How to make a profit in 1.1: a number-crunching and theorycrafting thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShneekeyTheLost, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Manning

Manning Aquatic Astronaut

For Fall - Fairy Rose Honey seems like a good option.

• Manning

Manning Aquatic Astronaut

Hops in the greenhouse are better financially, but you have to harvest every day. So there is the effort vs return factor.

• Terradel

Terradel Subatomic Cosmonaut

Given the limited space you have in the greenhouse, and the fact that Hops are on a trellis, I'm inclined to believe that you'd get more out of coffee.

Quick math check: Ancient Fruit still yields a higher return than coffee does, even post-nerf.

Assuming fully grown in the greenhouse:

Ancient Fruit:
        550g (base price) x 114 seeds sown (assuming 6 spinklers in greenhouse) = 62,000g x 4 (4 harvests per month) = 250,800g (and that's on the low end, without any silver or gold quality fruit and also without any kegs active).

Coffee Beans:
        15 (base price) x 114 seeds sown (assuming 6 spinklers in greenhouse) x 4 beans per harvest = 6,840g x 14 (14 harvests per month) = 95,760g (and that's on the low end, without any silver or gold quality beans and also without any kegs active).

At least, seems that way to me. I might be missing something, but for now I'll hold off on removing my Ancient Fruit farm.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
          uselessdragonfly likes this.
        • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

You can double the price of coffee beans if you brew it into coffee, but yea, I was slightly off on my math. I am correcting it now

You can replace 72 Ancient Fruit with Hops, and 16 more with fruit trees to maximize your profits.

• Terradel

Yeah, that's definitely be the way to go, at least if Pale Ale takes 1 day produce. Or is it 2 days? I'm not sure. If only 1 day, you'd be getting 604,800g per month, assuming you had 72 kegs running every day (and that's without Artisan). If two days, half that. Although, if you had 114 Kegs, all filled with Ancient Fruit (without Artisan), you'd be getting 752,400g per month.

I think Ancient Fruit is still king in the greenhouse, simply because you're not halted by a trellis. Not only that, but they reproduce every 7 days which means you're not having to reinvest in the same crop (unlike Starfruit).

At that point it comes down to how many kegs you have. At least 72 kegs? Go Hops. At least 114 kegs? Go Ancient Fruit. Keep in mind this is only for the greenhouse. The trellis really hurts Hops because if they could utilize the full 114 (or 120 if you manually water) spots in the greenhouse, they would be the champion. Since they can't, however, Ancient Fruit still leads the way, although much less so this time around.

There may be other crops out there that are better suited for the greenhouse, but between Ancient Fruit, Coffee, and Hops, Ancient Fruit is still ahead between the three.

• Magistrella

Magistrella Big Damn Hero

Then i must have ran into an exploit bug... b/c in my 5th playthrough where i married Penny i had a Greenhouse full of Gem Berries until Ancient Fruit took over. I even have 22 Seeds left in the chest - no more fruit so i can't check except if i want to keep on playing that save (which i rather won't, working on my Emily save :eek:)

/edit: Btw - the max in Greenhouse for Ancient Fruit is 116, not 114, as the field is 12 wide, you can place 2 iridium sprinklers on the wooden edge to reach all crops. That way you only need to give up 4 spaces on the actual field~

• Aezlea

Aezlea Intergalactic Tourist

Agree with you.

Even if you were to make coffee beans into coffee, let's not forget that you need 5 beans for 1 coffee. For 114 coffee plant you will get 6496 coffee beans, assuming u get 14 harvests in that season.
                If you were to make all of those into coffee , 6496/5 = 1299.2. Which it will get you about 389700g in one season.

Same calculation in ancient fruits with kegs gives you 752400g, like what Terradel have mentioned. We even have casks now to bump up the value to twice as much, in which you can't do that with coffee.

And you only need to harvest ancient fruits once every week. which saves you a ton of time and effort as compared to coffee. Not just in greenhouse scenario, even if you have your whole farm planted with ancient fruits, the profit that you get from ancient fruit is so much more. While the cask and kegs are active, you have a lot of time to do other things like mining and other stuff which helps you to progress the game.

