How to make a video game.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Brycen, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Brycen

Brycen Phantasmal Quasar

Hello guys!

I have to make a Videogames for a school project and I was wondering the following

A.What engine does Starbound use
    B.Where can I get a free Game engine that's easy to use
    C.Do I need to know basic coding to use that engine
    D.Where can I learn basic coding
    E.What are some things to note before making a video game.

Thanks! ALL feedback is welcome!

2. Surn_Thing

Surn_Thing Pangalactic Porcupine

How long do you have for this project?

3. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

I believe Starbound uses its own engine.

For someone who hasn't really investigated too far into coding, I'd recommend using a program such as Game Maker (GM). GM is based on putting blocks of codes/actions on things in a game, and does not require too much coding knowledge, although you can manually type scripts for it too.

Basic coding can probably be learned online, as tutorials are available for many different coding languages.

Before you make your game, try planning the whole thing out. Know what you're going to make.

Relten likes this.
  4. Brycen

Brycen Phantasmal Quasar

Sometime in May, but I need to begin working now!

5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Best advice I can give you, is to get a copy of RPGMaker (the older ones are rather cheap). It's probably the simplest video game engine you could ever use.

Relten likes this.
  6. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

For a free option, there is Gamemaker Studio on steam. I will bring up that it uses it's own unique language though (Which is really easy to learn, If you can do simple math...you can probably learn GML in a matter of minutes).

Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214850/

Or RPGmaker, that works too

7. Brycen

Brycen Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks for the advice! :)

8. Grave Knight

Grave Knight Subatomic Cosmonaut

A. Pretty sure they use their own engine.
    B. Depends what you mean by free. Free to use? There are a lot to choose from like Unity and Unreal Engine. But if you want to sell your games you need a license.
    C. YES! Sort of. Each engine has it's own version of coding. That being said there is no real "basic coding" per say since each engine has their own "basic coding".
    D. Depends on the engine you go with. Usually they have code support, either as free basic tutorials or pay for advance tutorial.
    E. Uh...hm...you should watch these:

Actually if you're at all interested in that stuff you should watch Extra Credits. Their entire show is about game design philosophy.

Cpaz likes this.