Notice HOWTO: Keybinding

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by OmnipotentEntity, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Sir_MikhailW

Sir_MikhailW Orbital Explorer

After changing the config and launching the game, my controls didn't work, and going back to see if i missed anything, it made a FAIL file, so im going on the hunch that something broke, even tho i followed the directions. as a left handed gamer, it kills me that i can't play this game :c

2. satoru

satoru Tentacle Wrangler

Yeah I tried # ; and a few other conventions as well but it just errors out

3. satoru

satoru Tentacle Wrangler

If it creates a fail file it means you didn't edit the file correctly and the parser failed. You should go back and look at your edit and be 100% you're doing it correctly. The parser does not like any errors.

You may want to edit one line at a time in the beginning until you understand how the formatting works

4. Sir_MikhailW

Sir_MikhailW Orbital Explorer

deleted the first one and got a fresh config, swapped Wasd for Arrow Keys and still getting the fail file. :( just saddens me that they still haven't put a In-game option yet. i'v had it for a while now and im just unable to play it :c

5. kurtramone

kurtramone Void-Bound Voyager

Finally! Thank you!

I'll test it when got home.

Arrow keys: here we go!

6. klownk

klownk Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ok, you made a step forward in key binding, even if I find that laborious for just a simple video game feature which has 30 years old but anyway, you put a config file but the keyboard configuration is still in QWERTY... Please be aware that you have a lot of foreigners with different configuration. Right now, we have to guess which key replace "A" and "Q" (ok this is easy but if we want to choose some "%" keys it will be more tedious.
    Thank you.

7. Kira7

Kira7 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Holy shiet it's happening!! Time for me to play through the game.

Btw i tried to save my config file but it only applied the keybindings after i changed them with notepad. The other programs had better formating but if i started the game, the config file would just go back to default.

At least it works now :D

8. ShellKeeper

ShellKeeper Void-Bound Voyager

And how about use the mouse middle button to change the tool in the tool bar .

9. Radiated Ronin

Radiated Ronin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Considering how often this feature was requested, it pains me to see even more complaints about it.

Chucklefish, thank you. This game is neat. Sorry people don't understand why a beta isn't a finished product, and don't remember the days when this was not even an option. How many people played the beta for their favorite arcade game back in the day? No one! But we as a community get a chance to shape a cool little game to what we want, and people STILL complain. People, this game is not FINISHED yet!

That being said, I am not against criticism, but let's keep it constructive. When I worked as a customer service rep for a cable company, the person calling in to say "it's not working" was annoying and made for frustration for both parties. The customer that said "it doesn't work WHEN I do THIS. ..." received a much better solution.

I guess what I am saying to the community is: Help the devs help you. Don't waste everyone's time with a "this stinks " post, and then wonder why nothing is being fixed.

End of Rant

Chucklefish, again I thank you. This is one of the best 15 dollars I have spent , racking up 100+ hours exploring SPAAAAAACE!

10. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Actually only the few people or organization that was working on the games back then were playing the beta, but it was more of a game test back then. I am sure some did play here and there throughout the process; otherwise there would be no games even back then. Someone has to play in order to develop...

As for what was added as a basic configure to bindings; that I appreciate, even if a few of the keys & commands are a bit confusing. At least it is good that we have something. :D
    now to wait until there is mouse bindings added, especially for those with more than a 2-3 button mouse. :)

11. Cymra

Cymra Space Hobo

Lefites! This is how you rebind your keys for the arrow keys instead of using the WASD keys (just copy and paste it over the top of your config file, it's working on my other monitor right now but if you do get an error just delete the file and it will replace it after you relaunch the game):

