1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Huge difference between classes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WackyWocky, May 24, 2013.

1. WackyWocky

WackyWocky Pangalactic Porcupine

Sadly, I've only acquired, but am simply waiting for the ability to purchase the beta. I have the cash, but there seems to be no way to buy the game at the moment. Nonetheless, I'm very much enjoying the free version. Although, I seem to be unable get as far with the Miner as with the Commando. Not even a fraction as far. Just surviving the first level is unbelievably more hard with Miner than with Commando.

So my question is, is there an obvious unbalanceness between the two, or am I just lacking a tactic with the Miner?

The main problem is that his HP is far to low compared to how "personal" you have to be with enemies. Also, the lack of ranged attacks is horrible. You have to travel far, and use ages, just to take out that one lonely lizard on a platform. With Commando it's far simpler, thus saving you that valuable 1-2 min.

Anyways, *rant rant*, *complain complain* aside, this game is amazing and credits to the creator for making it so smooth and precise.

• Cyriel

Cyriel Pangalactic Porcupine

The miner is more of a hit n run character compared to the commando, due to the lack of ranged advantage. Overall, the miner will perform better with lots of practice, but commando favors "getting a feel"

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

I'm better as the Miner, so I may be able to help. You sound like you are trying to play as the Miner as if he was HAN-D. The Miner is a touch-'em-real-quick-and-go class. You do not have to get super close to monsters to deal damage, 2 and 3 make you immune for the duration of their effect, and 4 is ranged. I almost never use the Miner's 1, as it's only useful if the monster is stunned. They play very differently.

WackyWocky likes this.
        • WackyWocky

That's actually very helpful. I'll try some more hit-n-run tactics and see how I do. :whistle:

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There's no tragic disbalance. One char needs more proficient skill to succeed than another, that's all.

• Gimmesoup

Gimmesoup Void-Bound Voyager

You may also want to try being more conservative with x,c, and v - balancing them out so that you take little damage. You shouldn't be running away too much, as c stuns mobs. This is your chance to get in a few hits from your z skill! As soon as they're unstunned, get immunity with x or v, z maybe once or twice depending on the density of the mob of mobs, and repeat until you're slightly weak. (THEN you can run for fear of death) Opening with x, c, or v is also great.

• WackyWocky

Ah, that sounds good. I'm so looking forward to being able to pay for the Beta. I missed it by a few days sadly.
                Anyways, hopefully I can pull those tactics off. Guess hoarding some LeechSeeds won't harm either, and a clock.