How to mod your ship.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by WickedWitch, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiltos

tiltos Void-Bound Voyager

2. dominichello

dominichello Tentacle Wrangler

3. Eyhzat

Eyhzat Space Hobo

4. Master Catfish

Master Catfish Void-Bound Voyager

Wow, tiltos! That's great. I'm glad to see one that is so different from the original! Good call on putting the fuel port on the huge thruster.

5. czexperience

czexperience Scruffy Nerf-Herder

cool!! i hanker

hanker

6. WickedWitch

WickedWitch Big Damn Hero

Glad to see people putting my guide to good use. Sorry my lack of activity, but between finding a new job and a re-occurring family problem it's slowed down dramatically.

Any hoo, drama out the way.

Added a few bits and bobs to keep the guide up to date.

7. Greymatter28

Greymatter28 Void-Bound Voyager

Did they fix the ability to have multiple ship lockers?

EDIT: Nevermind, my block file was iffy.

8. tiltos

tiltos Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks! I still need to put some more details in there, and flesh it out some more.

That said, it seems that you can modify your art file without starting a new toon - so I'm going to get some playtime in :D

9. Doctor Snyder

Doctor Snyder Intergalactic Tourist

This is beautiful

Though I'm not too technically inclined, and I probably wont be able to do this any time soon.

I will have to beg a friend to do it, or wait until Chucklfish adds it into the game. In which if they do add it. My day will be made

There was never enough space on the ship. (What I'd really want is like a Capital ship. Tons of room. Lots of fuel storage, ect.. I could already imagine a plant room, and everything. One for each faction too hopfully!)

10. kik4444

kik4444 Existential Complex

Is there a topic out there dedicated entirely to modded ship designs?

11. WickedWitch

If there isn't there should be.

I can imagine in time, with the right amount of effort and skill would could see marvelous masterpieces by other modders.

Starships from Startrek, Starwars, Stargate, Babylon 5. Or completely original designs.

Personally I want a Metroid ship. I had a go, but I don't have the skill or time to do it.

Thank the devs for making it so easy to mod this game.

12. dcsk8erboy

dcsk8erboy Space Kumquat

dropship2.png Here's a human ship I made. I expanded greatly on another ship design I found. dropship2.png

Not the prettiest, but with the walls you can't see some of the faults, and theres a lot of room to grow plants and stuff. Haven't tried it yet but I assume plants can go in spaceships as well..

13. Hoxalicious

Hoxalicious Industrial Terraformer

I'd like to add a little something to the tutorial regarding distribution, as currently it's a real hassle for the person downloading a ship mod to install (when it doesn't have to be.) Are you able to add in to the original post that the modder can package the .SHIPWORLD file alongside with the required PNGs to allow users to simply drop files in, rename the SHIPWORLD and then they can play with the new ship hassle free?

I can link to my (convoluted) post regarding this if need be. I just feel like seeing as shipmodders have already done everything that the player needs to, there's no sense doing the same work twice-over (backing up folders, renaming folders, booting the game up, exiting, re-enabling the backups, play).

AndrewSeven likes this.
  14. 0siris

0siris Subatomic Cosmonaut

Man, I really want to build a ship, but this is so confusing for me - I can't even recolor a ship without it turning invisible.
    If anyone who actually knows what they are doing would like to build me a ship, let me know please lol.

Edit: Sweet! I figured out how to recolor my ship now.. earlier I was just saving the file, instead of exporting the file back as a .png.

Still no luck on the harder part of of this, though. :down:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  15. WickedWitch

I'm not sure how the plant growing is handle, so I'm unable to say if they can grow or not, if anyone can confirm this please do. I know you can add dirt material via dropshipblocks. And even plants, but if they grow I just don't know.

I can do that, it shouldn't be that difficult for modders to do so. It's something they should get into doing so that players would be more willing to download their ship mods. Besides not everyone is inclined to alter files, even if they do use mods.

dcsk8erboy likes this.
  16. Hoxalicious

Hoxalicious Industrial Terraformer

Exactly my thinking. I'd made a thread already but I think any tutorials that do pop up should take note of this new method, at least until we have a more solid way of delivering mods to the userbase.

17. WickedWitch

That would be nice, it's slightly of putting just creating mods, when you know that it's alot of effort just to get them to work. When an mod API does come out and a mod manager that easily created backups etc, is created. Then I would be more willing to mod. Until then it's job hunting.

18. 0siris

0siris Subatomic Cosmonaut

^ Plants do grow on the ship. From what I heard, it is the best option to grow them, for the simple fact that the ships chunks are always loaded.

I'm still having troubles with this... can someone explain the dropshipblocks to me?

Say I create a ship, save it as ShipShip, how do I know where to put all the dropship things in the other file? (Like walls and whatnot.) I don't understand how I'm suppose to tell where each part is, considering its two different files.. Am I missing something here, or what lol.

19. First of all, great work on making this tutorial and well made spaceships so far. But the problem is, that this is kinda confusing for someone like me, I#m not into this programing thingy. A Youtube-Tutorial would be awesome :-O.
    Anyway, when i have some minutes I'll try my best to mod my own Spaceship (originals are way to small und ugly...).

20. WickedWitch

Thats for info on the plants growing, secondly the thing you have to remember with between the dropshipblocks.png and shipship.png is the 1:8 ratio. For every pixel in dropshipblocks.png = 8 in shipship.png

It's kind of a case of trial and error, mainly for non-default / from scratch ships.

Try to start with the shipship.png first and design your ship, remembering that for every 8 pixels in shipship.png is 1 full block in-game, or 1 pixel's worth in dropshipblocks.png.

Use that to make sure that corridors or doorways are always 32 pixels high. Or your character won't fit properly. Or won't be able to place some objects. Door's are 5 blocks or 40 pixels high.

Placement of objects in-game like the 3dprinter are placed from the bottom right of the object where ever that colour is in dropshipblocks.png.

Best thing you may find is use a image program that has a configurable grid, and set it to 32 pixels. Count how many grids squares there are in shipship.png, then use that to design the ship via dropshipblocks.png, as well as where it's start is from the top-left in dropship.structure.

0siris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.