Notice HOWTO: Keybinding

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by OmnipotentEntity, Feb 18, 2014.

1. C0mbatW0mble

C0mbatW0mble Tentacle Wrangler

Actually, Pontiac, if "I" recall then Beta is supposed to be the pre gold test code, subject to changes yes, but including most (if not all) major features. Intended to test the game(engine) prior to "going gold" and being sent to the distributers. So, at best this is alpha, now it doesn't sound like a lot but to older gamers there's a gulf between the two descriptions.

I also understand that concepts like beta/alpha might just be obsolete in todays digital, high bandwidth, crowdsorced age but what ever the case this game is certainly NOT a beta.

zugz likes this.
  2. Pontiac

Pontiac Subatomic Cosmonaut

You've not been reading the news then, because the game engine is what makes the game work. The rules, the layout, the methodology of how the game is going to be changed and panned out over the next few months. The game is still under scrutiny by the developers, and the designers, and is no where complete. This beta version we're playing right now is still heavy classified as a WIP. The engine to make things work may be nearing its completion, but what the final road map of this game is what MAKES this a beta.

Anyways, this internet-fight is off topic for the thread. I'm out.

3. JNFischer30

JNFischer30 Big Damn Hero

You really took that personally. Are you working on the game or just looking for something to be mad about? Yelling at me and all.

I am aware of what BETA means and that there are bugs and incomplete concepts and gameplay elements with prereleased games. This is not a bug or a new idea, however. This is just something that hasn't been done and it's available on nearly every PC game by default. It's important because different people have different play styles and not everyone is right handed. This is an issue that should have been addressed months ago.

If you are going to charge people for a game, you should have basic options like that in place already.

4. Drybonz

Drybonz Subatomic Cosmonaut

Why are there only 3 tech action commands when there are 4 tech slots? If I add in a "playertechaction4" the game won't accept it and switches to the default .config.

5. Drybonz

Any advice on how to switch tech slots with the new keybinding is appreciated. Thanks.

6. Pyrobolser

Pyrobolser Orbital Explorer

Hi guys,

Thanks for this tutorial, it was really useful for me in order to make the Starbound Keybinder possible :up:

I hope this will help some of you :)

DukeSkath likes this.
  7. monsto

monsto Subatomic Cosmonaut

I take it you can't bind mousebuttons yet?

If I have
    Code:
          "F" : [ "PlayerTechAction1" ],
          "F" : [ "InterfaceHideHud" ],

This will barf? it won't simply overwrite the previously defined key with the new data?

Also, will it barf on additional line breaks or on out-of-order keys? I put all the keys that I change together in one area, then separate them from the others with an extra line break. will either of these conditions cause a problem?

8. Pyrobolser

To achieve what you are talking about you must write

Code:
    "F" : [ "PlayerTechAction1",  "InterfaceHideHud" ],
    The order is not a problem :) but I'm not sure about the "extra line break" you should backup your file and give it a try.

If you want you can try the Starbound Keybinder to handle all these problems for you :up:

Drybonz likes this.
  9. Optimal

Optimal Void-Bound Voyager

This is a great guide. Didn't know you could do it, but when I read the thread name, I knew what to do.... Thanks! :)

10. Drybonz

I tried your keybinder program. It's very convenient... thank you for putting that together.

I guess I don't understand the PlayerTechAction commands. What I am trying to do is set up keys to quickly switch between my techs 1-4. I was unable to get it to work with the config, and it also doesn't work for me with the keybinder program. Am I missing something... or maybe these commands work differently than I think they should?

11. Pyrobolser

I don't think there is a way to switch between techs for the moment, the TechAction refers to which key you need to press to activate that tech in that slot, but you need to select it in your inventory before.

Not sure, but this is my guess about this. o_O

12. jude24to25

jude24to25 Void-Bound Voyager

@OmnipotentEntity - Thank you very much for posting this information! :-D I was wondering: Is it possible to bind two simultaneous actions to a particular key? My goal is to be able to press a button which proceeds to equip two one-handed items all at the same time. For example, I would like to be able to equip both a one-handed sword and a shield at the same time with the pressing of one key. As it stands, I have to press one button and then right click the second item, which is not too helpful for a sudden battle. I apologize if this question was covered already... after reading through the thread, I couldn't really pick it up.

Again, thank you so much for the post and for all your hard work on the game!!

13. Pyrobolser

You totally can achieve that, see my post a little below, you just have to put more than one action in the brackets. On the paper, it is possible, but I haven't really tested it yet in game.

Hope this may help you !

14. jude24to25

jude24to25 Void-Bound Voyager

Actually, I tried this style:
    "F" : [ "PlayerTechAction1", "InterfaceHideHud" ],

But unfortunately, it didn't work when it came to doing both the selection of interfacebar1 and interfacebar2 at the same time. Turns out it performs them in sequence, meaning the first one gets undone as a result of the second one

15. Pinktail

Pinktail Space Hobo

Hy all!

French Mac user here. I'm having some trouble binding the interface bar.
    As some other french guy explained, our keyboards go " &é"''(§è!çà " instead of " 1234567890 ".

I did manage to change the move left command to Q instead of A, and to stop throwing my stuff all over the place xD

But here i tried several things that didn't work:
    - Can't find Autohotkey or equivalent (free) for Mac
    - Tried several codes for the keys, never worked (game doesn't launch)

Did anyone have the same issue and found a solution?
    Did the coders include some sort of international code that i could enter and that would work on my laptop (azerty Mac, French)?

Thanks a bunch!

PS: Great game, keep up the good work ;)

16. Jafner425

Jafner425 Void-Bound Voyager

Would you mind if I made a pre-bound template for the numpad using this? I think that it would be nice to have a default "lefty" version easily accessible for those who don't want to meddle with retyping config files. Advice is welcome, and thank you in advance!

17. squirrel_killer-

squirrel_killer- Sandwich Man

I am just hoping for controller support at some point. Sadly controller binding is not yet doable with this system, but we are closer than we were, just need a binding for ship warp. :confused:

18. Stg

Stg Title Not Found

This is useful and all, but I'm very confused as to why a simple keybind option still isn't in the settings. Instead, we have to start modifying configuration files ourselves. No offense, but that just seems really lazy.

19. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Can we take these instructions to mean that there will be more cinematics than the intro?

20. Cost

Cost Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hello guys. So I rebound some keys I wanted (arrow keys for directions and PageDown instead of N for inspect, etc) but now I got a big issue: when I wanna chat I can't use N anymore and the S reset my line all the time BUT I tried these keys in the Character Creator where you type your name and I can use them without problems so I'm kinda lost. Anyone got any idea or has the same problem? Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014