How To - make your own dungeon sets

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Trook, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Maybe starbound.log displays colors in hexadecimal format (from 0 to F, with a value range of 00-FF) instead of decimal format (from 0 to 9, with a value range of 0-255)? Try converting from hexadecimal format to decimal format, and see if that works out.

2. seancruz

seancruz Big Damn Hero

Well the problem is, photoshop reads both hexadecimal and decimal. But when I input the value, the color does not exist. Either way, I don't have access to the hexadecimal value any more, so I can't show you.

I think what might've caused the problem is that I was using Replace All tool while trying to change a large number of values for parts, and it might've changed the values for decimal colors.

3. Trook

Trook Space Penguin Leader

Maybe you accidently changed something or you missed a sign after a color definition, so that the color became "un-parseable"

4. CaptainKobold

CaptainKobold Pangalactic Porcupine

I think I've followed your instructions correctly, but I'm getting a rather odd error during worldgen. Usually I'd just look at the log to see what the problem is, but I can't quite make heads or tails of it. Do you by any chance know where I might begin looking with this problem?

Code:
    replace;452b13=452b13;303030=303030;555555=555555;808080=808080;724c23=724c23;78472b=78472b;a9523d=a9523d;ad885f=ad885f;52341e=52341e
    Warn: Object wildavesmingoseed does not have a price set
    Error: Access violation detected at 0x7d50d0 (Read of address 0x4)
    Error: Stack Trace...
      007F4A50 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/core/StarSignalHandler_windows.cpp:16)
      0068BA34 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/game/StarWorldServer.cpp:1542)
      0069BAD2 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/game/StarWorldServer.cpp:36)
      ... (5)
      0040A214 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:199)
      00407C30 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/client/main.cpp:48)
      004DBBD1 (c:\SDL-1.2.15/./src/main/win32/SDL_win32_main.c:318)

5. Trook

not sure, quite hard to say without taking a deeper look at the file iteself :7

buuut....
    0x7d50d0
    iirc this pops up when there is a parsing problem with the .dungeon file. (missing bracket or comma or kinda)

6. CaptainKobold

Hmmm... Ran a validator and did a bit of searching, but I don't see anything coming up with missing brackets/commas.

Could just be it'd be easier for me to start over. I've largely just moved brushes into the file from the big example file (so as to not have an enormous file any time I need to actually mess with it).

7. Trook

hmmm, can you load the file with starstructor?

some validators ignore special rules which still will cause the game to crash. Starstructors parser also ignores some of them, but once saved, it should work fine for the game too.

8. CaptainKobold

Looks like starstructor opens it no problem. The image, I'm realizing, looks to be messed up though, where I thought biome ground was appearing it actually seems not to. That could be my issue...

I'm beginning to suspect that there is an issue with the .png file somewhere, though I've yet to quite figure out what that is. Starstructor doesn't show the biome floor I would have expected it to be showing, but I may well be doing the setup of that wrong.

9. Trook

hope you can fix it =)
    (if not you can upload the files and i could take a look)

10. CaptainKobold

Thank you very much! I'm going to see if I can muddle my way through first so that I can hopefully learn the system a bit better!

11. CaptainKobold

I went through and redid things from the start with your instructions! I'm not 100% sure where I initially went wrong, but this time it went far better. Thanks!

12. espilonarge

espilonarge Big Damn Hero

The possible reason why you're getting an "access violation detected" at 0x4 is because you most likely have two sets of objects/tiles using an "identical" color code. I tested this personally and that's what seems to cause the problem.

capizma likes this.
  13. CaptainKobold

That would make some sense. I was pretty slap dash first time I was putting it together.

14. rocker742

rocker742 Aquatic Astronaut

From my message:

"Hello. I've been going through your dungeon-making tutorial and got to the part about testing the dungeon with

Code:
    "__merge" : [
        [ "overwrite", "dungeonWhitelist" ]
        ],
        "dungeonWhitelist" : [ "dungeonname" ]
    }
    But when I make the edit to the .config, I'm never able to find the dungeon, and only microdungeons seem to spawn.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there some other way to test dungeon areas?"

