1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion How to: Set up a linux server on ubuntu

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by sovredcat, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Soundtoxin

Soundtoxin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nice guide. All I have to add, for both you and people who use this guide, is that you may be interested in using tmux instead of screen. It's made by the BSD guys instead of GNU, bindings are slightly different (probably to be compatible with screen actually), using ctrl-b to execute tmux actions instead of how you'd use ctrl-a to execute a screen action. The big feature of tmux is that you can have several "panes". Basically, split your terminal into a bunch of smaller terminals, and safely detach from it. There was a point in time where I was running 3 or 4 minecraft servers in their own screen sessions, and it was a real bother to monitor them. Now I can do all that sort of stuff at once. The other cool benefit aside from multiplexing is that multiple boxes can attach to the same tmux session and do things in it at the same time. This means if you wanna check on your server from your phone with JuiceSSH or something, you don't come home to a terminal that says your screen session was detached, it's just how you left it. It will abide by a certain machine's sizing so as not to let things go off the screen when the session is viewed in a larger terminal.

Here's a picture of a tmux session I call "vidya". It was "minecraft" until I added the starbound server. I've got a modded minecraft server on the upper right, vanilla on the lower right, and on the left taking up the full height is the starbound server I just set up while loosely following this guide. I had used steamcmd before, but not in a long time.

[​IMG]

2. Dunto

Dunto Guest

I take it you didn't mess with screen very much. You can do all that with screen as well. Read the man page(s) to learn more.

3. Soundtoxin

Soundtoxin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I messed with screen quite a bit. I used it for several months. It doesn't have nearly as many features as tmux. It's less intuitive switching between panes, you cannot get as advanced with the size distribution, and many other features of tmux are absent from screen. Using tmux is just the natural progression. I've read the man page for screen, maybe you should read the man page for tmux.

4. taliosfalcon

taliosfalcon Space Hobo

So, i followed the directions here with ubuntu 16.04 64 bit and I only have a linux starbound folder, with the 32bit executable, no 64 bit executable or linux64 folder, anyone have any suggestions on how to get steamcmd to download the 64 bit?