{
    "allowAdminCommands" : true,
    "allowAdminCommandsFromAnyone" : true,
    "attemptAuthentication" : false,
    "audioChannelSeparation" : [ -25, 25 ],
    "audioChannels" : 2,
    "authHostname" : "auth.playstarbound.com",
    "authPort" : 21027,
    "bcryptRounds" : 5000,
    "bind" : "*",
    "checkAssetsDigest" : false,
    "claimFile" : "indev.claim",
    "clearPlayerFiles" : false,
    "clearUniverseFiles" : false,
    "controlPort" : 21026,
    "crafting.filterHaveMaterials" : false,
    "defaultWorldCoordinate" : "alpha:-84936662:-62554636:-13754701:6:12",
    "fullscreen" : false,
    "fullscreenResolution" : [ 1920, 1080 ],
    "gamePort" : 21025,
    "keyBindings" : {
    "Left" : [ "PlayerLeft", "CockpitLeft" ],
    "Backquote" : [ "InterfaceBarNPos" ],
    "C" : [ "InterfaceCrafting" ],
    "Right" : [ "PlayerRight", "CockpitRight" ],
    "Down" : [ "PlayerDown", "CockpitDown" ],
    "E" : [ "PlayerInteract", "GuiClose" ],
    "Eight" : [ "InterfaceBar8" ],
    "Escape" : [ "TitleBack", "CinematicSkip", "InterfaceEscapeMenu", "GuiClose", "ChatStop" ],
    "F" : [ "PlayerTechAction1" ],
    "F1" : [ "InterfaceHideHud" ],
    "F11" : [ "InterfaceToggleFullscreen" ],
    "F6" : [ "InterfaceStreaming" ],
    "Five" : [ "InterfaceBar5" ],
    "Four" : [ "InterfaceBar4" ],
    "G" : [ "PlayerTechAction2" ],
    "H" : [ "PlayerTechAction3" ],
    "I" : [ "InterfaceInventory" ],
    "J" : [ "InterfaceQuest" ],
    "L" : [ "InterfaceCodex" ],
    "LAlt" : [ "ShowLabels" ],
    "LCtrl" : [ "CameraShift" ],
    "LShift" : [ "PlayerShifting", "GuiShifting" ],
    "A" : [ "EmoteNeutral", "CockpitLeft" ],
    "Minus" : [ "InterfaceBarNPos" ],
    "N" : [ "InterfaceInspectCursor" ],
    "Nine" : [ "InterfaceBar9" ],
    "One" : [ "InterfaceBar1" ],
    "PageDown" : [ "ChatPageDown" ],
    "PageUp" : [ "ChatPageUp" ],
    "Q" : [ "PlayerDropItem" ],
    "RAlt" : [ "ShowLabels" ],
    "RCtrl" : [ "CameraShift" ],
    "RShift" : [ "PlayerShifting", "GuiShifting" ],
    "Return" : [ "CinematicNext", "ChatSendLine", "ChatBegin" ],
    "D" : [ "EmoteAnnoyed", "CockpitRight", "CinematicNext" ],
    "S" : [ "EmoteSad", "CockpitDown", "ChatNextLine" ],
    "Seven" : [ "InterfaceBar7" ],
    "Six" : [ "InterfaceBar6" ],
    "Slash" : [ "ChatBeginCommand" ],
    "Space" : [ "PlayerJump" ],
    "Three" : [ "InterfaceBar3" ],
    "Two" : [ "InterfaceBar2" ],
    "W" : [ "EmoteHappy", "CockpitUp", "ChatPreviousLine" ],
    "Up" : [ "PlayerUp", "CockpitUp" ],
    "X" : [ "InterfaceDeselectHands" ],
    "Y" : [ "InterfaceRepeatCommand" ],
    "Z" : [ "InterfaceSwapHands" ],
    "Zero" : [ "InterfaceBar0" ]
    },
    "maxFrameskip" : 10,
    "maxPlayers" : 8,
    "maximized" : true,
    "maximizedResolution" : [ 1360, 706 ],
    "musicVol" : 100,
    "passwordHash" : "",
    "pixelRatioIdx" : 3,
    "renderPreSleepRemainder" : 4,
    "renderPriority" : true,
    "renderSleep" : true,
    "rootKey" : "MIICCgKCAgEAuuxHOxa47eCix12TeI1KiDuSvu6Yculxl3yOz:rofl: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",
    "sampleRate" : 44100,
    "serverName" : "A Starbound Server",
    "serverPasswords" : [ "", "duckies", "swordfish" ],
    "sfxVol" : 100,
    "speechBubbles" : true,
    "tileDamageLimit" : 49,
    "title.connectionString" : "",
    "upnpPortForwarding" : true,
    "useDefaultWorldCoordinate" : false,
    "username" : "",
    "vsync" : true,
    "waitForUpdate" : true,
    "windowTitle" : "Starbound - Beta",
    "windowedResolution" : [ 1000, 600 ],
    "zoomLevel" : 3
    }