Not to say coffee isn't any good but in my opinion, Coffee are for early game as are easy to obtain, via seedmaker since u get 4 beans per plant and ancient fruit are for end game where you really need that huge amount of cash for end game building . By the time you are aiming for those end game building , you probably have enough ancient fruit seed (via seed maker) to cover your entire farm with it.

• Terradel

@Magistrella , good point! I forgot about that. I use 114 due to the way I have my greenhouse set up, though you can maximally use 116.

@Aezlea , indeed. Ancient Fruit still yields more, while also giving you more time to tend to personal matters. I'd agree that Coffee is very handy early game (in fact it's extraordinary), but once you're able to invest in Hops or Ancient Fruit, they fall off a bit. I might have to start a new farm just to see how much potential Coffee has early game.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

The Seed Maker requires Farming 9. Kegs require Farming 8. So coffee doesn't appear to very viable be for the early game, since you won't be able to craft these at that point.

• Magistrella

Summer 3rd 1st year, Farming 7 here - its not that hard. You won't be making immediate profit but it gives you something to fill up your kegs until you get those Ancient Fruit running - which can take a while depending when you get your first seed. In my last save it took me until mid winter 1st year ><

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

This doesn't answer what you can really do on your First Summer and First Fall, because...

1). You're not going to have the materials to set up shop with kegs, jars and seed makers very much to be honest.
                        2). Starfruit? Are you kidding me? How are you supposed to get Starfruit Seeds on Year 1, when yanno, the Bus costs what again, almost 40k?
                        3). Coffee Beans, let's see... they ONLY drop from Dust Sprites. Yeah good luck getting down to Floor 60 in Early 1st Spring. Maybe if you catch a Neptune's Blade or something on your 2nd-3rd Day of Spring?

We need a "How am I supposed to make money on First Summer and First Fall"?

And Winter is now looking like it is the most profitable Year 1 season because of the ridiculous profits that can be made from Fishing if you spent time to level it up before Winter. You can easily make 5-6k per day on Fishing which seems to be far more than you can do in the other seasons, especially after berry nerf.

EDIT: Doing napkin math in my head, looks like the only ways to make money is "Fish when rain during Spring", do Mine otherwise, and during the summer... pfft, I dunno, maybe Mine Lake fishing all the way. A few crops just to get farming skill up, not actually for profit. Not too many, because that takes time&energy to water the plants, time&energy that'd better be spent fishing.

So basically, the berry nerf is basically "Stop farming, go fishing" for your first year. And of course, mine runs. The sooner you can start finding Diamonds and Rubies in the Floor 90+ is the sooner you can consistently pull in decent money per day.

Filmstudy, Borodin and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                        • Magistrella

Well... i was down to 80 on Spring 28th and had 3 beans drop on me (i only went in the days i had good or best luck, one day i made 45-60 in less then 6 ingame hours) - at summer 3rd i got 3 coffee-plants that give me 12 beans every second day - which i plant immediately until summer 18th, then i need to keepem - and 16 other coffee plants already growing. Im @ farming skill lvl 7, one lvl away from making my first kegs and i already got the materials for 5 of them ready, plus i got an whooping 25k left on me after buying summer seeds so i probably could get to the desert to make one round of starfruit when my first set of melons is done @Summer 11th. BUT i probably wont bother and just keep on harvesting the 60 hops i planted so i can spam ale for 300g - probably mid summer for 420g - every other day which will be the real money maker for my upgrades so i can be done with the house around the first winter week and start getting Iridium Sprinklers from Krobus early Fall.

My first year definitly will be going slow, until i get to make kegs - and more kegs, and even more kegs to brew myself some nice ale. My calculator says ill make myself a profit of ~425.000g after i processed all 1020 hops into pale ale. And thats just from the hops in the summer, Greenhouse should be built midfall 1st year and then the real fun will start ^o^

so... yeah - i might be too crazy about it, but its in the possibilities to make nice money in your first summer/fall, even tho it comes in delayed~

Go Salmonberry Energy-Boost - go! >;3

RynTyn likes this.
                          • Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

See, the thing is, though, I don't enjoy going all out crazy with stuff like hops, kegs, Floor 80+ by Spring 28, etc.

