Tool how to get a live view of you log on window, mac and linux

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by C0bra5, Dec 23, 2015.

1. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

I've been looking for a way to get a live view of my log for a while now but i finally found a way to get some live view of my logs.

On Windows:
    1. open windows power shell
      • either search for the powershell and run it, or do win+x(execute) and enter powershell and it should open
    2. enter this command
      please note that if you do not have the game on steam you will have to change the path to your starbound log file path.
      Code:
      Get-Content "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\starbound.log" -Wait
    3. have a live view of your log!
    on unix(mac,linux)
    1. open the terminal
    2. enter this in the terminal
      i don't have a machine to test it on but it should work.
      also if your starbound isn't installed in steam default directory you will have to change the path
      Code:
      tail -f ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/starbound.log
    3. in theory you should be done
    welp have fun modding away!

Errors4l and lazarus78 like this.
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Pop that in a batch and you will be golden. Good information.

And.... it looks like its not that easy... hmmm

:rofl: I missed the part where you said to open a power shell... Whoops.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  3. Monijir

Monijir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I guess people typically run Starbound from Steam, but if you start the game from a terminal, that terminal will print out everything that's being logged in real time. There are also several command line options the most useful is -loglevel, which controls the level of detail SB is going to log - helps a great deal for things like troubleshooting microdungeon spawns. You just add -loglevel [debug or warn or error or log]. So for linuxy people it would look like this:
    Code:
    $ ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Starbound/linux64/starbound -loglevel debug
    I don't mess with Steam often but IIRC there's an advanced tab under the game's properties that allows you to add command line options.

bk3k, lornlynx and lazarus78 like this.