Tutorial How to successfully pack and unpack .pak files

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SexualRhinoceros, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Kel^... Run. Go back to the IRC Modding channel and dont look back. Otherwise you will stuck helping these kids for the rest of eternity.

What exactly "didnt work"?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  2. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

3. Darkarbiter

Darkarbiter Void-Bound Voyager

Any way to resolve the "This app cant run on your PC" issue? I've gotten that far then it stops me

4. What OS are you running? Sounds like youre trying to run an .exe on a mac or something.

5. Darkarbiter

Windows 8 sadly

6. That's the same thing I'm running at home, which is giving me no problems. You following the instructions so far?

Sidewinder likes this.
  7. Darkarbiter

To the letter yup, I run it going with the command prompt and then with the bat file and both give me this.

Attached Files:

8. Please tell me you don't have those stupid windows 8 starter OSes, or the RT platform. I have a feeling you have the RT platform which EXTREMELY limits the amount of programs that can run on that thing. Stupid tablet PCs.

9. Darkarbiter

Which is why I say sadly yup, it came with the computer. I tried updating but the stupid store is never up.

10. intervencion

intervencion Existential Complex

Maybe running it on compatibility mode? IDK.

11. Well then that is exactly the problem. Windows 8 RT only runs programs from the Windows store. You likely will never get this to run unless you get the standard Windows 8 on it. However if you have the RT platform, you wont be able to as your hardware wont allow it.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-rt-faq

No. I wish it was that simple.

12. Hooligan

Hooligan Space Spelunker

if your files are in a different location i have listed steps to take to find your games file path below ( please note this is for widows 7 OS)

1. open start menu
    2. in the search text entry box type the following "starbound"
    3. find starbound .log file right click it
    4. click properties
    5. click general tab
    6. under location is your game files location (from here you should be able to find the .pak file in assets)

13. Senpai Deviljo

Senpai Deviljo Cosmic Narwhal

is their some directions for this mod, cause it can be confusing to some people(like me :3) and would like some instruction

14. Darkarbiter

15. RT is the architecture of the processor. It wont tell you if you have RT or not in the computer. You have to know that when you bought the thing. If you have an ARM-based processor, then you have RT.

16. Darkarbiter

I do not have an ARM processor, Intel.

17. Intel is just a company. Doesn't mean squat. Send me a DxDiag log and Ill tell you if you have an ARM-based processor.

18. Darkarbiter

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 1/27/2014, 16:08:47
    Machine name: XXX
    Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Inspiron 5521
    BIOS: A03
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 6014MB RAM
    Page File: 5565MB used, 6592MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode

19. Nice specs.Yeah you don't have an ARM-based processor with that I3. Not exactly sure why you are getting that problem then, mate. Im x64 on an i7 with no problems. Certainly doesn't look like Windows 8 Starter either. I'll see what I can dig up.

20. Sketch2347

Sketch2347 Phantasmal Quasar

So if i was going to unpack, and it did splendidly and say all i wanted to was change the color of a knife. which i have gone and done and saved. how do i make this take effect, would it be possible for you to write another of those beautiful little list of perfect instructions for that too? please.