Modding Help How to release mods in V. Offended Koala

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by tifel100, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifel100

tifel100 Void-Bound Voyager

Copy the items folder, and put it in mod_MyMod, then delete the assets folder. See if that does anything.

2. Marrond

Marrond Space Hobo

Upgraded my original post so it's more clean to read. As for your suggestion - didn't change anything. darkwoodstick.item and darkwoodstick.png are preventing game from loading and I can't understand why it's happening. When I cut and paste everything from assets into main folder it still works but no change for darkwoodstick.

edit:
    Ok I've got it to working - it seems like old recipe file was causing problem (containted in original assets) for whatever reason. Anyway now I have another question. Is it possible to learn blueprint on pickup of material? Namely I want sticks to become available to craft once I craft planks out of unrefined wood.

3. Spammerman

Spammerman Aquatic Astronaut

Ok, I think I finally god mods to load, after much stumbling, and finally getting the idea of what to do.

I'm using Xbawk's race mod to allow for multiple new races, but I can't seem to get more than one race to load. If I have multiple races, then it only shows the first race. How do I fix this?

4. Klocko

Klocko Big Damn Hero

It should be like this, for example tech:

common/Starbound/mods/MyTechMod/tech

Where MyTechMod represents the assets folder.

NOT common/Starbound/mods/MyTechMod/assets/tech

Where MyTechMod represents the Starbound folder.

5. Silveray

Silveray Void-Bound Voyager

I get this error on every single mod I try to install. My own mod, other race mods, Felin, Kaenid, every single one tosses up the same error. I only loaded each mod one at a time, no duplicates. I'm rather perplexed that the game won't even load. Any ideas?

All mods have their proper .modinfo, I double checked virtually every file, something just feels bizzare. At the least the Kaenid mod should work since it is recent. I can accept my mod wouldn't work since I might have made a mistake but what confuses me is that all mods I load have the SAME error.

[EDIT] I tried the Kangaru race and it worked. I'm still rather miffed but I suppose I know what to use now as a reference...
    error.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  6. tifel100

You need to change the index for all of them but 1.

7. Spammerman

I do that... How?

I couldn't find any kind of reference to an index in the player.config or universe_server.config files.

8. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

o_O

G4M5T3R likes this.
  9. tifel100

You can change index from race.species

10. Leosky

Leosky Void-Bound Voyager

your path should be :

Code:
    Starbound\mods\mod_MyMod\items\armors\myarmor
    And for more clarification, you have to keep the file hierarchy if you don't want to duplicate file found in assets you don't modify.
    For example, diamondpickaxe.mining tool, refer to the "diamondpickaxe.png" file (and other images). So the game will try to find it in the same directory.
    if you keep the hierarchy, you will not have to copy the images. You can also change the path to those files but i haven't tried (like "strikeSound" : "/sfx/tools/pickaxe_hit.wav" is refering with a full path syntax).

11. Spammerman

Err, my bad. I was tired when I wrote that. It meant your Kbawks mod.

I hunted around. but I couldn't find any race.species. Eventually, I realized that you meant <racename>.species.

I edited them to set the index of Felins at 6 (default), Ponex at 7, and Kangaru at 8.

Then went and edited the charcreation.config in Kawa's chargen mod.

Buuuuut, now it crashes just after "LOADING" screen with a error with the charcreation.config. So what did I do wrong?

The only changes were to the Index on line 3 of the <race>.species and adding the last two entries for the Ponex and Kangaru races in the charcreation.config.

Code:
      //THIS IS THE ONLY PART THAT YOU'LL HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT.
      "textLabels" : [
        [ "SKIN COLOR", "HAIR STYLE", "SHIRT", "PANTS", "UNDY COLOR", "HAIR COLOR", "SHIRT COLOR", "PANTS COLOR", "HUMAN", "PERSONALITY" ],
        [ "FEATHER COLOR", "PLUMAGE", "SHIRT", "PANTS", "BEAK STYLE", "FLUFF", "SHIRT COLOR", "PANTS COLOR", "AVIAN", "PERSONALITY" ],
        [ "FUR COLOR", "HAIR STYLE", "SHIRT", "PANTS", "SKIN COLOR", "BEARD STYLE", "SHIRT COLOR", "PANTS COLOR", "APEX", "PERSONALITY" ],
        [ "SKIN COLOR", "FOLIAGE", "SHIRT", "PANTS", "LEAF COLOR", "FLOWER COLOR", "SHIRT COLOR", "PANTS COLOR", "FLORAN", "PERSONALITY" ],
        [ "SKIN COLOR", "FINS", "SHIRT", "PANTS", "BELLY COLOR", "FIN COLOR", "SHIRT COLOR", "PANTS COLOR", "HYLOTLS", "PERSONALITY" ],
        [ "PAINT COLOR", "HEAD MOD", "SHIRT", "PANTS", "LIGHTS COLOR", "DETAIL COLOR", "SHIRT COLOR", "PANTS COLOR", "GLITCH", "PERSONALITY" ],
        [ "FUR COLOR", "HAIR STYLE", "SHIRT", "PANTS", "BELLY COLOR", "HAIR COLOR", "SHIRT COLOR", "PANTS COLOR", "FELIN", "DISPOSITION" ]
        [ "FUR COLOR", "HAIR STYLE", "SHIRT", "PANTS", "EYE COLOR", "HAIR COLOR", "SHIRT COLOR", "PANTS COLOR", "PONEX", "DISPOSITION" ]
        [ "FUR COLOR", "HAIR STYLE", "SHIRT", "PANTS", "EYE COLOR", "HAIR COLOR", "SHIRT COLOR", "PANTS COLOR", "KANGARU", "DISPOSITION" ]
      ],
    EDIT:

Ok, I found the problem. I just realized that I forgot a couple of commas. Derp.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

"Kawa's xbawks character creator". "Kawa's" as in mine, "xbawks" as in "it's large in physical size". :)

13. RockyTV

RockyTV Big Damn Hero

You can have custom file hierarchies if you want, but modify the path the item will look for the asset, according to your mod's hierarchy.

