How To - make your own dungeon sets

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Trook, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoomFire

DoomFire Existential Complex

Oh. I think I have figured out why it was crashing........

Basically, paint.net seems to just use the same colour for colours that are VERY similar. For example, Iron blocks are 50, 0, 255. and Junk tech is 51, 0, 255...
    In game, it's all just showing as iron blocks. then once I attempt to edit it in starstructor now, the program will crash.

EDIT: Alright, it was apparently because paint.net must use a different indexed colour format.
    So I have just started using default paint.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. CaptainKobold

CaptainKobold Pangalactic Porcupine

Gimp is a great alternative to that!

The | Suit likes this.
  3. DoomFire

I think I might download it and give it a go, though I have just been using regular paint.
    So you have never had a problem with starstructor crashing while using gimp?

4. CaptainKobold

I've hit problems in terms of my game crashing (because I misused a tool and accidentally anti aliased), but that was pretty much my fault. As long as you are careful about brush and selection tool settings, GIMP works pretty damned well.

The | Suit likes this.
  5. DoomFire

Alright sure.
    I might take a look. Though paint has been working well. ^ ~ ^ It's just a little annoying in terms of hotkeys and such.

6. CaptainKobold

Totally up to you with what works best for you! It all depends upon what you find most useful and what you are working on.

7. oOoOriOnOoOo

oOoOriOnOoOo Orbital Explorer

I was hoping someone could help me understand better how to get these dang things to spawn properly on the surface of the planet.

I've read the initial tutorial about creating the black & white pixels where one must contain air and the other background. I've also added the lines to the planetgen.config for
    "spawnDungeonNearSpawn" : true,
    "spawnMonsters" : false

I'm really specifically looking for:
    • Verify how to ensure these things spawn on the surface
      • Currently using background layer in the color mode for the white/black pixel
    • Verify how to quickly test to make sure everything works
    The spawning with the white list overwrite just doesn't seem to work, or maybe I'm just confused as to how it should all work haha. Below you will find a sample house I made using the generic random encounter .dungeon file. I removed all the parts and created my own so I could use all the predefined assets. I added the two pixels for air/background & updated the config with the spawning info.

I only found it underground on one planet by mistake, and I just find myself going from planet to planet to try and find it! It's just a huge waste of time, and hopefully I'm missing something very obvious. Any help is very much appreciated! I am also using Starstructor.

[​IMG]

8. CaptainKobold

You've only got one side of it defined with the little black and white blips! Add a second set on the opposite side (at the same elevations) and I think it should work. It also doesn't have any connectors, but if it's supposed to appear alone, I /THINK/ that's okay!

oOoOriOnOoOo likes this.
  9. oOoOriOnOoOo

I appreciate the info. Now it makes sense about being at the same height. I didn't understand that in the first post! I will try this and see how it works out.

At this point, yes, it's supposed to just spawn by itself. I'm hoping to add more randomness to the surface layer of the planets! Wanted to start small and go from there haha.

Do you have any suggestions on how to verify everything is working properly other than jumping around to random planets and seeing if it works? I even installed the creative mod to make it easier, but still have to deal with FTL jumps and all that. Looking to make this as fast as possible for testing purposes. Thanks for your help so far!!!

10. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

In world gen - delete all dungeon white lists - except yours.

oOoOriOnOoOo likes this.
  11. CaptainKobold

You can do that by adding an overwrite line! Just be sure to set it back as comments (or delete it) before you post it! This is mine while I'm working on kobold settlements/NPCs.

Code:
    {
        "__merge" : [
        [ "overwrite", "dungeonWhitelist" ]
        ],
            "spawnMonsters" : false,
       "spawnDungeonNearSpawn" : true,
        "dungeonWhitelist" : [ "koboldvillage" ]
    }

oOoOriOnOoOo likes this.
  12. oOoOriOnOoOo

Thanks guys. I was using planetgen.config instead of worldgen.config... Suppose that was my fault, but after xxswatelitexx said world gen, I did some searches, downloaded more updated dungeon mods, and saw they were using that file instead. Also put back Creative Mode, popped to my first planet and boom, stupid little house was right there!

Thanks, both of you!

The | Suit and CaptainKobold like this.
  13. CaptainKobold

No problem! Glad to be of help! The change to worldgen is a new one since Enraged, mixing up a lot of people!

The | Suit likes this.
  14. LaikaReturns

LaikaReturns Orbital Explorer

I was hoping I might get a little advice on dungeon generation.
    I have the same problem that Seancruz was having.
    Whenever Starbound tries to generate my dungeon it fails and tells me that there is an unknown dungeon color.
    I've taken that color and converted it to RGB, but it's not a color that my dungeon file even references.
    As far as I can tell nothing is applied to it.
    It's driving me batty.

15. DoomFire

Doesn't the code use RGB anyway? The fourth number being the opacity?
    That was my assumption anyway.

Well, I have been using it that way and my dungeon has been generating.

16. LaikaReturns

The code does, but the log file returns references to color in hex for some reason.

17. DoomFire

What program are you using to make the dungeon?
    Because I had issues with my dungeon when I was using paint.net. It might be unrelated though.

Think I could see the log? ^ ~ ^.

Also sorry if I am no help at all in the end, I don't completely understand it either. But I might be able to help.

18. LaikaReturns

I used gimp, notepad ++, and starstructor.
    Sure, knock yourself out.
    http://pastebin.com/Zkmbpe9m
    That's the meat of the error, it does repeat about 8 times in the log file though.

19. DoomFire

Is that the only colour that's giving the error?
    You could try and swap that colour out for another one, and swap it in the image as well. I had an issue with a few very similar colours messing up the generation. But that was the fault of paint.net.

See if it persists. If so it MIGHT have to do with the code. But I'm not completely sure. Try that, and if not perhaps wait for someone with more experience to reply. Sorry! > ~ <

20. LaikaReturns

Yeah, that's the only one, but it's not referenced at all.

It's alright, I appreciate any help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.