The problem is, these nerfs and SDV's system in general unfairly punishes players who want to run anything that looks like a normal farm. Some modest fields here, a barn over there, etc.

To get anywhere in SDV, you need to turn your farm into an industrial factory that produces ludicrous amounts of stuff that would compete with IRL food factories just to be able to afford anything, and that's not including the 1.1 content (c'mon, 16 MILLION gold total for that stuff? Oi).

Just because some players fill their entire farms with kegs and berry plants don't mean we all do or want to do that.

I don't like having to min-max my every action just to make a reasonable profit. I don't like being sub-20k all year long until winter because nothing gives enough money unless you do dozens and dozens of them.

That's the very thing I hated about Harvest Moon and why I loved Stardew Valley -- if you planted 20-30 blueberry/cranberry plants on your first year, you did reasonable enough that you didn't need a huge keg factory and all the min-maxing that is required to get that going on your first year.

I like to do a more relaxed playstyle, but yet I don't want it to take 3-4 years to get the CC done, to get my barn/coop up, etc.

This berry nerf punishes your Year 1 and the casual players, meanwhile the Min-Maxer Hardcore crowd is still laughing all the way to the bank with their ridiculous keg/honey/whatever farms.

So basically... it's bad to be a casual player? *sigh*

Why are all these farm games so obsessed with the idea that you must carefully pick and choose every single action you take, to make sure you outright maximize your efforts per day to utter efficiency?

Can't we just have a farm game for once where we can relax and have a reasonable looking farm and still do OK?

I'd love to know how you get barns, coops, and junk to do the animal bundles by midfall... or are you one of those Joja people who just buy everything?

I honestly cannot support the way the game is going if we're going to keep nerfing things like berries that first-year players could actually do for decent profits, to make it so you gotta min-max like crazy to set the artisan goods junk up as early as possible.

• Jrminot

Jrminot Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Huh, as of 1.0 I was able to turn gem berries into rare seeds in the seed maker. If that's changed, its new.

• ShneekeyTheLost

Not really, and I think you may have missed the point.

If you have 16 trees, 72 hops, and 32 starfruit... you actually out-perform ancient fruit. You can swap out starfruit for ancient fruit once you get it.

Barrels? I always have a ton of barrels. Heck, even for my ancient fruit, I had 116 barrels for turning all the ancient fruit into wine.

• Lysa

Lysa Space Penguin Leader

We can, just play for fun and relaxation and don't worry about min-maxing. It's a fun game if you treat it lightheartedly :) Leave the number-crunchers to do what they find fun and play your own way I say.

ShneekeyTheLost and RynTyn like this.
                                  • RynTyn

RynTyn Void-Bound Voyager

Agreed. Though reading on how to make a profit is interesting and I may use it for an already established file, for my new files I have my own goals to reach that don't include the min-maxing. And those are the decisions which make the game fun for me.

• Kickz

Kickz Space Penguin Leader

When you guys are done figuring this out can you all calculate the amount of kegs/cask and sheds we'll need? Hops sounds great until you realize how much room you'll need in your new smol farm

Filmstudy likes this.
                                      • ShneekeyTheLost

Well, Melons are now the cash crop for your first summer...

Blueberries now only sell for 50g each, and worse, two out of those three are guaranteed to be of normal quality. So, per plant, you're looking at 150 * 4 harvests = 600

Melons, on the other hand, sell for 250 each, and you get a decent chance for gold-star (especially with fertilizer that just costs you some otherwise worthless sap, and you'll be needing gold-star melons anyway for the quality bundle), so while that normally only comes out to 500 a month, you're looking at a quality differential that makes up for it. Plus, of course, the odd occasional large melon, depending on how you plan out your crops.

So yea... blueberries are now a 'plant one for the bundle' kind of thing. Yes, we've come to this.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I would love to do that very thing, but with the berry nerf... that means that it takes a couple years+ to finally get your farm set up the way you like it, rather than having most of it done by 2nd Summer.

Borodin and ChaosAzeroth like this.