1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial How-to install/fix missing libraries for starbound_server (32/64bit)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Jansen, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Jansen

Jansen Aquatic Astronaut

Thanks for that! Updated the OP.

2. n4n0

n4n0 Space Hobo

I'm getting this error without running the patch, and when I run your patch, it patches it to the previous version of the game.

./starbound_server: error while loading shared libraries: ./libc.so.6: unexpected PLT reloc type 0x25

3. Keridos

Keridos Intergalactic Tourist

Does not work in the newest update? Getting a bad lexical cast error now:
    Code:
    Info: No modding directory found.
    Info: Creating Star::Root with 1 assets sources and config file: './starbound.config'
    Info: Loading Star::Assets from: '../assets'
    Info: Loading Star::Root...
    Info: Loading Star::Configuration from './starbound.config'
    Info: Shutting down Star::Root
    Error: Fatal Exception Caught: BadLexicalCast:
    ./starbound_server(_ZN4Star13StarExceptionC1Ev+0xd5) [0x869ad75]
    ./starbound_server() [0x82dbec2]
    ./starbound_server() [0x82dc5a6]
    ./starbound_server(_ZNK4Star7Variant8toDoubleEv+0x4b) [0x867c71b]
    ./starbound_server(_ZNK4Star7Variant2toERf+0x11) [0x867c871]
    ./starbound_server(_ZNK4Star7Variant4pgetIfEET_RKNS_6StringERKS2_+0x64) [0x8683be4]
    ./starbound_server(_ZNK4Star7Variant8getFloatERKNS_6StringEf+0x1f) [0x867e0cf]
    ./starbound_server() [0x81aaa8a]
    ./starbound_server() [0x81ab513]
    ./starbound_server() [0x81ab62e]
    ./starbound_server() [0x81abb15]
    ./starbound_server(_ZN4Star15LiquidsDatabase4loadEv+0x1708) [0x8363f78]
    ./starbound_server() [0x8186f32]
    ./starbound_server() [0x818b6d5]
    ./starbound_server() [0x815ee6a]
    /home/starbound/starbound-server/bin/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe6) [0xb7484e16]
    ./starbound_server() [0x8163c2d]

4. Jansen

Jansen Aquatic Astronaut

Looks like you have to apply the patch.
    My patch only changes a string in the server. Patching it to a previous version of the game seems unlikely. How do you know that it gets patched to an old version?

The server is running fine here. Are you sure that you are using my libraries? Perhaps Steam replaced some of my libs with the ones from the starbound devs.

5. n4n0

n4n0 Space Hobo

Nevermind, was a derp on my end. I had an old serverfile that I was transferring over because they pushed an update all sneaky like that I wasn't aware of. Your patcher works like a charm. Thanks.

6. Keridos

I used the libraries from the official debian wheezy repositories.

7. Jansen

Jansen Aquatic Astronaut

Do you see the error if you use my libs?

8. arcanemagick

arcanemagick Space Hobo

Hi! This is a helpful thread. I'm using a distro based on an older CentOS release.
    I'd like to contribute that it is possible to use an alternate (newer) loader without patching the starbound_server executable...

I am currently launching the server with a command similar to this:
    Code:
    ./ld-linux.so.2 --library-path ./ ./starbound_server
    Simply place the alternate loader in the Starbound Linux directory with the other library files noted/provided by the OP, and modify your launch script appropriately. The above is explicitly calling the alternate loader rather than the system trying to load the default (/lib/ld-linux.so.2 or whatever). There are two advantages: 1) the executable doesn't need to be patched with each update; and 2) the alternate loader is not placed in /tmp where it may be expunged.

SolSoCoG, Maffi and Jansen like this.
  9. Keridos

yes i do

10. Jansen

Jansen Aquatic Astronaut

Wow, neat trick! I've edited the OP. Thanks!

Maffi likes this.
  11. Maffi

Maffi Astral Cartographer

Thank you guys! This is the most useful thread in this whole forum! :up:

I now proudly run starbound_server on FreeBSD 9.1 in a Debian wheezy userland jail with a faked linux 2.16.26 kernel.

PS: I tried, but unfortunately I coud not get it to run in linux_base_f10 compat, once i had every library dependency somewhat satisfied, starbound itself threw this exception... funfact: that is not my pastebin, i found it with google :confused:)

12. Erdnussknacker

Erdnussknacker Void-Bound Voyager

I tried all of the above and I'm still getting the following error message:
    Code:
    ./starbound_server: /lib32/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.12' not found (required by ./starbound_server)
    Before that, I got some other errors, but I fixed them by linking "libstdc++.so.6" using
    Code:
    ln -s /home/starbound/SteamCMD/linux32/libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++.so.6
    Now only the first error is left. I'm using Debian 6 (64-Bit) and I tried to run the server in 32- and 64-Bit.

-> Never mind, I managed to fix it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  13. HanFox

HanFox Guest

For Arch all I had to do was
    Code:
    pacman -S libpng12
    In the past I have had to mess around with symlinks, too, but not this time.

Jansen likes this.
  14. Jansen

Jansen Aquatic Astronaut

Could you tell us how you fixed it? :)

15. froGHead

froGHead Void-Bound Voyager

Hey guys.
    Is there anyone with server startup problems on furious koala too? I reinstalled the whole game and repeated this tutorial here. the launch-script doesn't exists anymore. Directly starting the server-file results in the old ...

The tutorial solved that error (and others) for angry koala on my debian but now...

16. Jansen

Jansen Aquatic Astronaut

Hi, the old launcher script told the program where to look for libraries. Try this command
    Code:
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./starbound_server

17. froGHead

Thx Jansen. But since my launcher script does not exist anymore, could you please post the whole content of the file.
    Thanks in advance and thanks a lot for the nice tutorial. Saved hours (or days) of trial and error... :up:

18. Jansen

Jansen Aquatic Astronaut

Hi froGHead, pasting and running this command should be enough to start the server.

19. froGHead

Nice. Thx!!!

20. vulpineblazeyt

vulpineblazeyt Intergalactic Tourist

I attempted the below command since I am having similar problems, and got the below message.
    Code:
    ~/starbound/linux64$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./starbound_server
    ./starbound_server: error while loading shared libraries: __vdso_time: invalid mode for dlopen(): Invalid argument

Please reply if anyone has seen/fixed this?