How to optimize oak and maple trees planting?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RojoHero, Jun 16, 2017.

1. RojoHero

RojoHero Master Chief

I've been wondering for a while now, is there a way to optimize common trees planting? do they have to be planted surrounded by 1 tile in each side (8 tiles) without overlapping? also can i place a tapper in a oak or maple tree stump?

Please help.

PD: i'm new to the community haha hello

• Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

Hi and welcome!
      You don`t need to leave the 8 surrounding files empty, only the 4 right next to the sapling, like this:
      x
      xSx
      x

x=free, S=sapling

And no, you can`t put a tapper on stumps.

Seismothesaurus and RojoHero like this.
      • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Oak, Maple, and Pine trees do not need the one-space clearing on each side the way that Orchard trees do, but there cannot be two mature trees right next to one another, there has to be a space between them-- so if there are multiple smaller trees growing side-by-side only one of them will reach maturity. For even planting and the ability to move around to harvest your oak resin and maple syrup (presuming that's what you want the trees for), it's best to make a grid of flooring with a hole every other space for the seedlings. That way every single tree can grow to full size and the flooring will prevent half-grown trees from blocking your movement between them.

treeyard.png

This is an example of a small treeyard, just scale it up to as large as you need it to be.

• guitardude_324

guitardude_324 Big Damn Hero

Yes, what Lilliput and Rauchschwalbe said. Also, don't be afraid to put some taps on the trees in the forest. To save space on the farm, I like to keep my taps in the forest and I'll keep one of each tree on my farm and have them all synced up to produce at the same time. When my farm tree is ready to produce, I know the rest of the trees in the forest are ready also.

Seismothesaurus and RojoHero like this.
          • RojoHero

RojoHero Master Chief

thank you everyone, i will do as Liliput showed and will upload a screenshot on this thread when its done.

• Giant Octopodes

Giant Octopodes Industrial Terraformer

I'm going to point out here that due to the variable nature of time for tree goods to be produced, you generally want to run through your orchard every day to check if there are goods to collect, as the trees in front block effective view of goods being produced by trees further back. With smaller orchards its not a big deal to do this on foot, but generally speaking I value time over space so I personally recommend having two spaces between trees horizontally at least every so often, so the horse can run through vertical columns. (After all the horse requires 1 space to move through horizontal spaces but 2 for vertical spaces).

You can do this for just the beginning and end or just have space after the trees and move down to the next row in there, but personally for ease of navigation my pattern looks more like this (X is Empty, T is Tree)

XXXXXXXXXX
              XTXXTXTXXT
              XXXXXXXXXX
              XTXXTXTXXT

Arranging in that manner loses 1 tree per 4 grown, or 20% efficiency, but gains the ability to check for harvest running both vertically and horizontally through the orchard depending on my angle of approach, without having to get off my horse. YMMV, I just know I've replanted a LOT of orchards to optimize for keg production and know how much of a pain it is to change your mind if you dislike the results. Keep in mind I have a forest of 50+ oak trees so again not a concern when going smaller scale. I'll also second the flooring everywhere the trees are not of course, it prevents annoying saplings from forming.

RojoHero likes this.
              • RojoHero

RojoHero Master Chief

I Actually tried and got the tappers working on the tree stumps, that way the trees blocking the ones behind is no longer a problem. not as beautiful as having the full trees all around my place but way more functional. The ones i planted to the right are the way lilliput said, and the ones with tappers are the old ones before i opened the thread, decided experiment with them while the new ones grow.

Untitled.png

Attached Files:

Seismothesaurus and Jerev like this.
                • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Looks good-- you can put down the flooring without waiting for the seeds to sprout or the trees to mature, if you want. Unlike fruit trees, oaks/maples/pines will mature just fine surrounded by flooring or other things.

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

I never knew that tappers work on trunks. Thank you for the information.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Weeeellactually... That was supposed to have been fixed in in the 1.1 update. Tappers used to work on trunks, then when CA released 1.1 he was supposed to have fixed that. Curious. Either something wasn't fixed properly or the OP has exceptionally talented stumps?

• RojoHero

RojoHero Master Chief

i tried to do the same to the new ones but wasn't able, seems like just the trees that were there before i updated the game are up to do so.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Hmm, that makes a strange sense. Something CA changed about stumps in 1.1, but stumps that were already there are still tappable. Interesting to know!