1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Huge plot hole or secret!!!!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Starfan87, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Starfan87

Starfan87 Void-Bound Voyager

I know i am going to blow this out of proportion. I have bought starbound from steam since the beggining. And i have played starbound since koala. I have always loved the original and new storyline. But something arose, the protectorate in the new storyline being destroyed, was considered that YOU were the last one.(apart from ester) All of the protectorate was destroyed. But there is a huge plot hole. Think of it like star trek. (Trust me we have all seen it) the federacion is spread throught many planets including earth. Why wouldnt the protectorate? We haveallseen many miniknog,avian and glitch camps. Maybe the protectorate doesnt want to show themselves. Or maybe it is a huge plot hole. Anyone haveanysuggestions of what happened to the protectorate?

Iris Blanche likes this.
  2. Momopovich

Momopovich Pangalactic Porcupine

the "story" of this game is extremely shallow and elusive ("kill the evil and save the universe"), I believe it is intentional so people have more freedom to build and invent their own stories in a more "sandboxy" way. You can imagine the protectorate is an ancient organization that is not as active and spread as it was ages ago (hence the abandoned protectorate bases you can encounter), therefore it makes sense that most of it is destroyed when the ruin appears during the ceremony.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  3. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's entirely possible the Protectorate is a local organization of smallish scale. Teleporters can allow members to stay linked to a single home base even while exploring the universe.

It seems to be human centric, with many species represented but all the top brass being human, and it's revealed in the story that it was started by humans. So maybe it's less like the Federation and more like the Green Lantern Corps.

4. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

To use your federation example. The Federation's full title is: "The United Federation of Planets." People often confuse the Federation with StarFleet, but in truth, StarFleet predates the Federation. While the Federation is a multi-cultural organization that has many bases accross the Alpha Quadrant, StarFleet itself is centered around Earth. Before its full integration as the Federation Military(ish), it was known as United Earth StarFleet. I would consider the Protectorate more in line with this earlier version of StarFleet, still largely accepting of other species but mostly centered around Earth and Humanity. Losing Earth would have been a catastrophic blow to this organization as it was home to its entire command structure and shipyards.

Anyway, that is just my perspective.

Source for further reading: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Starfleet

5. Starfan87

Starfan87 Void-Bound Voyager

I knew everyone here saw star trek at one point! Thanks for the answers,good day.