Tutorial How to successfully pack and unpack .pak files

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SexualRhinoceros, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Actually, it is perfectly healthy. A simple question about why you would want to do that, given that it is far from the most ideal solution when it comes to playing the game, is the simplest thing you could answer. It's not "ridicule" and it is definitely not "off-topic", nor was it "rude" and, quite frankly, that you have taken it as such is a really insulting. In fact, if you would like to talk about off-topic posts, I would remind you that this thread is about unpacking and packing pak/modpack files and not changing how the game is fundamentally loaded, nor is it about how you take a simple question.

But I will help you, all the same, even though you accuse me as such and wrote out a far longer response about how you felt about my post rather than a far shorter post answering it.

In your Starbound folder, there are several folders. In Win32, Win64, osx, Linux32 and Linux64, there is a file called "sbboot.config" and every one of those files has a section labelled "assetSources" when opened in a text document editor like Notepad:

Code:
      "assetSources" : [
        "../assets/packed.pak",
        "../assets/user"
      ],

If you were to redirect the entries listed there, you could theoretically force the game to solely launch from a single folder. This is likely how the game launched way back before the introduction of the very useful packed files format.

For example you could change it to:

Code:
      "assetSources" : [
        "../assets/UnpackedAssets",
        "../assets/user"
      ],

And it should load that folder instead of packed.pak.

If that answered your question, you are welcome. I am sorry that you so strongly feel your motives should not be questioned, but I am still curious as to why you would want to run the game from unpacked assets because there is very little benefit to it at all. This is coming from my over two years playing and modding Starbound and knowing the pain of staring at a loading screen for a long time because of a ton of unpacked assets in my mods folder. But oh well.

2. Brycen

Brycen Phantasmal Quasar

Hi i dont know if this thread was abandoned or not but, how do i use the windows file extractor? Can somebody give me a step by step guide on how to, I'd appreciate it!

3. marceldp

marceldp Void-Bound Voyager

I Tried unpacking, failed, decided to stop, and now starbound quits everytime.

re: ok nevermind i fixed it.

4. logan2252

logan2252 Void-Bound Voyager

ok thanks for explanation now english please

5. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

thread! riiise from the dead~!

..anyway, how do i unpack a .modpak file?

6. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

Same way as a .pak. They're identical except that modpak also contains a pak.modinfo so it becomes a single-file mod.

7. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  8. Dolan

Dolan Pangalactic Porcupine

9. Mackinz

10. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Should I show the batch file I made?

It's stupidly simple.

11. Dolan

I'm really not aware of what's coming up (Haven't played for a while) but could you send a link where changes are explained ?
    So that i could change it in consequence and be ready for the next stable version ;)

12. Mackinz

The only way to really understand is to download Nightly for yourself. However, basically there is no giraffe_storage folder now and things got shifted around.

13. Dolan

Downloaded Starbound_unstable, switched to nightly and then just notice that there is no more girafe_folder or anything similar.
    The "mods" folder is now at the root of the starbound folder.
    To make my ModPackHelper to work, just edit it and change the value of line 14
    Code:
    set starbound_folder=%~dp0..\..\
    To :
    Code:
    set starbound_folder=%~dp0..\
    (Just tell it that now you are one subfolder from root ".." instead of two "..\..").

Edit : I pushed a new version of it (v0.10) on my dropbox storage

To avoid any misunderstood with the current stable version, I'll wait this changes in a stable version to edit my tool homepage.

eksynn and Mackinz like this.
  14. Thedestroyer1717

Thedestroyer1717 Master Chief

when i put everything in it say ((the file path) Is not an interl or externl command :/

15. Dolan

Can you give us more info about your trouble ?
    - What is your Starbound version (Stable, Nightly) ?
    - Are you trying to extract manually or with my tool ?
    - If manually, what command lines have you typed ?
    - If with my tool, which version of it did you used ? Which OS are you using ?

16. Thedestroyer1717

Thedestroyer1717 Master Chief

Didn't see your tool before. . .But it worked :D Ty

Dolan likes this.
  17. quakeman00

quakeman00 Pangalactic Porcupine

manualy : "win32\asset_packer.exe" "HylotlExtraColors" "mods\LUNARPUMPKIN" "HylotlExtraColors.pak"
    didnt work and didnt work with your tool as well, itsay its packed but the mods dont apear

18. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

i wish this worked with the workshop's contents.pak files.. lol

edit: any ideas on how i can unpack those?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  19. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

Copy the pak file into mods folder
    Shift+RightClick your Starbound folder -> Open Command Line here
    Code:
    "win32/asset_unpacker.exe" "mods/contents.pak" "mods/contents/"

eksynn likes this.
  20. not working for me in cheerful giraffe 1.0