Modding Help How Uninstall-Friendly Are Universe Flags?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SpazDiesFirst360.0, Apr 19, 2020.

1. SpazDiesFirst360.0

SpazDiesFirst360.0 Phantasmal Quasar

I want to minimize the damage a mod I'm working on will cause when uninstalled. However, since it contains missions, I'm wondering if using universe flags with a instance world is the better option compared to mission access via SAIL. So, which is the better option? I have a feeling players would need to modify some files in their storage folder if I use universe flags, but I don't know enough to make an educated decision.

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I haven't played with universe flags, so i can't say for sure. Just make a new character and test it. Now an option for access to missions in an interface is a custom teleporter. All it really needs is to point to a teleport interface (they're very basic since hard-coded) that points to the instanceworld. For example look at the teleporters that warp you back to the outpost (itself a dungeon in an instanceworld).

edit:
    For testing purposes/mod development environment, I'd recommend to make a copy of the starbound folder and mess around with the copy. For this case, you can set your flag, then remove the mod and see what happens.

3. SpazDiesFirst360.0

SpazDiesFirst360.0 Phantasmal Quasar

My plan with the universe flags was to add custom teleporters to the instance world, but I'll certainly have to try that.

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Universe flags are permanent changes to Character save.
    So you would need a script to revert them - which can break quests.

If you are using custom flags - there isn't much issue
    If you are editing Vanilla flags like my mod Optional Story - the changes are permanent even on uninstalling.

Keep in mind those flags will be in the save file permanently, it simply won't function.

Some sample Code
    https://github.com/xxswatelitexx/Starbound/tree/master/mad_Exp/universe_flag

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020