and water as I went through my venture. I kept thinking about what type of food I should bring next time to improve my buffs. It's the first time in Starbound that I was motivated to cook complex meals. After I was done I set up a small garden to prep some ingredients.

So far it's great. You've created something really special. I kind of agree with the slowdown effect being a little annoying, however I'm not sure if there's an alternative warning that is less annoying.

16. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

One option to show hunger is to Summon a Particle above the persons head showing a hungry Icon.

17. draco1122

draco1122 Big Damn Hero

For my personal use I would like to make then take longer to trigger. How would I do that? I understand how to mod and edit things just need to know value to change.

18. Image Not Available

player.config.patch: change rateHunger and rateThirst from -1 to something larger. E.g. setting it to -0.5 should halve the rate of decay.

19. draco1122

draco1122 Big Damn Hero

20. greenRAM

Some of the produse doesn't work, like Green Apples. Ran it through a patch tester and it seems the patches are failing. http://helmet.kafuka.org/sbmods/json/

Possibly, some of the produce that aren't used in the vanilla game, but picked up in other mods has a slightly different design?