14. kungfudude

kungfudude Void-Bound Voyager

do you still need to add in the player.config file?

15. Leosky

Leosky Void-Bound Voyager

Yes

16. Thrakx

Thrakx Tentacle Wrangler

Ok so i'm trying to figure out this new structure. Previously I just direct edited asset files to get what I wanted, now, with a character wipe coming I had another idea I wanted to try but I think I need some help with it. Basically I'm working off that whole modify tutorial quest rewards to get back stuff I have now, after that next big wipe. A couple of really basic questions I'm having:

1. Within the Mods folder I've created one folder for this called:
    Mod_rewards. Within this folder I have One single folder I was planning to put my modded tutorial quests. That folder is called MyTutorial Quests; to confirm, this would be the folder I put my redone tutorial files into correct?

2. The second file I have in the Mod_rewards folder is called mod_rewards.modinfo. I'm still not exactly sure how the modinfo files work but here is what I have:

{
    "name" : "mod_rewards",
    "version" : "Beta v. Offended Koala",
    "path" : .",
    "dependencies" : []

I copied this off the first post in this thread, but I'm not exactly sure how to add the correct path? Like I see some people's path line and it's different from this, how do I figure out the correct path for it to load my MyTutorial Quests files? Should I have renamed that folder to be MyMod_rewards or something?
    I just need a slight clarification here please if some one can give it?

3.The third file I have in here is a copied play.config file, but in the first thread post it shows as an XML configuration file, and what I've been able to find so far is just a .config file? Am I looking in the wrong spots or did I make a wrong assumption turn? Also, from what I understand, this playconfig file will overwrite the main one after implementing what's in this folder? Is that correct?

Hope some one can help me get on my feet here :) I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to add the tutorial rewards I want, but if for some reason I cannot anyone want to help me figure out where my problem is going to be?( I'm assuming it'll be something dumb like a forgot a comma, or something needs a space lol)

17. Shadewarp

Shadewarp Pangalactic Porcupine

1: no, you need the files to be within mod_rewards, as the mod_rewards acts as the assets folder in game structure terms.

2: modinfo is checked to see if your mod is up-to-date, otherwise it will give an error. Version should be the version that is current if you want it to run. Right now we are in: Beta v. Agry Koala, that needs to be there. This will prevent old mods from loading once a patch comes out.

3: In the player.config file, you need to adapt the new "_merge" : [] structure - take a look at the top of the forum for information about _merge

Hope it helps a bit ;)

Thrakx likes this.
  18. Thrakx

Thrakx Tentacle Wrangler

thanks shade, it's a start, and I'm sure I'll muddle through the rest of it :) that helps a bit though :)

19. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

Let me try to explain. I'll start with question 2. The modinfo file gives general information about your mod so the game knows whether it is compatible with the current version of the game (hence the "version" attribute). It also specifies the path of the mod, i.e. where the mod is located. Starbound automatically looks in the mods folder for anything that's there, so it's a requirement for the mod to exist there. In addition, this modinfo file must be at the top level so it's immediately found by SB. Setting the path as "." means the mod files are located in the same folder as the modinfo file. So let's look at an example. Say I've got a mod called NameOfMod. The path in the modinfo file is set to ".". Here's what my folder structure would look like:
    • Starbound
      • mods
        • NameOfMod
          • NameOfMod.modinfo
          • player.config
          • someAssetFile.sword
          • someOtherAssetFile.gun
          • FolderWithMoreAssets
          • etc.
    In other words, the game will read in every asset that's in the same folder as the modinfo file. That means your player.config must also be in this folder.

Now let's do the same thing, only this time the path is set to "RandomTest":
    • Starbound
      • mods
        • NameOfMod
          • NameOfMod.modinfo
          • thisfileWONTbefound.object
          • RandomTest
            • player.config
            • thisfileWILLbefound.object
    You can see the modinfo file is still at the top level of your mod's directory. However, this time the player.config file is moved down a directory because the path is set to be deeper down the tree. It won't load assets from anywhere outside RandomTest.

From my tests, the structure inside the path directory doesn't matter. The game will still load it even if it doesn't follow the same naming pattern as the base assets. So you could put your tutorial quests in the RandomTest folder, or in a subfolder inside RandomTest. Either way they should be loaded.

The file must be named "player.config". It's not XML - it's only recognized as such by the OP's operating system because of the extension that's used, but it's actually a JSON file.

If you copy and paste the player.config from the base assets into your mod, then yes, it will overwrite. However, it's highly encouraged to use the __merge functionality, as explained here. This will allow you to add on to the player.config file without overwriting it.

Hope I helped! Let me know if you have any other questions - I enjoy helping people get their feet wet with Starbound modding!

20. Alexandr3211

Alexandr3211 Void-Bound Voyager

Sorry if this seems random, but this reminds me of a problem that is really annoying me at the time: Whenever I play Starbound with ANY mods installed, it'll give me a

"Mod dependencies form a cycle"

What's up with that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.