How would you approach someone shy ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moon Child, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Moon Child

Moon Child Poptop Tamer

So, here's the story.
    At the beginning of the semester, at university, when me and a guy entered our first class, we both looked at each other in awe (or at least, that's what it looked like to me). But that was it. A few weeks later though, I've noticed how he started looking more and more at me. And then lately, I noticed how he would blatantly stare when we're sitting far away from each others, in lecture halls, his face turning completely towards me very often, in no subtle way. Until then, he had done that a few times in smaller classes too, but this week he wouldn't stare directly or look at me from the corner of his eyes when we're sitting close - which I think is a good sign, proving that he might be more and more interested, especially since he's been looking a lot more in the lecture halls. It also seems like we're leaving classrooms and walking near each other to the subway station, without me even trying for, which leads me to think that he might be the one trying to adjust his timing to mine.

Anyway, yesterday I tried to check if I was right and took my time packing my stuff after one of our common class, so I could let him leave early. I was walking quite behind and, to my great pleasure, caught him checking twice behind him, which I hope was to see if I was following, or how near/far I was behind. He also seemed to have slow down his pace and he even hold the door open for me a few secs, even though I wasn't directly behind him. We were both alone and for once did not have his earbuds on, so I thought it might be a good opportunity to try talking to him. I made a small smile and said 'Thanks', but then he turned away right after and dashed off, walking very fast. This makes me think that either he thought that it was awkward, either he just became suddenly very shy because I was close and ran away (there used to be a guy that would make me react the same way. Whenever he was near, I couldn't speak nor breathe, and just HAD to get away). So, I'm still not 100% sure he's interested, but he definitely had noticed me and I do find him very cute.

How to approach him without scaring him, assuming he's a bit shy ? He doesn't look very shy, but the way he reacted yesterday had me thinking that, in the end, he might be. So far, I've been trying to be subtle when looking at him and mainly did it from the corner of my eyes, not in the same blatant way that he does. We've caught each others staring with side glances a few times in our smaller courses, so I'd assume he kinda knows I've noticed him too. But would it be better to just try to stare more blatantly as well to let him know that I do find him cute or would it scares him more ? Should I smile directly to him or would it make him uncomfortable ? Next time I catch him staring, should I just turn away and smile to myself, to hint him ?

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Have you tried striking up conversation over something general, and then guiding conversation to somewhere a bit more personal? Maybe start with an assignment, then ask him why he's interested in taking the course.

Now, I haven't got a romantic bone in my body, so take it from my experience; don't go from 0 to 100 too fast. Actually become friends before you so much as consider anything more, especially since it sounds like this guy's not the most outgoing. Just because you feel one way about someone doesn't mean they share it, or have any obligation to. But there's nothing stopping you from being friends.

3. AngleWyrm

AngleWyrm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"What do you like to talk about?"