12. Radiated Ronin

Radiated Ronin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

True, but before the interwebs, if you wanted to play test a game, and didn't work for the company, it wasn't going to happen. Developers received feedback after the gold release, and couldn't do anything to fix the game at that point. This is how we got the classic garbage called ET the Extra Terrestrial.

Now we get to look behind the curtain, and some folks don't like what they see. Making games is hard. Making GOOD games is harder. The process is grueling with a lot of trial and error. I appreciate being part of the beta, now I feel like this game has a small piece of me in it. I could potentially point out a feature and say "that was me."

Granted, I paid to be here, but I have paid far more for far less experience for "finished" product that frankly stunk. Assassin's Creed 3, I'm looking at you....

13. Drybonz

Drybonz Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't see a command to switch directly to the left or right hand (so that you don't have to select the hand, then switch hands). Is there a way to do it? If not, we definitely need this command, please. ex. "InterfaceBarL" and "InterfaceBarR". Thank you.

14. Zerikin

Zerikin Aquatic Astronaut

Great to finally have this.

15. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Don't know that et game... Back then though it was taking a gamble more. some games were good and some bad; just like today. I mean even some pc games that still have bugs in them still don't get repaired to this day... or didn't even back then.. the expansion to spore is good example of that. I never got that thing to work. Yes I like that game for what it is. Of course I like a lot of games that some wouldn't be kind on. But that is the way of the world with different tastes all around.

Never played the AC game series much, the only one I was to have glimpse of is the one that was free on xbox...><

So it basically the same as it was back then, but now done in a different way. o_O Well the way I see it anyway. You still get good and bad, as that is granted for everyone; it is just what is good and bad is... subjective? I guess that is the word. Don't really know as I don't use that one often enough. Anyway I'll just cut myself off before getting way off topic...><

16. SpaceGorrila6969

SpaceGorrila6969 Big Damn Hero

Still no bindings for grappling hooks so i can't swap my "w" and my spacebar yet. I hate having to press space to jump in a 2d game when that "w" key is sitting there, easier to press but unused for anything but contracting a grappling hook.

17. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Sure it might be used for ladders later on. Well I think it would, as that would be feasible, since the content for ladders are in game, but not quite the function far as I know. hmm...

18. doubtful

doubtful Void-Bound Voyager

FYI my sister used Wordpad to edit this text file and it DID NOT work for her. It was using a different style of line ending/return character by default. This is on Windows 7 64-bit. I know what she did and she did everything correct, but the program just doesn't work for some people, fyi!

Using Notepad++ worked perfectly for her (and me). FYI, anyone having trouble with this, try Notepad++ or another editor like that, maybe.

Thanks to Omni for this post and to everyone involved in setting up the config file for us! We /greatly/ appreciate it!

19. Nemo157

Nemo157 Void-Bound Voyager

LeftParen/RightParen & LeftBracket/RightBracket, but no LeftBrace/RightBrace (0x7B/0x7D)?

20. sadflapjack

sadflapjack Space Hobo

@OmnipotentEntity do we need to worry when editing this file about mixing uinx and windows-style line endings?