15. Trook

IIf the merge would be broken, the game would crash, as there'd be no dungeon to create, or it would still create vanilla dungeons, when St with "overwrite" went wrong.
    So your entrance may cause the problem.
    What ever it is, the game seems not to be able to place it, or it is placed underground/in the skies, if you forgot to place a "hhas to contain air/background" - pair.

So check your entrance for stuff which may cause troubles. For example 2 "surfacePairs" (see main post) On different height-levels seem to cause such a problem too.

And btw: if only the entrance spawns, but not a single room: seems like rooms have to have at least 1 object placed to be able to spawn (had this problem 2 times recently)

rocker742 likes this.
  16. Shadewarp

Shadewarp Pangalactic Porcupine

I've run into a bit of a hickup

My dungeon generates fine, and all the objects too, but the villagers won't spawn. All I get is this error:

"Error: Failed to place dungeon MapException: Key 'villager' not found in Map::get()"

17. Shadewarp

Shadewarp Pangalactic Porcupine

Somehow I fixed it - no idea how - but I fixed it! Amazing to find your own race in game! Makes me happy! :D

18. espilonarge

espilonarge Big Damn Hero

Is there any way to separate the anchors for the left entrance, right entrance and center? I want it so it's possible to tell it to randomly select which to use for the left and right entrances but still have the center as it's primary.

Also, I'm still having trouble getting the mapping to be "leveled" with the ground. No matter what I've tried, either it appears floating in the air or it's underground. This has been frustrating me to absolutely no end.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  19. nubnubbud

nubnubbud Pangalactic Porcupine

one question, if this is still an active thread. can someone explain how connectors work, their ruled, and when they won't work? mine seem to do nothing, and I don't know what's wrong with the files, so I thought the info could help.

20. VitezKolya

VitezKolya Void-Bound Voyager

I've been tryiing to find the source of this error for a while. I've used a json validator to check for any code goofs(missing { , ] etc..), and checked for duplicate colors. Nothing is wrong that I can see. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Error:
    Error: Failed to process dungeon file /dungeons/smallfloatingfortress/smallfloatingfortress.dungeon : StarException: Exception StarException: Unknown dungeon color: #ff00dbff (/dungeons/smallfloatingfortress/ smallfloatingfortress dummy)

Full log:
    Code:
    Info: Preparing Star::Root...
    Info: Loading Star::Configuration from '..\starbound.config'
    Info: Done preparing Star::Root.
    Info: Client version 'Beta v. Furious Koala' '636'
    Info: Running from : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\starbound.exe
    Info: Starting from the title screen
    Info: Initialized SDL
    Info: Initialized SDL Video
    Info: Initialized SDL Joystick
    Info: Initialized SDL Sound
    Info: Opened default audio device with 44khz / 16 bit stereo audio, 2048 sample size buffer
    Info: Loading Star::Root...
    Info: Initializing SDL Window
    Info: Loading Star::Configuration from '..\starbound.config'
    Info: Not loading ImageMetadataDatabase from file '..\image.cache', digest mismatch or assets not digestable
    Info: Created initial window 1904x1042
    Info: Initializing SDL Window
    Info: Re-created window 1920x1058
    Error: Failed to process dungeon file /dungeons/smallfloatingfortress/smallfloatingfortress.dungeon : StarException: Exception StarException: Unknown dungeon color: #ff00dbff  (/dungeons/smallfloatingfortress/ smallfloatingfortress dummy)
      0068F82D (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarDungeonGenerator.cpp:587)
      0068FBF2 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarDungeonGenerator.cpp:545)
      ... (3)
      004FDA9E (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarRoot.cpp:179)
      0040494C (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:305)
      0098243C (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarThread_windows.cpp:74)
      76A9336A kernel32.dll
      77C79F72 ntdll.dll
      77C79F45 ntdll.dll
    in connector entrance1
      0068FBF2 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarDungeonGenerator.cpp:545)
      ... (3)
      004FDA9E (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarRoot.cpp:179)
      0040494C (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:305)
      0098243C (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarThread_windows.cpp:74)
      76A9336A kernel32.dll
      77C79F72 ntdll.dll
      77C79F45 ntdll.dll

Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for chestplant1, using default
    Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for barvent, using default
    Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for wreckvent, using default
    Info: Done loading Star::Root.
    Info: Writing Star::Configuration to '..\starbound.config'
    Error: Error loading player file, ignoring! ..\player\92e68b1439318036cfab141890e69a36.player : IOException: Wrong magic bytes at start of versioned json file, expected 'SBVJ01'
      005491B7 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarVersioning.hpp:23)
      00404CE5 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:350)
      00406957 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:388)
      0040A6C4 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:200)
      00407E74 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/main.cpp:38)
      004EC0C1 (\SDL-1.2.15/./src/main/win32/SDL_win32_main.c:318)

Error: Error loading player file, ignoring! ..\player\e9fad5f354ec007aa7608bcae754a0d1.player : IOException: Wrong magic bytes at start of versioned json file, expected 'SBVJ01'
      005491B7 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarVersioning.hpp:23)
      00404CE5 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:350)
      00406957 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:388)
      0040A6C4 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:200)
      00407E74 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/main.cpp:38)
      004EC0C1 (\SDL-1.2.15/./src/main/win32/SDL_win32_main.c:318)

Warn: Perf: ClientApplication::update millis: 4941
    Warn: Perf: StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.update millis: 4941
    Warn: Perf: StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop millis: 5707
    Info: Application quitting!
    Info: [ [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop", "Cnt#: ", 2156, "Sum(ms)", 42288, "Avg", 19, "SAvg", 15, "Min", 15, "Max", 5707, "Last", 18, "Var(avg,us)", 8377.09, "VMax(ms)", 5655, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.sleeping", "Cnt#: ", 12802, "Sum(ms)", 22846, "Avg", 1, "SAvg", 1, "Min", 1, "Max", 47, "Last", 1, "Var(avg,us)", 784.565, "VMax(ms)", 46, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.preSleeping", "Cnt#: ", 2086, "Sum(ms)", 12049, "Avg", 5, "SAvg", 1, "Min", 1, "Max", 47, "Last", 2, "Var(avg,us)", 3401.25, "VMax(ms)", 36, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.postSleeping", "Cnt#: ", 10716, "Sum(ms)", 10803, "Avg", 1, "SAvg", 1, "Min", 1, "Max", 19, "Last", 1, "Var(avg,us)", 8.1187, "VMax(ms)", 18, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.graphicsSwapBuffers", "Cnt#: ", 2156, "Sum(ms)", 9963, "Avg", 4, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 38, "Last", 4, "Var(avg,us)", 4805.66, "VMax(ms)", 38, "Parent", "" ], [ "Assets::loadVariant", "Cnt#: ", 10097, "Sum(ms)", 5004, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 72, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 495.593, "VMax(ms)", 72, "Parent", "" ], [ "ClientApplication::update", "Cnt#: ", 2188, "Sum(ms)", 4961, "Avg", 2, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 4941, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 2341.41, "VMax(ms)", 4941, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.update", "Cnt#: ", 2188, "Sum(ms)", 4961, "Avg", 2, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 4941, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 2341.41, "VMax(ms)", 4941, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.render", "Cnt#: ", 2156, "Sum(ms)", 4037, "Avg", 1, "SAvg", 1, "Min", 0, "Max", 760, "Last", 1, "Var(avg,us)", 952.226, "VMax(ms)", 760, "Parent", "" ], [ "ClientApplication::render", "Cnt#: ", 2156, "Sum(ms)", 4033, "Avg", 1, "SAvg", 1, "Min", 0, "Max", 760, "Last", 1, "Var(avg,us)", 950.371, "VMax(ms)", 760, "Parent", "" ], [ "Assets::loadImage", "Cnt#: ", 6962, "Sum(ms)", 3106, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 48, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 447.285, "VMax(ms)", 48, "Parent", "" ], [ "Assets::loadBaseImage", "Cnt#: ", 6763, "Sum(ms)", 2643, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 32, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 391.986, "VMax(ms)", 32, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.SDL_PollEvent", "Cnt#: ", 2188, "Sum(ms)", 344, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 78, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 1345.06, "VMax(ms)", 78, "Parent", "" ], [ "Assets::loadFont", "Cnt#: ", 1, "Sum(ms)", 166, "Avg", 166, "SAvg", 166, "Min", 166, "Max", 166, "Last", 166, "Var(avg,us)", 0, "VMax(ms)", 0, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.renderPost", "Cnt#: ", 2156, "Sum(ms)", 123, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 12, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 60.2968, "VMax(ms)", 12, "Parent", "" ], [ "ClientApplication::renderInit", "Cnt#: ", 3, "Sum(ms)", 37, "Avg", 12, "SAvg", 11, "Min", 9, "Max", 16, "Last", 9, "Var(avg,us)", 2333.33, "VMax(ms)", 4, "Parent", "" ], [ "ClientApplication::updateTitle", "Cnt#: ", 2071, "Sum(ms)", 20, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 14, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 53.5973, "VMax(ms)", 14, "Parent", "" ], [ "Assets::loadAudio", "Cnt#: ", 5, "Sum(ms)", 17, "Avg", 3, "SAvg", 1, "Min", 0, "Max", 12, "Last", 1, "Var(avg,us)", 3200, "VMax(ms)", 8, "Parent", "" ], [ "Cinematic::render", "Cnt#: ", 2155, "Sum(ms)", 14, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 12, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 37.123, "VMax(ms)", 12, "Parent", "" ], [ "Assets::postProcessAudio", "Cnt#: ", 3, "Sum(ms)", 11, "Avg", 3, "SAvg", 4, "Min", 0, "Max", 6, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 2000, "VMax(ms)", 5, "Parent", "" ], [ "ClientApplication::renderDestroy", "Cnt#: ", 3, "Sum(ms)", 7, "Avg", 2, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 7, "Last", 7, "Var(avg,us)", 2333.33, "VMax(ms)", 7, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.graphicsClear", "Cnt#: ", 2156, "Sum(ms)", 3, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 1, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 1.39147, "VMax(ms)", 1, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.graphicsFinish", "Cnt#: ", 2156, "Sum(ms)", 3, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 1, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 1.39147, "VMax(ms)", 1, "Parent", "" ], [ "ClientApplication::processInput", "Cnt#: ", 100, "Sum(ms)", 1, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 1, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 10, "VMax(ms)", 1, "Parent", "" ], [ "Cinematic::update", "Cnt#: ", 2188, "Sum(ms)", 0, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 0, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 0, "VMax(ms)", 0, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.graphicsStart", "Cnt#: ", 2156, "Sum(ms)", 0, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 0, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 0, "VMax(ms)", 0, "Parent", "" ], [ "ClientApplication::updateSplash", "Cnt#: ", 117, "Sum(ms)", 0, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 0, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 0, "VMax(ms)", 0, "Parent", "" ], [ "Audio::parseWav", "Cnt#: ", 3, "Sum(ms)", 0, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 0, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 0, "VMax(ms)", 0, "Parent", "" ] ]
    Info: Shutting down Star::Root

Here is the dungeon code:
    Code:
    {
        "metadata": {
            "name": "smallfloatingfortress",
            "species": "dummy",
            "rules": [],
            "anchor": [
                "entrance1"
            ],
            "gravity": 30,